Tire tech left my car smelling like BO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Egg_Head
Give the guy a break. He's humping it all day busting his pumpkin and yes he's going to perspire. This isn't Nordstrom's, it's a freaking garage.

This. He actually works for a living.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Its summer and this mean the guy is working hard. Its a hazard you the consumer risks.

I'd find a different shop if it were me. Anyone is capable of basic hygiene even if you "work for a living" or are "busting his pumpkin". Wear deodorant, it makes a better impression on your customers.

Me finding a different place is the hazard that shop takes when they let dirty smelly techs operate customer vehicles.

I had a similar thing happen in a rental car in Las Vegas years ago . I used the valet at the Bellagio , picked the car up couple hours later and boom it was like a bomb went off . I could taste it the smell was so strong . Drove directly to Hertz and explained the situation to them , brought the guy out to smell for himself and we both laughed so hard we both had tears . They gave me another car no big deal , made for a good story anyway . Life is too short to get upset over small things . I'm sure a pro can get it clean .

I'm sure everyone here has never had that moment at work when the breakfast burritos kicked in at the wrong time or spilled something on themselves or stepped in something on the way to work.

Life happens. Move on.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Its summer and this mean the guy is working hard. Its a hazard you the consumer risks.

I'd find a different shop if it were me. Anyone is capable of basic hygiene even if you "work for a living" or are "busting his pumpkin". Wear deodorant, it makes a better impression on your customers.

Me finding a different place is the hazard that shop takes when they let dirty smelly techs operate customer vehicles.

I'd love to see how you smell after working 6 hours in a tire shop in 80-degree temperatures.

Though I'm sure you would never stoop to that level, with your nose so high in the air.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Originally Posted by kschachn

I'd love to see how you smell after working 6 hours in a tire shop in 80-degree temperatures.

Though I'm sure you would never stoop to that level, with your nose so high in the air.

Funny, I work with a bunch of guys in a literal dust bowl and it touched 117° outside last week. Most of us will put in 1-1.5 hours in at the gym during shift, which is also out in the hangar. None of us have BO, even after 12 hours on, that would stink up a car just from sitting in it.

I mean, I get being a little funky because you work - but to stink up a car that you drove into and out of the shop? I'd hate to work with the guy, and I'd be (quite reasonably) upset if my car smelt like old milk and onions after a set of tires. My B-I-L works UPS preload in NC and his 4 year old Scion doesn't smell like BO; those guys work HARD.

I doubt I would say anything but if the car stinks just from the few minutes someone was in there it's more than just a days accumulation of working. Can you imagine what his car and house smells like!

What he never heard of deodorant, and can't take a shower?
Give me a break.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by Kira
My friend's '97 F-150 was owned and driven by a funky fat man.
This guy fell against his own vehicle and noticeably damaged the box ahead of the LR wheel.

lol.gif

Originally Posted by KrisZ
I would not mind the odor, some guys and gals sweat like crazy and no amount of deodorant will help when you're working physically and in hot environments, which mehcanic's shops usually are.
Interior stains, however, I would not tolerate.

Thing is biologically speaking, (excepting rare medical issues) if a person takes a shower in the morning and puts on deodorant they might START to smell by the late afternoon but wouldn't likely stink to high heaven. The only time you'll stink to high heaven is when you do NOT shower in the morning and refuse to wear deodorant.

Last edited:
After high school I worked for tire kingdom. I can attest to how hot and smelly you get by the end of a hot Florida day. With the little pay they receive Im sure most techs can care less how they smell.

Another poster mentioned the jerry seinfeld episode, the only reason I read this post. "The Smelly Car".

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
After high school I worked for tire kingdom. I can attest to how hot and smelly you get by the end of a hot Florida day. With the little pay they receive Im sure most techs can care less how they smell.

Another poster mentioned the jerry seinfeld episode, the only reason I read this post. "The Smelly Car".

If you are inside customer cars it's part of the job to not leave your stink behind, if it was my shop I'd tell the guy to go home take a shower and put DO on, if he refused to do so
he's fired.
36.gif

Originally Posted by AC1DD
If you can't get rid of the odor you need to go back and voice your concern, you're not the only car he's placed his stink in.
Unacceptable and needs to be addressed.

They get paid basically minimum wage and there is no shower at most shops I have worked at. I'm sure he'd be happy to go home to shower while still being paid lol. The manager isn't going to do that though, he's going to work on the next persons vehicle who probably doesn't have as sensitive of a nose or is willing to drive a couple miles with the window down.
Glad the op didn't call it unacceptable.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by 1978elcamino

If you are inside customer cars it's part of the job to not leave your stink behind, if it was my shop I'd tell the guy to go home take a shower and put DO on, if he refused to do so
he's fired.
36.gif

So you think all the shops are willing to install showers and have mandatory shower break at lunch? Lol. Right. Fire him for smelling of sweat...sounds like wrongful dismissal to me.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
So you think all the shops are willing to install showers and have mandatory shower break at lunch? Lol. Right. Fire him for smelling of sweat...sounds like wrongful dismissal to me.

Smelling of sweat and having BO so bad it lingers in a car days after you drove it into and out of a shop are two different things. When I do a 100hr service in a desert hangar and then hit the gym for an hour, I smell of sweat, NOT lingering, retching BO.

Either some of y'all stink, or you need a reality check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back