2015 4Runner 4.0L; TGMO 5k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys think about the aluminum from this sample? Timing chain tensioner was replaced approximately 7500 miles ago because the whining noise these 1GR-FE engines are making. That didn't fix the problem and Toyota says the whine is normal...

8B0B3849-B784-4191-8640-6AB50233073D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't know they were having a whining problem!

Haven't heard anything from my `18 yet except piston slap during first 1-2 minute warm up phase. Seems to be getting quieter as miles accumulate.

I thought these engine were bullet proof for the long haul?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by zfasts03
Didn't know they were having a whining problem!

Haven't heard anything from my `18 yet except piston slap during first 1-2 minute warm up phase. Seems to be getting quieter as miles accumulate.

I thought these engine were bullet proof for the long haul?

Google 4Runner engine whine or 4Runner.org has threads regarding it. Mine started at approximately 30k. I'm convinced it's the oil or transmission pump. Anyways it appears to only be an annoying sound and not a detriment to reliability. BS deal the way Toyota is dealing with it. They acknowledge that some are noisier than others. Then they replace a major internal part that doesn't fix the problem and, come back with it's normal for the 1GR-FE.

That aluminum is weird. If it repeats in future oil samples, I'd guess that they damaged the chain tensioner during replacement...easy to break the nylon slider which leaves the aluminum baseplate exposed and the chain sliding across it.

Originally Posted by OCDoiler
Wouldn't surprise me one bit!

Which tensioner did they replace? I referred to the #2 chain tensioner(s) located atop each cylinder head, maintaining tension on the side chains which run between the exhaust camshaft and intake camshaft. No such failure mode with the #1 chain tension that I can imagine.

I never saw the actual part. I believe its a kit, so probably the two small ones up top and the long tensioner/guide on the right side. I think Toyota was just taking a guess. It didn't make any change to the whine. I believe it's the engine or transmission pump, but I don't really know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back