Yard rollers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say a person has an 800 lb garden tractor. What would be a good weight to consider?

My tractor supply has a 5' 950 lb (when filled) unit I'm considering when the time comes.

Thanks everyone.

I use a giant one from the cheapo freight store. Filled with water it has to weigh nearly a half ton.

I pull it with a 26 hp riding mower. Not a problem, I can only notice it when stopping!

Originally Posted by Fawteen
Lawn rollers are a great way to compact the soil and destroy the aggregation.

True. Aerating a lawn would solve that problem.

I filled my (metal) Lawn-Roller with sand, NO filling & draining any water.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Fawteen
Lawn rollers are a great way to compact the soil and destroy the aggregation.

For those of us that have good soil and where the moles/etc have burrowed and caused mini-mountains, we need some compaction and re-leveling....

Unless you're going to use it a lot, I'd just rent one from HD. That's what I did when I renovated my lawn several years ago. My 17 hp JD lawn tractor pulled it filled with water without any problem.

I made a roller/aerator from some rebar, black plumbing parts and a large concrete form tube for less than $50. marked/drilled the outside of the tube and poked rebar into the center and welded to a 3/4'' black pipe. Filled it with concrete then built the Y shaped towing arm using few sections of threaded 1/2" pipe as axle and few 90/45 degree elbows going forward to the hitch point. Used to drag that around while mowing the lawn leaving the grass on there for composting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back