Woes of an aging Hyundai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Fifth87
Thanks to all that have replied so far.
After some research Hyundai still sells the subframe. Anything from a yard is likely to be junk. I intend on farming out this job, as this is beyond the scope of my skills having limited time to do it. Even with the cost, still cheaper than a decent used car that she would agree to drive.

How much is a new one?

There are a few rust free used ones on ebay.

I agree with others that if the subframe is rotting through and the car has not been washed on a regular basis the unibody is likely ready for the scrapyard as well.
She better start saving her money.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by Fifth87
The new one is $676.00

Check eBay and LKQ and your local junker. (Pick n pull) Try and find a West coast car...I bet you can do waaay better than the $600+ of a new one. That'll help offset the cost of the install labour. On some cars you can do the subframe in 2-3hrs...but my guess is shop time is gonna be twice that. And do shop around for shop prices.

Last edited:
I'd factor in the price of an alignment also - lower control arms often tie into that piece. We had an 02 accord that had multiple alignment issues until they loosened and shoved the subframe over a hair.

Maybe now she'll see why regular washing and undercarriage cleaning is a necessity when you live up north. But my suspicions are the rest of the frame isn't far behind if the subframe is already this bad...

Our 05 Tucson is at 156,000 miles and doesn't have a spot of rust anywhere (original Florida car) but there are other small things starting to show up that are nickle and diming me lately....

Originally Posted by racin4ds
Maybe now she'll see why regular washing and undercarriage cleaning is a necessity when you live up north.
It's not. Lots of cars here get oil sprayed more often than they are washed.
Originally Posted by edwardh1
they made the metal too thin for rust belt driving
Bingo, Hyundai was a value brand that cheapskates or homesick Koreans bought in 2005.

Assuming this Sonata spent it's life in the rust belt, ~15yrs is a good run for it if this is the only real corrosion damage.

My bosses wife had a ~2008ish Tuscon and it was bought brand new with a lifetime rustproofing/warranty on it through the Hyundai dealer. This winter he found it the unibody was rusted away, not much left, went to Hyundai and they said take it to a body shop and get an estimate. Nobody would repair it because of the extent of the rust.

They ended up trading it on a newer Tuscon despite basically getting screwed on the deal. Hyundai is very lucky to have some very forgiving customer's. They were given $1500 on the trade in at least when it was probably worth about $500 for scrap.

That said I have seen lots of subframes rusted out while the rest of the car was still okay. Neons and cavalier's were known for it.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv

That said I have seen lots of subframes rusted out while the rest of the car was still okay. Neons and cavalier's were known for it.

Oh for sure. It's common to find rear subframes rusted away on 2005ish Subarus in my area as well. It's that magic 15yr point when most vehicles are about shot from corrosion.

We were getting used engine cradles from the wreckers for like 600 our cost, 800 or something customer plus labor. So over a $1000 all in, but sometimes people just wanted their car fixed and went for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back