Best solution for crack in vinyl seat

Status
Not open for further replies.
The driver's side front seat in my highlander has started to crack (you can see a large crack in the pic, as well as a smaller one to the right of the larger one). I am using Meguiars natural shine protectant to clean the vinyl on the seat, and help it over the long run (when the bottle runs out, I'll probably upgrade to their ultimate). But what can I do with the cracks themselves? Is there a glue that I can apply to keep the sides together? Or is there some other material that will keep the crack from getting any bigger?

Seat.jpg

Last edited:
I'd drop the vinyl protectants and use a dedicated leather cleaner and conditioner. As to the tear,Walmart sells 3M leather repair kits for about six bucks.

The problem with gluing it is that the stress is just going to concentrate somewhere else and probably make that area crack as well. Best solution is to just replace it and be done with it if its that important to you. Either that or cover it up.

There are companies that will sell you just that cover, or you can buy the factory one (Usually big $$$$).

I use a company out of Massachusetts: http://autocustomleathers.com/ He can do just about any replacement cover you'd need. That's actually my Acura on his front page. He does excellent work.

Last edited:
Same boat with my OutBack. It's not a quality leather for one and the use of what you used vs a legit leather cleaner or conditioner wouldn't have made a difference. I am waiting for a friend who has a hook who does these type of repairs. I will post back if I go that route.

The F150 in my sig is destined to be that 19 year old pick up. I went with custom made seat covers from Marathon and they have been solid for 5 years in September. Highly recommed them.

Its my understanding that the seats are leather trim (that wording came from Toyota itself), which probably means that the crack is not in the leather part of the seat, but in the vinyl. That's why I didn't use a leather protectant.

Its honestly not worth it for me to buy a new cover. I'll give 3Ms leather and vinyl repair kit a chance. Thanks for the recommendation.

If you just want to repair it and appearance is not your concern, clean the area well with alcohol and carefully glue it with Supr Glue gel. I repaired a tear that formed on the seam of our Saabs driver seat. It's two years old and still holding the leather just fine.

Paulri -

I have the exact same "crack" in the exact same location on our 2005 Highlander!

I've tried those vinyl repair kits that are sold at auto parts stores. 3M makes one that's about $10. They come with a number of colors and a tiny electric iron or a stick with a metal plate on the end, that you heat, to cure the vinyl patch.

I repaired a hole in a motorcycle seat with fair results. It did not look perfect and was not all that smooth. But it held up for years. Tried it on my car and it failed miserably. The cracked vinyl just cracked again and looked awful. A piece of tape would be better.....

In any case, I've discovered that auto upholstery shops will perform superb repairs for minimal cost.

The problem with vinyl protectants is that they're not designed to be used on the stitching (and can damage it) whereas a dedicated leather conditioner and cleaner is.

I've had miserable luck with most leather repair kits on the vinyl in that spot. At some point, I will probably go to an upholstery shop and have the vinyl replaced with similar vinyl or leather. In Florida, that stuff doesn't hold up very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back