Anybody running SAE 30/SAE 40 in a 7.3 Powerstroke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or is it bad for a 7.3? Reason I ask is that my local parts store is getting rid of alot of SAE 30 SAE40 oil, and if I can use it on my truck I would buy it in a heart beat. Just FYI $2.50 a gal and ambient temps rarely dip to the low 30°.

Depending on your location in NM, a straight grade may or may not be a good choice.
You can buy a bottle, send it off for VOA info, and then decide if it's a good choice or not, but personally I'd stay clear and just use a decent inexpensive 15w-40 or 10w-30.

The old 6.9IDI was spec'd for 10w-30 or straight 30, but that does not apply to the PSD.

Originally Posted by Newman88
Just FYI $2.50 a gal

At 63 cents a quart I'd buy it just to use as a flushing oil, but then, I buy 2 or 3 cars a month. For regular use, not so sure.

Originally Posted by Chris142
I have not found any that meets cj,cj4 etc specs. I would love to run straight weight in my 6.9.

???????

The International 6.9 and early IDI 7.3 run just fine on "modern API rated" straight 30W !!

In the 80's & 90's if it was diesel and "living on a farm" - - - it got the same oil as everything else. Usually all fed from one drum of 30W

There's no reason to fear straight 30W in warm weather.

Originally Posted by Chris142
I have not found any that meets cj,cj4 etc specs. I would love to run straight weight in my 6.9.

Wal-Mart should have 'HD' SAE 30 that meets diesel specs...even older CI specs would work for yours.

Its the STP brand. Ill post the info on the bottle tomorrow, and aee what you oil gurus think.

What you guys think?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sometimes it is just mystifying why there is the confusion over oil specifications and approvals. Granted it is exacerbated by unscrupulous companies trying to fool consumers with weasel wording, but in this case the specs are flat out missing from that oil. I guess it is easier to focus on grade rather than specs since those are sometimes not printed on the front in large letters.

The truck in question requires what, CJ-4? What does the owner's manual say? Once you know that, find an oil that has the required spec.

Yes CJ-4 is the spec. I'm not using it on the 7.3 I did buy 24 qts of SAE 30 for my kids go karts and my ATV. Thanks again guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back