2018 BMW 330i, any recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am looking at adding a sporty sedan to my garage and came across a CPO 2018 330i BMW at the local dealer for a very reasonable price. I had to pick up my little one from daycare so I was unable to take a testdrive today.
I do not know anything about newer bmw's, last time I sat in one was in the mid 2000s, family member with a 3-series had one in a manual transmission that was incredible to ride in but gave him a lot of grief in the long run regarding reliability.

My question is, I drive approx 12-15K miles per year, I like to do my own basic maintenance (oil changes, brakes, all fluids/filter), and am looking for a car that would give my easily 7+ years of trouble-free service. Is this a reasonable candidate?

Thanks

Those are sweet cars but I'd personally never own one. Only lease and enjoy, then dump it back at the dealer.

Visit the various BMW forums to see what the "soft white underbelly" is with these new Bimmers is.
7+ trouble free years is an oxymoron in the BMW universe. These cars seem to do well in initial ownership experience but can be a real drag going in for the long run. I owned a 2002 330ci for 10 years / 160k miles and at the end, adding up all the receipts, I realized I'd nearly purchased the car all over again. And I did most of the work! The trade in was abysmal, and, well, you're looking at a 1 year old 330i at a very reasonable price; that should denote the tenor.
Recommendation: pass if long term use is in the cards.

Originally Posted by FirstNissan
Hi, I am looking at adding a sporty sedan to my garage and came across a CPO 2018 330i BMW at the local dealer for a very reasonable price. I had to pick up my little one from daycare so I was unable to take a testdrive today.
I do not know anything about newer bmw's, last time I sat in one was in the mid 2000s, family member with a 3-series had one in a manual transmission that was incredible to ride in but gave him a lot of grief in the long run regarding reliability.

My question is, I drive approx 12-15K miles per year, I like to do my own basic maintenance (oil changes, brakes, all fluids/filter), and am looking for a car that would give my easily 7+ years of trouble-free service. Is this a reasonable candidate?

Thanks

Since the mid 2000's models, things at BMW have gotten much more complex. That fancy 330i your considering is a 4 cyl DI+Turbo. A far more complex and maintenance-needy setup as it gets out of warranty.
Years ago that model would have featured a more reliable and simple inline 6. Those days are long gone.

And no, that car is not a reasonable candidate for what you want.
Considering you currently have Toyota models, why not consider a Lexus IS? It's the BMW 3/4 series' main competitor.

Thanks

So far there are no big complaints about B48 engine. Among true BMW enthusiasts BMW f30 model does not have a lot of love due to light steering, and some other compromises. Do not get me wrong, it is much more capable vehicle than 99% of cars out there. I drove 330i for some time and it is seriously quick.
You can do all basic maintenance on that car, but be aware, Euro cars require specific fluids etc. and all is available on forums and youtube how to do it, but if you never owned BMW, do some reading. Fluids are similar price as for any car, but you need specific oils for example, not any synthetic that goes into your SIenna.
As for B48, check coolant level. There were on few 2016 models (first year of B48) complaints about coolant levels and it seems that no one has an answer why it was loosing coolant.
It seems that f30 model is much more reliable than E90 model, but these are seriously complex cars, and expect CEL out of nowhere and than just to never shows up again.
However, if reliability for you is much more important than performance, probably Lexus IS350 is better option.

Friend of mine had an early 2000s 3 series. It was flawless for hundreds of thousands of miles. Tires and oil.
Another friend had an 03 m3. Total POS.

Bmw is a roll of the dice. Do you feel lucky?

am looking for a car that would give my easily 7+ years of trouble-free service. Is this a reasonable candidate?
Why would you even consider a used BMW? Stick to your Toyotas, buddy.

You might want to start with something a little less complex like a GTI/GLI. I see a lot more one and done euro car experiences with BMW than VWs. At least with a VW you aren't paying a luxury premium on top of the euro premium.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
am looking for a car that would give my easily 7+ years of trouble-free service. Is this a reasonable candidate?
Why would you even consider a used BMW? Stick to your Toyotas, buddy.

You might want to start with something a little less complex like a GTI/GLI. I see a lot more one and done euro car experiences with BMW than VWs. At least with a VW you aren't paying a luxury premium on top of the euro premium.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but there is much more to BMW compared to VW than just "luxury" part.
Problem with BMW is that it is status symbol and there is that certain aura to it. A lot of people get drawn to it thinking it is just another Honda Civic they had, just more expensive. That is how they get in trouble. Those who know those cars have different experience. I cannot tell you how many people I know asked me should they buy BMW since "time came to upgrade" but they do not know what is V6 and what is inline six. I just tell them: stick to Lexus if you want "upgrade."
One of my in-laws wanted "upgrade" was thinking about AUdi, BMW etc. My father in-law gives him 2004 Honda Pilot as present. Some 80k, really good car. He takes it as kid arrived etc. Engine dies two years later. I asked his wife what happened, and she said: he forgot to change oil. He never changed oil since he had it. But, he wanted BMW.

By all means test drive it, you may like it. CPO would have some warranty and perhaps an option to buy down an extended warranty which I'd recommend, go for it!

Ask the service department to see the warranty service history before purchase.

If it's clean I wouldn't think twice about any reliability concerns.

Thanks

Not really. Don't get me wrong, I really like most of the 2 and 3 series BMW's. I do most all of my own work, and rely mostly on the aftermarket for parts. Think Turner/ECS, FPC Euro, Bimmerworld, and I even use Rockauto. Prepare to spend time, money, and effort to keep it in shape and running well. My test drive in an F30 told me that it was not as buttoned down, steering wise, as my E90. (I have suspension mods in the E90.) The f30, if priced right, could be a good car for the enthusiast driver. Please do not take this a preaching, but I have to say to you, seeing Toyota's in your background, and a child in daycare, you may be better served by a Camry SE. Or if you want sporty, try something like leasing a VW, GTI.

FirstNissan, if, as you said, you are ". . . looking for a car that would give [me] easily 7+ years of trouble-free service," IMHO you would be making a grave mistake if you ignore reams of owner surveys that clearly indicate which brands of automobiles are most reliable and which are most unreliable. More to the point, buying an automobile, any automobile, based in part upon the advice of a handful of online posters would be madness on stilts.

Originally Posted by Hounds
FirstNissan, if, as you said, you are ". . . looking for a car that would give [me] easily 7+ years of trouble-free service," IMHO you would be making a grave mistake if you ignore reams of owner surveys that clearly indicate which brands of automobiles are most reliable and which are most unreliable. More to the point, buying an automobile, any automobile, based in part upon the advice of a handful of online posters would be madness on stilts.

haha, great line. And entirely true.

Imagining that this or any other open board on the Net somehow represents the best info is indeed whacko. There is a great deal of reliably researched statistical evidence out there, but most folks never look at it.

Then there's people like myself, who buy what they like and are willing to take the "risk". Get the car you want if you can afford the habit...

I haven't hear any complaints about the B-series 4 cylinder and some of them should be getting up in miles. My only concern about these engines is the fact that the timing chain is mounted at the rear of the engine and that would almost be a non-starter for me with regards to long term ownership.

This 2018 being one of the last F-series cars I would think it's going to be fairly reliable as the F-series platform has been reliable in general. The interior may not be a luxurious but it seems to be more durable than models past. I have over 50k on my F32(N55). It's over 4 yrs old and has not needed any repairs. Maintenance is easy as pie. I'm even still on the original brakes!

As for working on the vehicle, I think it's safe to say that everyone else has caught up to BMW with regards to complexity. Diagnostic software can be downloaded (visit F32Post.com) or you can buy a mid-level scan tool and you can buy parts online for a fraction of what you'd pay at the dealer..

Now as for THIS particular car. Being that it's less than 2 yrs old so I would want to know if it was is a loaner/demo? I would definitely want to review the maintenance history.

Last edited:
I'm like an addict right now for a BMW X5 50i 2020. Lease won't work for me so the price tag (90k) is just sickening but the lust is there. The term underbelly was used and he was right. BMW has had sooo many issues but the I6 turbo engine seems to be a solid one. It is impossible (or just dumb) to own without a big expensive extended warranty.

As also advised, look to Lexus. I will probably wise up and end up in a Lexus 350 F SPort and it's a beautiful car but NOT the driving experience of the X5 501. Difference is 30k less and RELIABLE!

Buy it and enjoy ut. The 330i has a new 4 cyl turbo that is much more reliable and better then previous one. I have the motor in my mini and love it. Maintaining it is very easy and no different then a toyota.
Dont listen to naysayers who have not owed one before. I have three bmw products in my driveway and they have been flawless. If you want a toaster buy something else if not then go for it and enjoy.

Thanks

I'd think you would be fine; that said, you should probably disregard my advice as I have actually owned 12 BMWs over the past 36 years. It's far better to heed the advice of people who haven't sat in a BMW but can parrot reams of fifth-hand internet hearsay.

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8

Then there's people like myself, who buy what they like and are willing to take the "risk". Get the car you want if you can afford the habit...

Sorry, but you are 100% wrong; the only smart thing to do is to pay cash for a deadly dull soul-slaughtering anodyne appliance and drive it for at least 300,000 miles.

Originally Posted by MCompact
Originally Posted by SteveSRT8

Sorry, but you are 100% wrong; the only smart thing to do is to pay cash for a deadly dull soul-slaughtering anodyne appliance and drive it for at least 300,000 miles.

I concur.

All vehicles made today are easily as reliable as a Toyota, regardless of it's complexity and materials being used.
Anyone who says otherwise is clearly a bold-faced liar.
coffee2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back