Honda 15400-PLM-A02 filter after 1700 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Motorking was still around he might be able to tell us if Honda filters made by Fram had any special performance requirements for the media. Honda probably gave performance specs to Fram (which are most likely propriatary anyway), and then Fram designed and/or sourced media to meet the requirements, which probably aren't very stringent or hard to meet.

I spend a lot time reading on "old car manual project" to try to gain some historical perspective. From the 60's up thru late 70's, GM called for the oil filter to be changed at the first oil change and every other oil change after that. Normal service OCI was 6k miles (with time constraints) thru the 60's rising to 7.5k miles (with time constraints) by 1977. No special extended life filters are mentioned nor do I recall any being available. Therefore, I would think that about any filter you could lay hands on should be good for 2X OCI.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
If Motorking was still around he might be able to tell us if Honda filters made by Fram had any special performance requirements for the media. Honda probably gave performance specs to Fram (which are most likely propriatary anyway), and then Fram designed and/or sourced media to meet the requirements, which probably aren't very stringent or hard to meet.

He couldn't (it is all trade secret - NDA)... He was probably only able to say the efficiency because someone else (Amsoil) had it tested. Other than that about all I could get was something to the effect that the Japanese OEMs did not place a high priority on efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back