Pickup Bed Liner: Spray-on or Drop-in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by tony1679
Neither. Seriously. What's so bad about scratching the paint in the bed? I've never understood this
21.gif

If you use a drop in, they collect water like crazy and rust out the bed.

If you use a spray in/roll-on, you completely and effectively ruined the paint anyway. Do you know what's involved getting spray-in bedliners removed? The paint has to be scraped beyond any recognition. So why not just leave it alone, save the cash, and roll around with a few scratches here and there? Think of it as a badge of honor. It shows you ACTUALLY use a truck AS a truck.

Spray-in bedliners are for Raptors that haul around car seats, where the biggest payload they'll ever see is the Power Wheels version of said Raptor.

I use my truck with a spray in bedliner to build houses... and to deal with everything connected to that.. Apparently though, that makes me some sort of poser... who isn't using my truck as a truck?

A truck doesn't have to look used, and be all scratched, dented and dinged... to prove that is has been used. It is a thing called pride in ownership.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Drop-ins wreck the bed, spray ins are hard to sweep out and can possibly block the bed drains.

Work truck = no bedliner, possibly bed mat/ horse stall mat (cowboy mode engaged).
Soccer mom mobile = spray in.

If applied correctly the spray ins do not block the drain holes. My 2011 now drains water from the bed like it should, unlike the drop in that held water in the bed if it was not parked with the rear end of the truck lower than the front.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by philipp10
Neither. Seriously. What's so bad about scratching the paint in the bed? I've never understood this
21.gif

If you use a spray in/roll-on, you completely and effectively ruined the paint anyway. Do you know what's involved getting spray-in bedliners removed? The paint has to be scraped beyond any recognition. So why not just leave it alone, save the cash, and roll around with a few scratches here and there? Think of it as a badge of honor. It shows you ACTUALLY use a truck AS a truck.

Spray-in bedliners are for Raptors that haul around car seats, where the biggest payload they'll ever see is the Power Wheels version of said Raptor.

agree. What's the point of a truck if you don't want to scratch the bed? Never understood the baby hauler truck.

The point may be that some people just like to take care of their stuff. I haul lumber and gravel and metal and bikes and camping gear in my trucks without beating the crap out of them. Plus, at some point REAL MEN who scratch their trucks get to buy nice used ones. My neighbor has a Raptor like described...so what? You should be happy.

I agree. I bought mine to haul recreational equipment, hunting equipment, a Honda ATV, a kayak, weekend odd jobs and for towing. For this purpose the spray in works very well. If my livelihood required the use of a truck for hauling gravel, wood, mulch, brick or for general farm use, I'd still put some type of liner to help protect the bed.

Spray in, hands down. They resist scratches and dents, and provide a nice no-slip grip. They clean up easily enough with a brush.

Scratched paint = corrosion.

Drop ins are nice and easier to clean, but as some have noted they are slick when wet and they will eventually rub the paint away underneath them.

Originally Posted by Elkins45
All depends on which factors you value more.

The only correct answer.

21.gif

If you plan on keeping the truck until the wheels fall off, nothing. But most people will eventually sell or trade in and a clean bedliner will look much better than a scratched and dented bare bed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mrsilv04
21.gif

I use my truck with a spray in bedliner to build houses... and to deal with everything connected to that.. Apparently though, that makes me some sort of poser... who isn't using my truck as a truck?

A truck doesn't have to look used, and be all scratched, dented and dinged... to prove that is has been used. It is a thing called pride in ownership.

Okay, but why did you get a spray-in bedliner? Apparently "pride in ownership" and so it's not "all scratched, dented and dinged." But stop and truly think for a second. The latter applies strictly to the paint, because dents and dings can happen regardless of a spray-in liner. How is the paint treating you now? Oh, wait, you can't see it anymore. Nor will you ever again, because it's destroyed now.

Apparently "pride in ownership" somehow means a spray-in bedliner is necessary these days
21.gif

Pride in ownership... does that mean I should buy a K&N to make my engine bay look pretty, run straight pipes to make it sound "pretty", and lower my truck to where it scrapes over pebbles, too? No, all of the above are trash, and have nothing to do with pride of ownership. They're superficial, have negative effects, and are a waste of money.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by atikovi
21.gif

If you plan on keeping the truck until the wheels fall off, nothing. But most people will eventually sell or trade in and a clean bedliner will look much better than a scratched and dented bare bed.
So basically people in the city have no idea what a truck should be purchased/used for. Got it. Now I understand why we're putting 4 cylinder engines in full-size trucks.
smirk2.gif

Where I live it's farms, ranches, and oifield crews with PU's … there are more Super Duty's on the lots than F150's ... and yes there are some there that prefer them to cars and do lots of light utility things with them.
So they all have different things they do with beds - and some just buy cab and chassis and custom build a flat bed. These are not soccer mom's. Point is they all do what they think works for them - or the company.
Me? The last two trucks I bought already had one or the other - I'm putting a mat in there regardless.
Anyway, this thread could of been to compare two ways to protect a PU bed - or it could have been used to judge people.

Okay, but why did you get a spray-in bedliner? Apparently "pride in ownership" and so it's not "all scratched, dented and dinged." But stop and truly think for a second. The latter applies strictly to the paint, because dents and dings can happen regardless of a spray-in liner. How is the paint treating you now? Oh, wait, you can't see it anymore. Nor will you ever again, because it's destroyed now.

Apparently "pride in ownership" somehow means a spray-in bedliner is necessary these days
21.gif

Pride in ownership... does that mean I should buy a K&N to make my engine bay look pretty, run straight pipes to make it sound "pretty", and lower my truck to where it scrapes over pebbles, too? No, all of the above are trash, and have nothing to do with pride of ownership. They're superficial, have negative effects, and are a waste of money.

What a load of wank.

A spray in bedliner protects the bed from dents, dings, and scratches. So it's not shiny paint, but it is still a durable surface that cleans up well and is easy to care for while using your bed for its intended purpose.

What you consider a waste of money, people enjoy. If someone enjoys having a spray in bedliner, a CAI, and an exhaust, how is that your problem?

We have a guy who started a detail, car stereo, etc type place. He set up one bay of the old gas station to do Rhino - now, the dealerships keep him hooked up big time - and they have body shops that are too busy with body repairs to even do the beds anymore.
People want this stuff while the truck is new.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

21.gif

What a load of wank.
Name one thing I said that's wrong...
35.gif
24.gif

The amount of judging and preaching here is insane sometimes.

I went to.option 4. Option 1 was a drop in. Got tired of stuff sliding around on those. Option 2 was a spray in. Between cost, ensuring correct application, and permancy, I wasn't thrilled. Option 3 was leave it bare. My choice to not leave it that way, and I don't have to defend my use of a truck.

Option 4 was a dualiner. Hard plastic like a drop in on the sides and tailgate. Rubber floor mat on the bottom so no sliding stuff in the bed. I pull the mat out every now and then (easy to do) and hose things out. No scratching of the bed. Ordered direct from the manufacturer and installed easily. No complaints 3 years in.

Originally Posted by MNgopher

I went to.option 4. Option 1 was a drop in. Got tired of stuff sliding around on those. Option 2 was a spray in. Between cost, ensuring correct application, and permancy, I wasn't thrilled. Option 3 was leave it bare. My choice to not leave it that way, and I don't have to defend my use of a truck.

Option 4 was a dualiner. Hard plastic like a drop in on the sides and tailgate. Rubber floor mat on the bottom so no sliding stuff in the bed. I pull the mat out every now and then (easy to do) and hose things out. No scratching of the bed. Ordered direct from the manufacturer and installed easily. No complaints 3 years in.

Now this actually makes sense, and is the thought process everyone should have when deciding on this...
01.gif

I vote spray in. Durable finish that should avoid rusting when it gets scraped up--because it should avoid getting gouged up. The fact that it is a rough surface can go either way--good for walking on, or preventing items from sliding while moving, but then it's harder to slide things around when loading/unloading.

Didn't have a choice on my truck, it came with a liner sprayed on. Other than a chip on the tailgate it has held up just fine. Even with a cap on it I think I prefer the liner, it's just not going to get scratched up and rusty from loading/unloading boxes and items. Which might make it last longer, certainly makes it look better. But to each their own.

When I bought my truck in 98, I was sure that a I didn't want a drop in and spray want big yet. I got a bed mat. Still have it in there.

After 20 years of hauling stuff for DIY, there are some scratches. No rust because I have a soft tonneau over top. I'm thinking to do a spray in liner though to. Over some of that damage, then put my bed mat and tonneau back on.

Option 5. DIY. I rolled 2 gallons of the stuff in my bed. Cost $50 with the tools. Has worked well enough, but some of it has scratched off with use. I like it that when it's wet, I'm not as likely to slide around as I did on clear-coat paint. The aluminum bed beneath has lost a few small chunks of AL with objects that gouge through the coating, but, if I cared I could also DIY touch-up.

Later moving to a cap, I like having carpet in there as things don't slide on carpet over the rubbery coating. Things stay put nicely.

NOTE- the detriment to DIY is that it's a PITA to scuff all the paint in a pickup bed. I'll admit to not being thorough in that step.

Originally Posted by MNgopher

Good to read an actual owner of DualLiner giving a review. Biggest problem is they don't have product for all brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back