Motorcycles-Vehicle Accident in NH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yikes, that's horrendous.

Just a guess of course, but my first feeling is the truck carries a lot of the blame. That's the kind of thing that happens when someone loses control of a big vehicle at the wrong time.

As many here know, I drive a lot. I've seen some horrific accidents. It always seems that the worst ones are when a vehicle crosses a lane or the center divider into oncoming traffic. Whether it's a drunk, a blowout or cellphone activity, the result is often like the picture above.

Probably the oddest crash was when a Kia SUV lost a front strut + wheel and tire assembly in the middle lane of I-95, while going more than 80MPH. It rolled horrifically, seemingly forever, but hit nobody. The tire and strut assembly went on a wild path that took out a few cars.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Yikes, that's horrendous.

Just a guess of course, but my first feeling is the truck carries a lot of the blame. That's the kind of thing that happens when someone loses control of a big vehicle at the wrong time.

Yeah, I'm looking at that trailer and wondering if/how his stopping distance was compromised. The fire is also an odd thing... how'd that happen, did it distract the truck driver.

I'm also curious though if they're on a blind curve, and if they had one of those guys stopping traffic so they could all ride together.

Godspeed to the dead. Hopefully the riding is good where they are going.

Good thoughts and peace for the family and survivors. Hopefully none of the survivors will be badly disabled. And some way can be found to pay for all the crippling medical bills.

Pointless to speculate on causes now. It will come out.

At least they were out riding not sitting in a starbucks.

Rod

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
At least they were out riding not sitting in a starbucks.

+1

At least they were doing what they enjoyed
thumbsup2.gif

Lots of speculation on the cause, based on one or two photos...

We don't yet know how or why the truck ended up where it did.

I'll reserve judgement until the facts are known.

Condolences to the families and friends of the deceased and injured.

Another article I read had a link to a twitter post with a witness claiming the truck was coming from the other direction and crossed the center line.

Accidents like this are why I've always had a phobia about riding in packs. Someone crosses the line, pulls out in front of you, or whatever. No room for evasive maneuvering.

Certainly sad for all

Originally Posted by stoan
Another article I read had a link to a twitter post with a witness claiming the truck was coming from the other direction and crossed the center line.

Accidents like this are why I've always had a phobia about riding in packs. Someone crosses the line, pulls out in front of you, or whatever. No room for evasive maneuvering.

Certainly sad for all

It was Thursday around 3 PM and a bunch of bikers (8-10) headed south on the FL Turnpike... most likely headed to the Keys for the weekend.

I see an idiot motorist from the far left lane swerve across 4 lanes of traffic, barely missing the bikers and almost wrecks other cars to make their exit ramp.

Accidents like this are common, so are idiots on cellphone taking out a bunch or riders.

The name of the truck driver has been released and more information on the riders. I thought that was a trailer behind the truck I saw in the pic but wasn't sure if part of the accident, that now confirmed.

I too will reserve judgement until investigation complete. May the deceased RIP. Tragic doesn't even seem to do this event justice.

https://www.wmur.com/article/seriou...-shuts-down-route-2-in-randolph/28143655

Not a problem - Kia covers that wheel and strut assy for 100k miles

Worse I came up on was a fuel truck went sideways in the rain - and another fully loaded 18 wheeler hit him mid way in the tank … needless to say no survivors and that included many oak trees on both sides of the two lane road

Last edited:
Interesting to hear them talk about how big the investigation is, and that they're looking for people who saw the truck before the accident. They must suspect, or the driver is claiming, a mechanical fault of some kind.

I question the release of the drivers name without charging him. A lot of people are going to be figuring out his address and phone number. Of course, if it's his fault he deserves it, but it sounds like they haven't decided that yet.

Can't say I'm surprised to hear/read how big the investigation will be. Obviously the magnitude of the accident and loss of life, the main reason. Also the annual Laconia Bike rally is one the biggest and it brings a large amount of revenue to area and the state each year. Reading in the previous press release that the Governor offered all the resources available also no surprise to me.

I think a thorough investigation is warranted and now reading the NTSB has joined the investigation, I expect no stone left unturned to get to the bottom of it.

As for releasing the drivers name, I'd imagine the authorities felt that the media would get the name on their own eventually so released it proactively.

Originally Posted by stoan

Certainly sad for all

Agree

It's a 3/4 ton truck towing an empty car trailer, and I would hope a single car trailer at that, though I can't tell from the pictures.

Odd that a transportation company would run such a light setup. I've seen those gooseneck 1.5 ton trucks with the long-ish trailers that hold three cars which makes more sense.

It's still possible that it was any of three things-- mechanical failure, truck driver error, motorcyclist error.

According to an article in my morning paper (AP) the truck drivers name is Volodoymyr Zhukovskyy, 23 years old and an employee of a Springfield, Massachusetts company called Westfield Transport. He survived and has not been charged.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back