15 Tacoma 4.0L 1GR-FE 7.5k OCI 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally sent this to blackstone and noticed they had the wrong engine listed. They amended the report to correctly show wear numbers vs universal averages.

Oil used was unknown 5w-30 from quick lube joint.
Truck sees mostly highway miles and is driven gently. Truck is driven 30-40k per year. My buddy is sick of going to a quick lube joint every 5k miles which does not take long for him to rack up. We are using AMSOIL signature series 0w-30 from here on out pending good UOA results and planning on extending the drain interval as long as possible! Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 85
Last edited:
Looks great. I have always had great luck with Amsoil SS on my previous vehicles.

Whatever oil that is, it's done well for you. Maybe Valvoline? Any idea if it is synthetic? I have the same Truck, year and engine. How many times have you changed your air filter? I just changed mine at 45k miles for the 1st time.

at home oil changes with any synthetic oil + a good oil filter are cheap + easy IMO. most synthetics will do 10 thou easily when theres a lot of highway miles especially in warmer conditions.

Originally Posted by JerryBob
Whatever oil that is, it's done well for you. Maybe Valvoline? Any idea if it is synthetic? I have the same Truck, year and engine. How many times have you changed your air filter? I just changed mine at 45k miles for the 1st time.

This is my buddy's truck and we changed the air filter for the first time since he's had it at 85k. He bought it at 42k. Our schedule is to change plugs and filter every 30k and I do not know if it was synthetic.

thumbsup2.gif
With those mostly highway driving habits, he's a great candidate for extended drains.

Amsoil I would wait to sample at 10k - and leave it in. I believe the OM says 10k if not severe service.

KV100 (9.27 cSt) looks on the low side for a 5W-30, so it could have sheared down some. Lots of cam chain in the 4.0L 1GR. But hard to say how much since you don't know what oil was used. Low Moly oil formulation.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
KV100 (9.27 cSt) looks on the low side for a 5W-30, so it could have sheared down some. Lots of cam chain in the 4.0L 1GR. But hard to say how much since you don't know what oil was used. Low Moly oil formulation.

If it starts to shear down a lot on longer drain intervals we are gonna bump it to 0w-40

I ran SS 0W30 a few times to 10K with 5K factory filter changes in between. No analysis done. This time I'm running XL 5W30 in my 15 4.0L for six months between 6-7500 miles.

I am running this same engine with 10000 mile OCI. You are just getting to break in on this motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back