Converting V6 4th gen to V8?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planning on saving up all my summer paychecks toward the purchase of a 98-02 V6 Camaro (read: am broke 17 year old redneck) but after I am graduated and have my own place and all that I would want to put in an LS1. I know the cars are the same platform so what all would be involved in converting it from the 3800 to the LS1?

Don't know specifics of Camaro's, but it's almost universal that it is cheaper to buy the car you want than buy the car you don't want and convert it the one you do. Would check LS1tech or other 4th gen forums, sure there are a million swap threads as this is relatively straight forward, but might be costly.

Originally Posted by NYSteve
Don't know specifics of Camaro's, but it's almost universal that it is cheaper to buy the car you want than buy the car you don't want and convert it the one you do. Would check LS1tech or other 4th gen forums, sure there are a million swap threads as this is relatively straight forward, but might be costly.

I've heard of LS1Tech, I'll head over there and see what I find. Thanks!

Why not just buy a V8 Camaro to begin with? The cost to convert a V6 will be a [censored] of a lot more than starting off with V8. And have you checked how much insurance will cost?

clinebarger did one. He is a member here.

You need the 98 and up subframe, electronics and drive train of your choice.

Lots of people have done it.

But you can pick LS1 cars up now for 5000 bucks with a few miles that still run excellent. You will probably have that much in a swap if you don't sloppy it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by atikovi
Why not just buy a V8 Camaro to begin with? The cost to convert a V6 will be a [censored] of a lot more than starting off with V8. And have you checked how much insurance will cost?
They are the cheapest car you can get an LS and 6 speed in, and were legendary for a time because they were the last of the Camaros at one point. They are priced like collector cars because they are basically the ultimate millenial muscle car. One of the few American normal production cars of that era that have insane resale value.

If you're going to swap an LS into something, why that car? There's enough aftermarket support to put an LS in anything, I'd rather throw the money at a much prettier third gen F body than trying to get the same swap parts everyone else has for twenty years.

EDIT: There's a good chance plans will change and you will get stuck driving a worthless V6 4th gen. If you're young and poor get an import, that's where the value is in 2019 if you want to go fast. GTI, Civic SI, WRX, take your pic. You can get those cars cheap and drive them everyday without getting killed on fuel. If you want something old and American, get something that will be worth more than it's motor and trans when you are done with it.

Last edited:
Don't. It will be a colossal waste of time and money you'll never get back. Save the money towards furniture you will get if you have your own place out of high school.
You'll look attractive at 18 with your own place vs your friends who are still living at home. Trust me on this bud.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want a V8, get a V8. But at 17, insurance will probably kick your [censored] either way.

I test drove a V6 F-body before I ended up with my Mustang. It was gutless and I think my Camry is faster.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ls1mike
But you can pick LS1 cars up now for 5000 bucks with a few miles that still run excellent. You will probably have that much in a swap if you don't sloppy it.

Sold my '00 Z28 manual for HALF that amount, and yes, it was technically 'running', but had the dreaded LS1 dropped lifter 'clack' (from 250K miles of abject abuse LOL), LOUD and CLEAR.
frown.gif

The labor and downtime you'll never get back, plus the old V6 powertrain that nobody will buy from you.

It is better to buy the right one to begin with. If you can't just buy the V6 and be happy with it. Then when you have time money buy what you want. It may not be the V8 by then but if it is, you can still sell your V6 by then.

Originally Posted by cwilliamsws6
I'm planning on saving up all my summer paychecks toward the purchase of a 98-02 V6 Camaro (read: am broke 17 year old redneck)

If true shouldn't you be asking about how to do this?
thumbsup2.gif

[Linked Image]

Not worth it. For one thing, you need a compatible front K-member. Next you need a wiring harness, new PCM, probably a different radiator, and probably hundreds of other bits and pieces that will nickle and dime you to death. Not to mention after all that you will probably still have an open rear differential.

If you want a V8 camaro, its highly recommended you get a LS car that you can then fix up and modify if you still have money burning a hole in your pocket. If you are handy then you could even consider a LT1 camaro, but if you are not able to work on cars that's probably not a good idea, these cars are getting pretty old afterall.

Having done swaps it was always nice to not be too far upside down after completion. Competing against factory with a conversion unless something unusual and desirable is done will be a money pit IMHO.

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Originally Posted by ls1mike

Sold my '00 Z28 manual for HALF that amount, and yes, it was technically 'running', but had the dreaded LS1 dropped lifter 'clack' (from 250K miles of abject abuse LOL), LOUD and CLEAR.
frown.gif

I wonder if that would not be a cheaper way to go? A blown up (or nearly so) car would have every bracket needed for the conversion... that it wouldn't need in the first place. Just find a good running engine and drop in. All the wrenching with none of the fabrication or parts hunting required (outside of the engine).

Not sure how long you have been driving but driving gets alot more fun when you are not spending alot of money on gasoline. I would look for a newer reliable cheap car. Once you have reliable transportation you can make money by always making it to work then you can spend that money on a project.

If you want a V8, just get the V8

Besides, the V6 is hard enough to work on. The LS1 will be even worse! The engine is under the windshield, not under the hood! The early cars are the worst, both the 3.4 and the LT1
mad.gif

GM didn't seem to understand that the engine is supposed to go under the hood, not under the windshield
smirk2.gif
06.gif
43.gif
16.gif
31.gif

The 3800 has plenty of power and is quite fast!
19.gif

The only reason to even look at these cars is because of the T-tops
45.gif

Originally Posted by cwilliamsws6
I'm planning on saving up all my summer paychecks toward the purchase of a 98-02 V6 Camaro (read: am broke 17 year old redneck) but after I am graduated and have my own place and all that I would want to put in an LS1. I know the cars are the same platform so what all would be involved in converting it from the 3800 to the LS1?

*K-Member W/ Engine Mount Brackets.
*V8 Auto trans crossmember.
*Radiator....The radiator is actually the same besides the Steam Hose Fitting needed for LSx engines.
*Upper & Lower Radiator Hoses
*Heater Hose Assembly....No, You can't just run rubber hoses!!!
*Power Steering hoses.
*A/C Hose Assembly.
*Battery Cables (The whole assembly!)
*Air Filter Lid, Bellows, MAF.
*Throttle Cable, Throttle Pedal, Cruise Module & Cable (If the 3800 car is DBW), '99-'02 are DBW.
*Fuel Pressure Regulator as the 3800 have a rail return line vs Returnless on the LSx cars....Don't cheap out on this part!...Miscellaneous fuel lines & fitting to run a remote FPR.
*You have to add a fuse in the fuse block for Bank 2 Fuel Injector power. You can also modify a V8 harness to run all 8 injector off 1 fuse.

This above ASSUMES you have a LS1/4L60E out of a '99-'02 F-body with the front accessories, Engine Harness, Intake, Throttle Body, Oil Pan, Mounts etc.

The swap using a T56 adds more complications & you would almost need to start with a T5 equipped 3800 car to be remotely worth it!!

Buy a matching Header & Exhaust system!, Don't remember the last time I saw a LSx 4th gen with stock exhaust. The Hooker Blackheart system are nice!

My Camaro started life as a 3800/4L60E car.....But it's well beyond a LS1 swap at this point!
*L92 out of a 2008 Cadillac Escalade with a custom grind & dual valve springs
*5th Gen Camaro (LS3/L99) front accessories
*2003-2007 P59 engine controller with a custom engine harness
*4L80E with a 3200 stall converter
*Strange Dana 60, Truetrac, 3.73

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back