Extension cords.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by wallyuwl
Menards or Fleet Farm. Both places have the Southwire brand, made in USA. I would bet they will be half off at one or both places for July 4 sale.

None near me
frown.gif
. I was just at tractor supply and their extension cords are 24k gold.

Check on their web sites.

Originally Posted by P10crew
Flexilla is my favorite. Cords air hoses and garden hoses. Good stuff.

Orscheln Farms currently has those on sale.

They're so flexible in fact I was worried about their durability? I like the neon colors though. It'd be hard to get it confused for someone else's that's for sure.

Have several brands and can't say I notice much difference - some are HDX ? from Home Depot. Most of mine are 12's in 15', 25', 50', and 100' …
(I like to use no more than I need and oversize beats undersize for safety and making the end user last longer) ...
Have a couple 100' 14's for light stuff … and one 25' 10 for using a 12" chop saw remote … or running a pump etc ...

Originally Posted by PimTac
Just low currant things. The power company was working in our area yesterday and the power was off all day.I wanted to plug in my refrigerator amd Microwave (3 wire plugs) into my generator but couldn't.

Those might be low current but they are high amperage. I would go with a heavy duty wire on that.

Amperage is a measure of current, so they are the same.

As a young kid my dad showed me how to cut that 3rd prong off of the offending tool,how to put a penny under a fuse and how to wrap a fuse with foil.

As an electrical engineer who also does residential electrical work as a hobby, this made my eye twitch.

I like Yellow Jacket cords. I have one 50 foot 12 gauge and two 25 foot 14 gauge
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=yellow+jacket+extension+cord+12+gauge&i=tools&crid=1P12E4228BCD7&sprefix=yellow+j%2Ctools%2C166&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_8

Last edited:
Funny story about heavy-duty extension cords..... Years ago at our old house, a neighbor of ours got in a down spell in life and among other things, his electric got shut off. After dark, he'd take a long, heavy-duty extension cord to run a few things in his house and connect it to a few of us neighbor's who had outside electric outlets. When I caught him doing it to ours, I unplugged it, rolled it up, and waited for him to say something (and ask for the cord back). He never did and I still have it to this day. Now, I didn't dislike the guy and he was using the electric for his phone charger (he had a small contracting business), alarm clock, etc and if he had asked, I would have probably let him. If he plugged too much in and it tripped the breaker, well, he's SOL. I didn't want him hooking up a window AC and stuff by any means !

Originally Posted by hatt
I have a few if these and have been happy.

Southwire 02548-USA1 50-Foot Contractor Grade 12/3 with Lighted End American Made Extension Cord https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RH33RE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_4iydDbGADW6NE

+1

One can overkill and go with a long, lower gauge cord... but it's a hassle sometimes. It's good to have a few of different lengths.

The ends may be shot but it's unlikely that the copper in OP's cords are bad. Replacement ends can be bought. Insulation is a consideration though.

Most tools and other sources have a chart to help understand what the cord should be.

Example:

[Linked Image]

https://diy.stackexchange.com/quest...cord-should-i-use-for-multiple-computers

I'd aim for 3% or less drop for any loss that might have circuit boards in them (including most recent appliances).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back