Predator 3500 Watt Inverter Generator

Just curious to know if anyone in the BITOG community owns the Harbor Freight Predator 3500 Watt Inverter Generator, and what they think of it. Presently I run a Champion 3500 Watt generator for essential backup. It is reasonably efficient, but a little loud. This Predator machine looks to be both quieter and a little more efficient. One thing I notice from the photos is that the wheels are rather small. Have any of you managed to replace them with something larger that might easily roll across a lawn?

The waffle truck that sets up near work uses a pair of these and the guy says he is happy with them. Showed where he had to drill holes in the removable cover to improve airflow, it was running rough at prolonged high load. They're about as quiet as my Honda EU3000is from what I can tell.

The poor warranty, lack of spare parts, and resale value is a deal breaker. Much better off with a Champion 3100/3400 inverter type with a 3 year vs 3 month warranty for about the same $$$. I have a 3100 with remote electric start and love it. Quieter than a friends similar Honda unit which doesn't have remote start and 1/3 the price.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by crainholio
The waffle truck that sets up near work uses a pair of these and the guy says he is happy with them. Showed where he had to drill holes in the removable cover to improve airflow, it was running rough at prolonged high load. They're about as quiet as my Honda EU3000is from what I can tell.

Basically its rebadged Loncin 3500io....I worked at one retailer wich is selling them (Loncin engines) and he didnt have to say anything bad about them....

I have both 2 each Champion 2000 watt inverter generators (the ones that can stack on top of each other at the 4 corners) 73536i - I think I paid $399 each. I bought them in 2012 or 2013, and have right around 2000 hours on each one. (close guess). Each has seen 8-10 hours a day for several weeks at a time and never failed. Oil consumption is "not bad" - I think I add oil about every 25-30 hours or so.
Surge capacity stinks in "eco" mode. They just do NOT throttle up fast at all, and the "overload" trips way, way, way too easily. I always thought they were pretty good for what they are.... but, "they ain't NO Honda!!!"

I hate having to leave them at "full speed" but sometimes I have no choice - because they just won't "come up out of ECO mode" very easily.

I have one Honda eu2000i... I had two, but one got stolen.

I also have 2 each Predator 2000 inverters. They are currently running 8-10 hours a day, 5-6 days a week. Oil consumption is nil. They start easily and parallel together easily. They also will parallel easily with any other inverter generator that I have tried (Champion, Sportsman, Black Max, Honda and other Predators).
These are as close to a Honda as you can get. Noise level is *almost* as good, fuel consumption is maybe a little better, and "surge capacity" is excellent. I think I paid $439 each with a coupon back in February. Each one already has over 1000 hours on them. Oil gets changed about every 2-3 weeks (depends on weather) and about 150 hours. They can be a little cold-blooded for the first ten minutes.
BUT - when warmed up and running, they "come up out of ECO mode" very easily when a big load hits - they will even run some pretty big A/C units (it might take a second or two of struggling before they get there, but they don't "overload" at the drop of a hat, either)

There are some other very good Chinese inverter generators (the white Pulsar ones come to mind) and Costco has a "Yamaha powered" generic one for about $489 (?) or so.

A lot of this is anecdotal, but take it for what it is worth.

Originally Posted by user52165
The poor warranty, lack of spare parts, and resale value is a deal breaker. Much better off with a Champion 3100/3400 inverter type with a 3 year vs 3 month warranty for about the same $$$. I have a 3100 with remote electric start and love it. Quieter than a friends similar Honda unit which doesn't have remote start and 1/3 the price.

Many of the reviews on Amazon do not support your comments: https://www.amazon.com/product-revi...lterByStar=one_star&showViewpoints=0

There is a food truck outside of work everyday and they run one, it isn't as quite as my Yamaha 3000ISEB but it isn't annoyingly loud either. It must have a ton of hours on it as they run it at least a couple hours a day.

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
Basically its rebadged Loncin 3500io....I worked at one retailer wich is selling them (Loncin engines) and he didnt have to say anything bad about them....
Other manufacturers also use Loncin engines. Some big names include... Generac, Toro, Electrolux, and even BMW. Most of their engines are Honda copies/clones, to such an extent that many Honda engine parts can be used in/on them.
Personally, I would purchase a Champion generator instead.

Originally Posted by Blueskies123
Originally Posted by user52165

Many of the reviews on Amazon do not support your comments: https://www.amazon.com/product-revi...lterByStar=one_star&showViewpoints=0

Not sure what you mean but you did not link the correct model.

"I have a 3100 with remote electric start"

It's this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-3100-Watt-Portable-Inverter-Generator/dp/B00JZQUSAC/ref=sr_1_3?

I bought it on Overstock 2 years ago with a 20% off deal (common) for $780 delivered no tax.

Flawless since.

Last edited:
I own 3 of the Champion Chonda fired gens - in five years I changed one carb and one pull starter - and both were cheap. I ordered an extra of both ...

They like fresh fuel - other than that change oil each spring and they run good ...

I have the Predator 3500 inverter for my camper. Best generator for the money for sure. Much quieter than all the champion ones I have seen/heard. With the coupon they are around $700

Here's a pic of the taco truck which also uses a pair of Predators.

Predators.jpg

It seems as if we have some strong opinions but no direct owners of this unit. The reviews on the Harbor Freight website are overwhelmingly positive: 1271 at 5 stars vs 41 at 1 star. Surely someone on BITOG must own one of these...

Some of the 1 star reviews were clearly written by people who had no clue of how to break in and field test a piece of equipment. When I got my 3500 watt Champion the first thing I did was to run it under load for five hours and then change the oil. I still fire it up for a few minutes at least once a month, and run it under load every few months. The comment on the 90 day warranty was certainly valuable, bit it seems to me that one could easily determine whether or not they got a lemon in far less than 90 days.

I am going to be in the market for this class generator for my travel trailer.
I have decided to go with the Champion 3400 inverter.
Here are my reasons.
1: I own 2 other Champion generators and been happy with them, and with Champion customer service and part availability, also low part cost.
2: Champion 3 year warranty vs Harbor Freight 90 day warranty.
3: I like the folding handle and decent size wheels on the Champion.

Both the Champion and Predator seem to be holding up well.
The Champion has been around a bit longer, and has gotten rave reviews on the rv forums and some long term testing by some of the rv guys shows the Champion will last a long time.
The Predators seem to be holding up well so far, I only know of 1 first hand, a former co worker of mine and her husband ran a food truck last summer with one. It ran well for them all summer and was quiet.

Originally Posted by cronk

Have a look at the sound ratings. My existing 3500 watt running / 4000 watt starting open frame Champion is rated at 68 dB. The Champion 3400 Watt inverter is rated at 64dB. The Predator 3500 is rated at 57dB. That's a pretty substantial difference. My goals are less noise and better fuel economy.

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy

Have a look at the sound ratings. My existing 3500 watt running / 4000 watt starting open frame Champion is rated at 68 dB. The Champion 3400 Watt inverter is rated at 64dB. The Predator 3500 is rated at 57dB. That's a pretty substantial difference. My goals are less noise and better fuel economy.

That is incorrect, the large 3100/3400 inverters are 58 or 59 decibel depending on the exact model. That is straight from Champions website.

Champion does make a "digital hybrid" generator that is an inverter generator but open frame that costs less but is louder due to the open frame, maybe that's what you are thinking of.

Last edited:
Champion does make a "digital hybrid" generator that is an inverter generator but open frame that costs less but is louder due to the open frame, maybe that's what you are thinking of.
Yes, I was comparing it to an open frame model.

As I mentioned, I have the Predator 3500 inverter generator. Our inlaws have the champion one with the key fob start option. Ours is much quieter and better on fuel. The inlaws were mad when they found out ours was only $700 and they paid almost $1000. This little unit is very well built and runs like a charm.

Back