2.7 Ecoboost Reliable in F150?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long you expect to keep it? 50,000 miles? No problem. 300,000 miles? Good luck. This is pretty much uncharted territory. Small displacement high strung engines serving duty in heavy trucks.

Seems like there are a number of high mile, and even high mile with heavy use, Ecoboosts in the trucks, at least for the 3.5L. I'd expect the same kind of lifespan on 2.7L. Have to remember, these engines weigh about the same as the 5.0L V8; these are not some lightweight casting with high boost.

But I think there was some issues with xW20 and timing chains, at least on a few motors? And lightly used engines can build some condensation in the intercooler (which to be truthful can be seen on other boosted engines). Of course, dealing with condensation can be dealt with one's foot and/or a small appropriately located hole.

If you're 5 and done, no worries. 20 year ownership... eh, probably still not worth worrying about, Ford sells a boatload and even if there are issues repairs are bound to be cheap. Everyone worries about turbos but it doesn't seem like it's been a real problem on these mills.

I had a 2016 with the 2.7 twin turbo, and six speed tranny. Now I own a 2018 2.7 twin turbo and 10 speed developed by Ford, and GM. The new 2.7 has 12 injectors to deal with intake valve deposits. The 10 speed is clunky that you can hear, and feel. Dealers say it's normal. The performance of the engine is awesome with max torque at 2750 rpm, and the fuel economy is class leading. The block is compacted graphite as is the Powerstroke deisel. It should be very strong. The ride is quiet, but jittery in the rear without a load. If I had to buy a new truck today, it would be a Ram. I've owned Chevy, GMC, Nissan, Ford, and Ram. I liked the Ram the best. I'm not concerned with longevity as I just don't keep them long.

Originally Posted by Gillsy
I had a 2016 with the 2.7 twin turbo, and six speed tranny. Now I own a 2018 2.7 twin turbo and 10 speed developed by Ford, and GM. The new 2.7 has 12 injectors to deal with intake valve deposits. The 10 speed is clunky that you can hear, and feel. Dealers say it's normal. The performance of the engine is awesome with max torque at 2750 rpm, and the fuel economy is class leading. The block is compacted graphite as is the Powerstroke deisel. It should be very strong. The ride is quiet, but jittery in the rear without a load. If I had to buy a new truck today, it would be a Ram. I've owned Chevy, GMC, Nissan, Ford, and Ram. I liked the Ram the best. I'm not concerned with longevity as I just don't keep them long.

Not exactly, it is still cast iron but the carbon inclusions are flakes. It isn't "compacted graphite" as in being made of carbon.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by Gillsy

Not exactly, it is still cast iron but the carbon inclusions are flakes. It isn't "compacted graphite" as in being made of carbon.

Pardon my omission, the manufacturer states "compacted graphite iron".

LoneRanger
I would buy one. I have been thinking about trading my Escape for a pickup. The F-150 with the 2.7 would be on that list. The only problem that I have been hearing about is the composite oil pan. Early on the composite oil pan could leak where it was mounted to the block. Ford is using a special RTV sealant as the gasket. I don't know if they have remedied that situation. I really like the XL with the STX package. My other choice would be the Ram with the 3.6 Pentastar.

Originally Posted by supton

If you're 5 and done, no worries. 20 year ownership... eh, probably still not worth worrying about, Ford sells a boatload and even if there are issues repairs are bound to be cheap.

20 year ownership has become quite rare, it seems.

I wonder what % of the US population has a 20+ year old vehicle registered.

Less than 2%?

Originally Posted by Linctex

If you're 5 and done, no worries. 20 year ownership... eh, probably still not worth worrying about, Ford sells a boatload and even if there are issues repairs are bound to be cheap.

Less than 2%?

This link says the average age was over 11 years in 2016. Not sure how badly it skews though, probably falls off a cliff as age and accidents will quickly cull low value vehicles.

I am liking how the combo (2.7 twin turbo and 10-speed) looks on paper, probably going to test drive this evening after work. I don't abide clunky transmissions, so I'm holding out hope that it is somewhat smooth.

They are pretty reliable. We tend to do spark plugs earlier than people would expect like all the EcoBoost engines, usually starting around the 30K mile range. Also know that if you are DIY'ing the oil change to wait 15 minutes before checking the oil level.

OP, my doctor buddy has a 3.5 Crew Cab (2015) and a 2.7 SuperCab (2017), both 4x4s, and drives both of them regularly. The 3.5 has around 100k, and the 2.7 has around 83k; both get bulk oil changes from his local indie with whatever filter comes off the shelf. Never any mechanical issues with the trucks. He actually prefers the 2.7 as he says it "feels" more responsive at light loads, and is still plenty powerful enough to have fun/get in trouble with Johnny Law. He has a trailer and tractor combo he tows with either one, around 7500lbs. Other than the 40HP difference, he says the only real thing he would change on the 2.7 is not with the engine, but with the cab itself. The SuperCab does not have a B pillar, and therefore has some cowl shake that the CrewCab does not. He said when it is time to replace the 3.5 CC he will in all likelihood get a 2.7 CC since it is more than enough to handle his workload and is a little more efficient since he's driving to five different offices every week.

I have a 2018 5.0 V8 (it was redesigned engine for 2018). It has a lot of problems that are well-known to Ford. The 2.7 and 3.5 were redesigned for 2017 MY. The 2.7 is the best motor of the three for reliability, from what I can tell from frequenting an F150 forum regularly. The 10 speed is clunky, though I hear it is a little better in the 2019s due to better programming. I don't think I'd by my truck again, and unfortunately I needed one and it was before the new RAM was out. I think I'm going to wait and see what the 2021 MY Tundra is like, it is supposed to be redesigned by then. Then I'll compare it, and the Titan, and RAM. The build quality on he Ford just isn't that impressive.

Originally Posted by Linctex

Less than 2%?

I think you meant to say......
I wonder what % of the US population has 20+ year registered ownership of their vehicle.

Both the 2.7 and 3.5 are well designed engines and one of the few DI designs that won't have intake valve build up. That saves you $500-$600 every 100K or so. Truck transmission life is very dependent on whether you tow or carry heavy loads a lot ; older transmissions routinely required rebuilds every 120-150K. Trucks also last 15-20 years. The powertrain lasted a lot longer under light (e.g. recreations/commuting) use. I'd look at the price difference between the engines and judge whether the additional resale value and utility is worth the slightly poorer fuel economy and capability.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
I am liking how the combo (2.7 twin turbo and 10-speed) looks on paper, probably going to test drive this evening after work. I don't abide clunky transmissions, so I'm holding out hope that it is somewhat smooth.

I have the 2018 F150 Super Crew 4x4 XLT with the 2.7 and 10 speed auto. I don't agree that the transmission is clunky. I'd say simply that the transmission is not "slushbox smooth".

It has accurate, quick upshifts and downshifts that you can hear and feel, but only just barely. I find nothing to dislike about it.

I also find it to be a bit of a hot rod. It is truly fast. Not just "fast for a truck". It will out accelerate many sports cars, especially on the highway. I get 21 MPG in mixed driving. The 2018 and up models will do a sub 6 second 0-60.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back