New Honda GCV engines coming

The new line of Honda OPE engines should soon be appearing. They include the GCV145, GCV170, and GCV200. Apparently they'll replace the GCV160 and GCV190. I guess they are for lawnmowers and power washers.

I haven't been super impressed with the GC series of Honda engines.

They just aren't designed and built as well as the GX series.

Not as reliable, either.

If find the GX series is a totally different price point than the normal lawn mowers with GCV's one would buy at say, Home Depot. I've run a GCV 160 for over 10 years. No problems. I did hear they are a bit light for use as a power washer. The GX is better for that.
smile.gif

skyactiv said:
The GCV200 has been out for awhile and there is nothing but praise for the engine. If I'm right, it has 9.36 ft lbs of torque.

Here is a list of the torque ratings:

GCV 145 6.7 ft lbs.
GCV 170 8.2 ft lbs.
GCV 200 9.3 ft lbs.

Once source said the torque on the GCV 160 was 8.4 ft lbs, but at an extra 100 rpm, 2500 rpm vs 2400 rpm.

I'm liking it. I would imagine they will flood the generic lawn mower market with the GCV 145, and the others will be up market.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Starting my third season with the GCV 160. Compared to my old (1995) Tecumseh, I find the GCV needs full throttle to not bog down. Unless the grass was really tall, I didn't have to run the Tecumseh at full throttle. The rest of the Honda mower is a huge improvement over the old mower though.

Originally Posted by Linctex

Not as reliable, either.

+1 This

Originally Posted by user52165

Not as reliable, either.

+1 This

That's because the GX models are commercial engines. If you like buying commercial equipment for home use, have at it.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by carviewsonic
Starting my third season with the GCV 160. Compared to my old (1995) Tecumseh, I find the GCV needs full throttle to not bog down. Unless the grass was really tall, I didn't have to run the Tecumseh at full throttle. The rest of the Honda mower is a huge improvement over the old mower though.

Small engines are designed to run at full throttle. When mowing that's where the throttle should be.

Originally Posted by hatt
Originally Posted by carviewsonic

Small engines are designed to run at full throttle. When mowing that's where the throttle should be.

Who still puts a throttle on a lawn mower?

My unimpressive GCV160 has zero issues since I bought the mower in 2002 and it gets used weekly all year. I can't say that about other homeowner grade engines I've used.

Mine has a throttle. I can idle the engine when taking the mower from the front yard to the back, but not really useful otherwise.

Not as reliable, either.

For commercial use they likely won't hold up like a GX.

I bought my HRS216 single speed self propelled mower with a GCV160 back in 1999 and that engine still purrs. I'm pretty sure that was the first model year for the GCVs. All I've done is a few oil changes, one spark plug and a couple of air filters on it. It's got a throttle control and will idle right down to a smooth super low RPM.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Originally Posted by user52165

Not as reliable, either.

+1 This

That's because the GX models are commercial engines. If you like buying commercial equipment for home use, have at it.
smile.gif

Buy once, cry once. I have several 20+ year old commercial small engine powered equipment. Still runs like a top.

$1000/20years isn't a bad deal. Plus you can buy used. I picked up a $2500 retail Honda tiller for $600 from the Home Depot rental department.

Back