AR-style rifle -- suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a Ruger AR-556 Optic at Rural King for $499. Could have probably saved a few bucks buying online, but it's hassle-free buying from them at the local store which is worth it to me. Had great fun with it today shooting targets on the property, the thing is dead accurate right out of the box, I wasn't shooting at great distances but I'm impressed so far.

Learn how the gun works...BUILD one (this will knock a good bit off the price tag, as the tax on a complete firearm is avoided). You will need at least, a vice, a Midwest Industries assembly tool ($60?), a multi-tool wrench (Brownells should sell one, $20?), a torque wrench (You should have one in your life, anyways), a few punches, a small hammer, and some competence with hand tools and a bit of researching ability. I or others on here can provide you with more detailed data, including torque values, etc.

If you don't want to do that, my choices would be:

-Colt 6920 Magpul edition
-Daniel Defense
-Hodge Defense/KAC

in ascending order of price/quality/performance.

Here is one that my girlfriend built that I walked her through the building of.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I lucked into a slightly used, but highly upgraded Armalite M15 at the LGS. $499.
Upgrades include:

Magpul furniture
Daniel Defense rear sight
Rainier Arms BCG
BCM charging handle

Another vote for Colt.

My first AR was a Lewis Machine and Tool- at the time I lived in California and it was the closest thing to mil spec that could be had in the state. It's a sweet shooting rifle and is solid, but above what you're looking to spend.

I also have a few different ones built using PSA parts, a mid length 16" and a 10.5 pistol. Both a lot of fun. Zero malfunctions with either. Pretty amazing that these days you can get great performance even with inexpensive gear.

I did build an 18" rifle gas system gun with a carry handle upper and fixed stock. Has the clean, classic lines and is fun, but the flat top upper on 99% of the guns you'd buy today is much more flexible.

Then there's my Colt. It's a utilitarian and no nonsense expression of what an AR is. As was mentioned, just because it's made by the same company that supplies the military means when the next scare/ban happens it will be at the top of the "sought after" list. It's everything you need, and nothing you don't to get started with your first AR. The bulk of sales appear to be the 16 inch barrel, although I've seen 14.5 inch barrels with a pinned muzzle device for sale sometimes (the pinned muzzle device results in a 16 inch+ barrel length since that's the necessary length for it to be a rifle and not an SBR). If the same price I'd go pinned 14.5, but it's personal preference. Otherwise, Colt offers them in 20 inch configuration if you're interested in that.

The Colt "Expanse" comes in at a little lower price point and gives up a few features, most notably the chrome lining in the bore. If I were you I'd wait for a sale on a Colt 6920.

I have a 50 Beowulf. It's an AR pattern rifle. I assembled it from a Spikes AR lower and an Alexander Arms carbon hand guard upper. Has a spring loaded recoil absorbing stock.

It's the most fun of all my toys. Worth every penny. Since ya can't fire more than about 30 rounds, range days are not terribly expensive.

Also, it's stupidly light. So much fun!!

Oh, and the brass spitzer rounds blaze right through everything! Including 10 inch trees and railroad ties.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cujet
I have a 50 Beowulf. It's an AR pattern rifle. I assembled it from a Spikes AR lower and an Alexander Arms carbon hand guard upper. Has a spring loaded recoil absorbing stock.

It's the most fun of all my toys. Worth every penny. Since ya can't fire more than about 30 rounds, range days are not terribly expensive.

Also, it's stupidly light. So much fun!!

Oh, and the brass spitzer rounds blaze right through everything! Including 10 inch trees and railroad ties.

Interesting note about that round. Starline is going to start using 12.7x42mm as the headstamp instead of 50 Beowulf. Alexander really goes out of their way to make sure to limit the popularity of their designs. The 6.5 Grendel was proprietary for years which really hurt that excellent round.

Originally Posted by hatt

Interesting note about that round. Starline is going to start using 12.7x42mm as the headstamp instead of 50 Beowulf. Alexander really goes out of their way to make sure to limit the popularity of their designs. The 6.5 Grendel was proprietary for years which really hurt that excellent round.

I wonder if Underwood is going to call their version of the ammo 12.7x42mm? 50 beo ammo is commonly available, so there is that.

In any case, the 50 caliber upper fits right on the AR15 lower, making the AR one of the most versatile guns around. I don't say it's the best, only that it's the most fun. Packs a wallop, is accurate, feels like you are actually shooting something with some meat behind it. I will say this, it's the gun I grab when something happens, as hiding behind the wall or the car door is no protection at all.

Originally Posted by Cujet

I wonder if Underwood is going to call their version of the ammo 12.7x42mm? 50 beo ammo is commonly available, so there is that.

In any case, the 50 caliber upper fits right on the AR15 lower, making the AR one of the most versatile guns around. I don't say it's the best, only that it's the most fun. Packs a wallop, is accurate, feels like you are actually shooting something with some meat behind it. I will say this, it's the gun I grab when something happens, as hiding behind the wall or the car door is no protection at all.

Looking at AA's website I'm guessing Underwood isn't paying royalties and will be changing.

".50 Beowulf® | The only genuine .50 Beowulf® ammunition, produced exclusively by Alexander Arms®."

I only have one AR15 and it's the Colt LE 6920. It wasn't cheap but it was one of the most recommended at the time. I don't regret buying it or paying the price.

Originally Posted by wtd
I only have one AR15 and it's the Colt LE 6920. It wasn't cheap but it was one of the most recommended at the time. I don't regret buying it or paying the price.

That's an excellent gun. I still want to pick up one one of these days. I grew up around Colt revolvers so I have a soft spot for that pony.

I would buy a Colt if concerned about the best resale price down the road and a Palmetto Armory with their premium parts for the best AR for the least dollars spent. Ruger really takes care of its customers above and beyond what would be called generous. I have a 22/45 pistol that is 20 years old and has a round count of at least 50,000 rounds well used and abused and did a disassemble and inspect and found some worn parts and ordered them . The rep said the parts were covered under warranty. What is not to love about Ruger quality and warranty.

Originally Posted by CT8
I would buy a Colt if concerned about the best resale price down the road and a Palmetto Armory with their premium parts for the best AR for the least dollars spent. Ruger really takes care of its customers above and beyond what would be called generous. I have a 22/45 pistol that is 20 years old and has a round count of at least 50,000 rounds well used and abused and did a disassemble and inspect and found some worn parts and ordered them . The rep said the parts were covered under warranty. What is not to love about Ruger quality and warranty.

How is Colts quality today? I heard/read rumors that ever since they went bankrupt and lost the government contract to FN, their quality has gone downhill.
I have owned A LOT of Ruger firearms in the past. They build a great firearm and have an excellent reputation with warranty work, even though they don't advertise a written warranty. My Ruger AR-556 (8500 Model) has performed great with no problems at all.
S&W is like Ruger in quality and warranty. They do advertise a written warranty and stand behind it 101%.

I haven't heard of Colt's AR quality going down. They do have a Colt branded line that isn't really Colt so I'd avoid that. People have always dogged Colt because the fit and finish wasn't back of the safe quality but ARs are tools.

I haven't heard of Colt's AR quality going down. They do have a Colt branded line that isn't really Colt so I'd avoid that. People have always dogged Colt because the fit and finish wasn't back of the safe quality but ARs are tools.

To the people in the world that use the AR as a tool (police, SWAT, DEA, ATF, etc.) me and my AR's don't fall into that category. Yeah, when I was in the ARMY, my M16/A1-A2 was my lifeline. And, I would consider it my tool, then. But today, I collect AR's as a hobby. If I ever have to defend myself in a war like scenario, then I will use my AR's as tools to defend myself.
To each his own.
coffee2.gif

Good shooting. It also had nothing to do with the brand.

True that. Have shot with a few USMC veterans. From just out after a single hitch to 77 years old, every Marine I've shot with can send it with great efficiency. No large group trains riflemen better than the USMC.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MGF1964
Good shooting. It also had nothing to do with the brand.

True that. Have shot with a few USMC veterans. From just out after a single hitch to 77 years old, every Marine I've shot with can send it with great efficiency. No large group trains riflemen better than the USMC.

Funny how that never leaves you. As I was reading the above post the term "Snapping In" came back to me after many years. Many an hour around that 50 gallon drum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back