2009 Corolla Coil On Plug Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend asked me to help replace 1 coil-on-plug for her 2009 Corolla LE 1.8L engine.
I have not seen the car; I believe it is 1 but I do not know. I imagine the car has over 100K miles; dunno for sure.
I don't know how to test, other than check for RPM drop when disconnecting harness.

Question: Denso runs $75 a pop. Off brands are like $20 each.
Is there a recommendation for a decent inexpensive replacement coil or should I just buy the Denso OE?
I generally buy from Amazon Prime...

Thanks for your guidance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by clinebarger
OE Denso.....What's $75 in the whole scheme of things?

I may well be wrong but it is $75 a coil.... My hooked on math tells me that is $300
lol.gif
... For all 4 in that Toyota. Vs only $80 for the hoopty Doo aftermarket ones.

I lean towards what the guys are saying here... Go with OEM... Unless you can get the hoopty Doo ones and if they are junk in a short period of time and you could get the money back for that purchase. Then obviously use that towards the OEM coil on plugs.

Last edited:
The only aftermarket brand I used in other Toyotas was Flamma, made in Japan. I do not know exact part number for your vehicle though. It may be Yec IGC102A.

You can hardly go wrong with Denso. I would definitely figure out the correct part numbers for the coil boots and replace them pro-actively. They may look intact until you squeeze and twist them lightly.

If your friend is keeping the car, buy the DENSO!
Yeah, even on RockAuto the Denso is $75ish after shipping(to my ZIP) or ~ $72ish after code #.
Unless Beck/Arnley is repackaged OE(?) then you may be able to get the COP for ~$53ish.

Make sure that the coil is indeed the issue before buying one and get the best product. Toyota's can be a bit picky about ignition parts. Because you don't want to mess with the ignition system by using inferior parts. It could end up costing you twice...And believe me, there are tons of inferior parts out there.

Last edited:
Make sure you actually need a coil. If it is a high mileage 2ZR-FE and the misfire is on cyl 1 or 2, do some additional digging. Your misfire may be due to other reasons....such as a head gasket leak. But hopefully not.

Last edited:
My Father was a man of many words...…..none spoke louder than the ones he said that I remember today..."Buy Cheap, Buy Twice!" .
Go with the Denso's.

Swap the coil and plug to another cylinder and see if the misfire moves. If it does, then you know it was either the plug or coil. If it doesn't move then you got more troubleshooting to do..use or borrow an OBD2 reader if you don't have one, to see what's going on with the suspect cylinder in real time. Be sure to pull the plug and look for fouling/moisture. Your coil could be good but your plug bad or even worse.

If the bad coil is hard to get to like under a plenum, replace with the OE. If the bad coil is easy to get to (staring at you) and cost is a factor, buy a Duralast from AutoZone. But replacing it with the OE is always the preferred choice when it comes to coils. It's worth mentioning that you normally would replace coil and plugs in sets; cyl 1 &:3, 2 & 4.

Last edited:
Mad_Hatter said, " It's worth mentioning that you normally would replace coil and plugs in sets; cyl 1 &:3, 2 & 4."

If the coils are separate units, why?

I lean towards OE as a failed one during a highway run could kill a cat.

Yes on the swap test and yes on the compression check for HG probs.

Originally Posted by Kira
Mad_Hatter said, " It's worth mentioning that you normally would replace coil and plugs in sets; cyl 1 &:3, 2 & 4."

If the coils are separate units, why
?

I lean towards OE as a failed one during a highway run could kill a cat.

Yes on the swap test and yes on the compression check for HG probs.

I should have more accurately stated "I would normally replace coils and plugs in pairs/sets if they're hard to get to...."

My reasoning...Coils and plugs(-gap width) on same bank typically wear at the same rate. So if the coil on cyl 1 is bad, it's very possible the coil on cyl 3 is not far behind. This assumes there's no other mechanical failure for the cause of coil death. If you're going to go through the trouble of take things apart to get to coil 3.. why not just replace coil 1 while you're there and keep that replaced coil in the event you need to replace one on cyls 2 or 4. (-or in my case 2,4,6)

But that's just me..feel free to disagree.

Last edited:
If your friend will be keeping the car for some time, I'd go with OE. If they only want it for another year or so I don't see the harm in saving a few bucks going aftermarket.

I've got the same car, and I use the Denso/Aisin parts for all my repairs because I'm in it for the long haul. If i were planning on selling it soon I would be getting cheaper parts, it's a high mileage car anyways.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

My reasoning...Coils and plugs(-gap width) on same bank typically wear at the same rate. So if the coil on cyl 1 is bad, it's very possible the coil on cyl 3 is not far behind. This assumes there's no other mechanical failure for the cause of coil death. If you're going to go through the trouble of take things apart to get to coil 3.. why not just replace coil 1 while you're there and keep that replaced coil in the event you need to replace one on cyls 2 or 4. (-or in my case 2,4,6)

But that's just me..feel free to disagree.

Uhhhhh... by this reasoning you'd always be replacing all 4 coils on every 4-cyl except a boxer! They are all "same bank" on an inline engine
confused2.gif

Swap the coil and plug to another cylinder and see if the misfire moves. If it does, then you know it was either the plug or coil. If it doesn't move then you got more troubleshooting to do..use or borrow an OBD2 reader if you don't have one, to see what's going on with the suspect cylinder in real time. Be sure to pull the plug and look for fouling/moisture. Your coil could be good but your plug bad or even worse.

If the bad coil is hard to get to like under a plenum, replace with the OE. If the bad coil is easy to get to (staring at you) and cost is a factor, buy a Duralast from AutoZone. But replacing it with the OE is always the preferred choice when it comes to coils. It's worth mentioning that you normally would replace coil and plugs in sets; cyl 1 &:3, 2 & 4.

This

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Uhhhhh... by this reasoning you'd always be replacing all 4 coils on every 4-cyl except a boxer! They are all "same bank" on an inline engine
confused2.gif

I clarified my initial comment because I forgot he had a 4 banger. My reasons for considering replacing coil/plugs in sets, relates more to engines like my transverse 6 where it's a pain in the butt to service bank 1 cyls. However even in a 4 banger i would still inspect all coil/plugs to make sure the gaps on the plugs are good or not fouled up to make the coils work harder to develop sufficient spark. On a 10yr old car with the factory coils, the remaining coils could last several more years or go tomorrow.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PandaBear

This

I wouldn't change a coil just for laughs unless the vehicle was a known for having coil issues, I don't believe this one is but to each their own. Not my place to tell people how to spend their money.

Could it possibly be a dirty injector? How many miles has it been since a treatment of PEA ( I like Chevron or Gumout) ?

Just a thought you might try first. FWIW

Oldtommy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back