Get in the Pollution Zone

Status
Not open for further replies.
not terribly surprising... every AZ i've turned in used oil to, it was like pulling teeth to get them to do so, and oil filters? Fuggehdaboutit.... they just point to the nearest trash can.

Oreilly, polar opposite. they have a can next to the oil tank specifically for oil filters. half the time at my local, as soon as i say used oil, they just ask me if i know where the tank is, and tell me to "go on back"

the only oreilly that's been different than that is on main st in Columbus, OH. (roughly Main & James) just around the corner from my buddy's house. I had changed the oil in his vibe, and his brother's Neon(my old car). they wouldn't take the filters, and said that the "tank was full, and had been for a few weeks,the boss won't call it in" but the way the guy said it, sounded a lot more like, "it's too close to closing, and i don't wanna mess with this."

ended up having to haul a(n enclosed) drain pan with 9 qts of oil, and 2 filters back 100 mi home with me, to drop at MY Oreilly the next day.

Yeah what earlyre said is true... O Reilly's is the only place I know of that takes used oil filters.

Last edited:
That story is surprising-Safety Kleen pumps out the used oil tanks from AZ here, and lead acid batteries are worth (at least) a few $ when recycled. Why would AZ risk a likely HUGE California fine by doing it wrong?

Originally Posted by earlyre
not terribly surprising... every AZ i've turned in used oil to, it was like pulling teeth to get them to do so, and oil filters? Fuggehdaboutit.... they just point to the nearest trash can.

Oreilly, polar opposite. they have a can next to the oil tank specifically for oil filters. half the time at my local, as soon as i say used oil, they just ask me if i know where the tank is, and tell me to "go on back"

the only oreilly that's been different than that is on main st in Columbus, OH. (roughly Main & James) just around the corner from my buddy's house. I had changed the oil in his vibe, and his brother's Neon(my old car). they wouldn't take the filters, and said that the "tank was full, and had been for a few weeks,the boss won't call it in" but the way the guy said it, sounded a lot more like, "it's too close to closing, and i don't wanna mess with this."

ended up having to haul a(n enclosed) drain pan with 9 qts of oil, and 2 filters back 100 mi home with me, to drop at MY Oreilly the next day.

I believe it. I've had trouble with all of the parts stores in Columbus taking used oil for recycling. There was an Advance Auto Parts in Clintonville on N High that always had a sign on the door stating "oil tank full".
The store employees were always bothered when you wanted to buy something.

I went to the nearby Napa and was told "we don't recycle used oil". I said good, left the used oil on the counter and walked out.

The Advance Auto closed and became a paint store.

[Linked Image]

There is an assumption that part stores are supposed to take back used oil but most are just not equipped to do that. Regional recycling centres are the answer.
Our local Canadian Tire absolutely refuses to take used oil.
Here is a shot of our regional site.

24C985A1-1D81-4823-BBF1-E4B681E5BB42.jpeg

Last edited:
Reading the article it sounds like customers and employees were throwing "hazardous" garbage into the dumpster. When I worked at AZ some 15 or 20 years ago all we recycled were batteries and oil. Anything else went in the trash, or we told customers that we couldn't take. What happens then? They get upset, turn around, throw it away in the garbage cans outside and then leave. But that was the midwest, not CA.

O'Reilly built a store right next door to my local AZ. It's about 200ft closer to me, and they're always friendly and recycle my oil and filters with no problems.

We have a large number of used oil/antifreeze/battery drop off spots in Florida. Makes it easy. Costs nothing. Generally located at recycling centers and of course the county dump.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
That story is surprising-Safety Kleen pumps out the used oil tanks from AZ here, and lead acid batteries are worth (at least) a few $ when recycled. Why would AZ risk a likely HUGE California fine by doing it wrong?

Well the story isn't mainly about used oil...

District Attorneys' offices throughout California conducted 56 inspections of dumpster bins at 49 separate AutoZone facilities. These investigations found numerous instances of unlawful disposal of hazardous waste including batteries, aerosol cans, electronic devices, and hundreds of discarded bottles and other receptacles containing automotive fluids and other regulated hazardous waste. These investigative efforts revealed that AutoZone allowed its customers to deposit hazardous automotive fluids and other waste items into regular trash containers in AutoZone stores' parking lots throughout California. AutoZone facilities in 45 counties in California were found by the prosecuting offices to have committed these environmental violations. It is estimated that AutoZone illegally disposed of over five million hazardous waste items in California.

I am sure in CA it is probably illegal to throw out an can of spray paint or a AA battery. They probably want businesses to have separate dumpsters for every single type of waste.
Whats illegal in CA is likely not illegal in other states.

Here all the autoparts chains and wallmart take back used oil with out drama. Paint stores take back paint. Most town transfer stations take back oil, antifreeze, etc.
The water company takes anything back.
Make it a pain and expensive and people will just dump it out back.
California could probably get better results with the carrot rather then the stick.

Screen Shot 2019-06-22 at 9.28.21 AM.png

The closest AZ to me has no problem selling fluids but won't take any of it back.. hence why I rarely visit them. Thankfully I have curbside for oil and AF, everything else sits on the shelf waiting for the next dump run.

Originally Posted by John_K
I'll have to try Oreilly. The Walmart TLE here laughed when I asked about recycling filters.

They are idiots. Just leave the filter beside the oil next time. My TLE probably does 20-30 oil changes a day. We recycle the oil and the filters. Customers bring in their filters all the time. We have this big dumpster that holds the filters. It is completely full in about a month. That would be a lot of oil filters in the garbage.

We simply don't have those kind of centers in most of the country.
Parts stores are supposed to take this stuff back.... except for antifreeze... No one takes it aside from semi- annual hazmat pick ups, which usually charge you by the pound.... ( If you have a municipal sanitary sewer, they say you can just flush antifreeze... Not if you have a septic system, then you're stuck)

It's law here in NY - if you sell oil you must take used oil back for recycling. Presumably there are exceptions for Mom & Pop places that only have a couple of dusty quart bottles on the shelf. Not sure about filters.

I just take both to the local transfer station, where they also accept AF. We have a (mostly) yearly hazardous waste day where I can drop off brake fluid and other chemicals that are not accepted for recycling.

Originally Posted by BozoDeClowne
It's law here in NY - if you sell oil you must take used oil back for recycling. Presumably there are exceptions for Mom & Pop places that only have a couple of dusty quart bottles on the shelf. Not sure about filters.

I live outside of Buffalo NY and I'm not sure how this law applies. My local CarQuest won't accept used oil and says they don't have to. They'll direct you across the street to the little auto repair shop that has a waste oil furnace. I've encountered other stores like this too over the years. Local Napas and Autozones have always been great about taking used oil. For my filters, I cut them open to drain, then bag and toss them. I should save them in 5gal pails like I used to.

An AutoZone here (the one where the latest mail bomber was arrested) has told me that they will not take more than 5 quarts of used oil.

When I pointed out that they sell 2.5 gallon containers of new oil, they were not amused. They were less amused when I told them about how many cars these days have large sumps that take 7-9 quarts.

I understand they don't want the illegitimate "shops" solving their problems by using the AZ to drop of gallons of used oil, but a 5 quart limit is just stupid.

One of the few things Illinois does right is that there is a permanent hazardous waste collection site in the far west/southwest suburbs so my oil/fluorescent bulbs/etc. go there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back