OM642 Oil change procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi lads
I have read on many forums and seen a few 'you tube' vids stating that when filling the OM642 Engine, half the oil must go in via the filter housing.

Some say this primes the oil pump, others say it lubes the big end bearings.

Is this an urban myth that has 'grown legs' by being repeated umpteen times on the internet or has it a sound basis in fact?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Linctex
What does the service manual say?

Hi
I have not seen a service manual. I presume you mean what a dealer would use?

Can I just add my 0M642 is in a Jeep not a Merc'. The pieces I have followed about this are all Jeep Forums and 'You Tube' vids. May be a 'Jeep thing'?

Thanks.

There was absolutely nothing at the dealers about this when I was there, and in Houston for 2 weeks of tech training. we used to fill through the filter housing only to not have to take the oil cap off, on the earliers ones they would seize to the head and using pliers would often snap the top off, so we just avoided taking it off.

Originally Posted by Audios
There was absolutely nothing at the dealers about this when I was there, and in Houston for 2 weeks of tech training. we used to fill through the filter housing only to not have to take the oil cap off, on the earliers ones they would seize to the head and using pliers would often snap the top off, so we just avoided taking it off.

Hi
Thanks for helping

Were you Jeep tech or Mercedes? I am guessing doing the complete fill through the filter housing would satisfy any 'need' to lube bearings or prime oil pump.

As a layman I just presumed however you put the oil in it just heads for the sump.

I notice you run a 2007 Mercedes GL320 CDI. OM642? If so do you just fill using oil filler and have you had any issues on start up?

Many thanks.

Originally Posted by Linctex
What does the service manual say?

Hi
I found a service manual but they do not cover the Diesel engine.

I honestly wouldnt think it matters. If the filter is out the bypass is activated, so its all just draining down into the sump. If it was that important there would be a TSB accompanying it somewhere.

Originally Posted by Audios
There was absolutely nothing at the dealers about this when I was there, and in Houston for 2 weeks of tech training. We used to fill through the filter housing only to not have to take the oil cap off, on the earlier ones they would seize to the head and using pliers would often snap the top off, so we just avoided taking it off.

I think this is your best answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back