Dealer Markup on Jeep Gladiator High as $20,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen several driving around my area. But 4wd trucks and SUV's dominate here with the heavy snowfall every year.

Originally Posted by Miller88
The people on TFL managed to smoke the brakes on one with their towing test. Apparently it doesn't have a tow/haul mode and won't hold itself back on hills. It a truck that seems to retail for $50K. Crazy!

I watched that tow test. Pretty pathetic attempt at a "truck" by Jeep. No Tow Haul Mode, no brake controller, small bed. Not much of a truck. And loud and cheaply made. It was funny watching it struggle pulling the trailer up the hill - upGood luck FCA after the initial newness wears off - it's a niche vehicle inside of a niche vehicle.

Like most Wranglers, they will end up being "Bro or Bro-ette" vehicles and will never see off road.

Originally Posted by mbacfp
Only mark up I ever encountered at a dealer was on the Charger Hellcat. One dealer had a $7,500 markup...what a joke.

Trust me there is higher but 3 years later its still in the Showroom.

Originally Posted by itguy08
The people on TFL managed to smoke the brakes on one with their towing test. Apparently it doesn't have a tow/haul mode and won't hold itself back on hills. It a truck that seems to retail for $50K. Crazy!

I watched that tow test. Pretty pathetic attempt at a "truck" by Jeep. No Tow Haul Mode, no brake controller, small bed. Not much of a truck. And loud and cheaply made. It was funny watching it struggle pulling the trailer up the hill - upGood luck FCA after the initial newness wears off - it's a niche vehicle inside of a niche vehicle.

Like most Wranglers, they will end up being "Bro or Bro-ette" vehicles and will never see off road.

I was really surprised at how much better the Ranger and Tacoma did. Wouldn't expect a midsize truck to do as well as those two did.

There have been a few cars that commanded higher than MSRP until the factories opened the flood gates. The Ford Taurus, P.T. Cruiser come to mind.

too many doors + toooo many dollars!! any 4WD truck is way overpriced to begin with as noted by big rebates. with the new "regular" jeeps still having issues the gladiator will be similar!!

Originally Posted by mbacfp
Only mark up I ever encountered at a dealer was on the Charger Hellcat. One dealer had a $7,500 markup...what a joke.

.. you think THAT's bad?

[Linked Image]

Its just underpowered for the max, or upper threshold, of the stated tow capacity. Screams at redline almost the entire way up, and cant control it on the way down. Maybe later versions, supposedly with diesel, will fare better.

Originally Posted by kkreit01
I read that also. I guess that explains why there are hardly any on the road yet.

Yep. The Jeep Gladiator are very ugly.

Cool concept vehicle for car show, not so good for daily driving.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by Kira
Can we list other vehicles which have gone over sticker?

In the early 2000s we went to look at an Accord. There was a little sticker in the window beside the factory one , ADP - $500

ADP was "added dealer profit". Never looked at a Honda again.

By the early nineties, Accord supply had pretty well caught up with demand with Honda's huge Ohio output, so dealer markups were pretty much a thing of the past, while they were common in the eighties on Honda and Toyota cars.
In 1999, I bought my then new now junked 1999 Accord LX 4 dr 5 spd for $16,800, which was more than two grand off sticker.
Sticks were still pretty common then and the dealer we bought the car from had a bunch in stock.
Back OT, I kinda doubt that very many if any folks who can actually afford one of these tough looking but not very useful trucklettes would pony up anything at all over sticker, much less 20K.
Most people who have the hitting power to finance or buy outright one of these didn't get that way by being stupid or unable to negotiate.

I can literally buy TWO Nissan Frontiers, for the price of ONE Gladiator.

The Gladiator is a cool machine. But the MSRP is way too high.

Just price it about 4k higher than a topped off Sahara Wrangler.

A vehicle is worth whatever the market is willing to pay for it. Corporations are extremely greedy entities, so when something potentially hot in the market comes along, they want to take advantage of that situation.
Given that the Jeep brand is pretty much on fire lately, it is really a no surprise they want to take as much money from the eager early buyers as possible before the excitement dies down.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
A vehicle is worth whatever the market is willing to pay for it. Corporations are extremely greedy entities, so when something potentially hot in the market comes along, they want to take advantage of that situation.
Given that the Jeep brand is pretty much on fire lately, it is really a no surprise they want to take as much money from the eager early buyers as possible before the excitement dies down.

Exactly. I don't understand why so many in this thread oppose free market capitalism.

Once production fully ramps up, the dealer markup will disappear and then the discounts/rebates will begin.
Look at the pricing cycle of the Challenger Hellcat.

Originally Posted by itguy08

I was really surprised at how much better the Ranger and Tacoma did. Wouldn't expect a midsize truck to do as well as those two did.

Ford and Toyota understand how to build a proper truck that functions well and is useful as a truck. Fiat on the other hand...

FCA builds plenty of proper trucks and I'd put a Ram up against anything from Ford or Toyota any time.
You can also buy a proper truck from FCA, Ford, Toyota, GM or Nissan for a lot less money than a Gladiator.
The machine in question in this thread is meant as a profile piece and not really a proper truck.
I do find the Wrangler Unlimited and this demi-truck interation of it to be ridiculously overpriced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back