Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta replace the rear wheel bearing on my 2005 LS430. Which brand could I use and be just as good as Toyota? I am thinking either Timken or Koyo.
The Timken uses a Koyo bearing.

What i have found with any new bearing is they are hit and miss. There were some pretty big discussions about on my Facebook car sites and it seems that it affects all makes.

When we did my buddies Camry, the first one we replaced it with failed quickly, less than 3000 miles. It was a Timken unit.

When I did the front one on my 05 Grand Prix, I had a similar problem. Second one lasted a long time. As I recall it was an SKF.

Just talked with the Lexus mechanic that does my more complicated work and he said to use KOYO as they make the bearings for Lexus.

Many of the big-name bearing manufacturers have two lines of bearings. One is their OEM line. The other is their replacement "jobber" line, which costs considerably less.

Originally Posted by MoneyJohn
Not too sure of Lexus, but I changed one for our 2015 Forester. The mechanic said SKF is next best to OEM.

IIRC, NTN is OEM. In my opinion, I always try to use OEM on Subaru bearings. On the 2008-earlier Subies (non-Legacy/Outback), using a non-NTN bearing will usually have you changing it again within a year or less for bearing noise.

IMHO, bearings are inexpensive enough to just go with the OEM supplier.

Just the bearing wouldn't be bad but I'm buying the entire assembly. $215-$290 for s "brand name."

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gebo
Just the bearing wouldn't be bad but I'm buying the entire assembly. $215-$290 for s "brand name."

FWIW my 2018 Mustang got sideswiped by an 18 wheeler and the rear bearing made noise when I got it back from the body shop. I did the work myself and used a Motorcraft hub/bearing as a replacement. I couldn't tell anything was wrong with the damaged bearing by spinning it by hand once it was off the car. It seems they are made to pretty tight tolerances/clearances as to where a little wear/damage will make noise. Highly recommend OEM parts for this application.

Last edited:
I put a Timken rear hub bearing assembly on my Accord a few years back and it's still going strong. Made in the USA with a NTN bearing (OEM one was NTN Japan). I lucked out getting it on clearance at AZ for like $30.

Unless you specify and can wait for one, you're at the mercy of what the shop you choose to do the work for you can get quickly, from where they normally get their parts delivery from. If it's from Napa, etc, I don't think you really know who made the bearing and the quality of it.

Originally Posted by Gebo

Dang, that's steep, even for a bearing assembly. Rockauto has a Timken for $177 and a Moog for $190. With RA's shipping, Amazon's base price is a bit higher but once shipping is added in, they're probably close.

How are you getting such a wide variation in price from $215 up to $290 ?

You could look up Mr T part number on partsouq site. I buy a lot from them. Even with shipping from Dubai, some items are cheaper than Rock's and arrive quicker.
Interestingly enough, just as an example, genuine lug nuts from the local dealer had Made in USA on them, and partsouq shipped me Made in Japan cheaper. Did not have a pleasure fixing rear ones, but the front ones were either Timken or Koyo from Toyota. As others said, they have different lines and different QA. It is impossible to buy a real, genuine Lexus OE part, as they are created by their QA at the assembly factory from Toyota parts. We had a few interesting anecdotes with the same part failing in Landcruiser UJ100 and working fine in a Lexus LX470 line.

The Koyo I got has the exact part number as the Lexus part number. And it was made in Japan. $245 delivered.

Originally Posted by Y_K
You could look up Mr T part number on partsouq site. I buy a lot from them. Even with shipping from Dubai, some items are cheaper than Rock's and arrive quicker.
Interestingly enough, just as an example, genuine lug nuts from the local dealer had Made in USA on them, and partsouq shipped me Made in Japan cheaper. Did not have a pleasure fixing rear ones, but the front ones were either Timken or Koyo from Toyota. As others said, they have different lines and different QA. It is impossible to buy a real, genuine Lexus OE part, as they are created by their QA at the assembly factory from Toyota parts. We had a few interesting anecdotes with the same part failing in Landcruiser UJ100 and working fine in a Lexus LX470 line.

I had never heard of partsouq. Thank you for the info. Very Nice...
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back