E series John Deere mowers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went with the S240 myself, it seemed like the best bang for the buck. It has a lot of the same equipment as the X350 (same engine, transmission, seat, etc...), but it has the Edge deck instead of the Accel Deep deck.

Originally Posted by glock19
I went with the S240 myself, it seemed like the best bang for the buck. It has a lot of the same equipment as the X350 (same engine, transmission, seat, etc...), but it has the Edge deck instead of the Accel Deep deck.

thanks for your input

I think that is what I'll probably end up going with and at the dealer I was looking at its listed as being on sale.

Originally Posted by Black_Thunder
Originally Posted by glock19

thanks for your input

I think that is what I'll probably end up going with and at the dealer I was looking at its listed as being on sale.

I'm doing the same thing this fall. Replacing a Simplicity for a Deere S240. But pay attention to the two quite different decks the S240 has in its two cutting widths. The wider deck, the 48" Accel Deep deck, is a 10 ga. deck vs. the 42" Edge deck being a 13 ga. Of course, the 42" deck is a two-blade system while the 48" is a triple-blade, so there's that.

Originally Posted by Black_Thunder
from what I can tell is they no longer make the X300, they only list the X330 and up on the website.
For what it is worth, I saw a John Deere TV commercial for the X300 Series on the news tonight. The S240 with the 48-inch deck does look like a good machine; I cannot think of a good reason to buy the model with the 42-inch deck.

I have a JD D140 purchased new April 2013. Just last month I replaced the original blades, original belts and original battery. I have one acre to mow and the machine had 242 total hours at time of service. I'm not complaining. It has done everything I asked of it.

Originally Posted by GrtArtiste
I have a JD D140 purchased new April 2013. Just last month I replaced the original blades, original belts and original battery. I have one acre to mow and the machine had 242 total hours at time of service. I'm not complaining. It has done everything I asked of it.
Good to know! My JD D140 purchased in 2015 has just crossed the 127 hour mark. I had the blades sharpened for the first time late last season and replaced the battery at the beginning of this season. If memory serves me I changed the factory copper plugs for NGK Iridium plugs early last season. Beyond an annual oil and filter change and a bi-annual air filter change, that's been about it.

If we extrapolate your running hours forward, you should reach 500 hours after 12 years of ownership. Using straight line depreciation with zero salvage value, your capital costs will come to about $150 per year if you junk the machine after 12 years. I could live with that, but I imagine that your JD is going to last longer than 12 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back