Coolant in Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I recently purchased a '99 4Runner. I believe I did pretty good diligence on the inspection prior to purchasing (no milky stuff under the oil cap) but now after changing the oil I'm concerned I might have a blown head gasket. I was considering trying out Bars Leak. The guy I purchased it from did all of his own maintenance, had old school painter's tape with the mileage on the windshield... I noticed a Fram Extra Guard filter - so leads me to believe he did stuff by the cheapest cost. Is this what dino oil looks like on a 160K engine or does it look like there's coolant in the oil? I just filled with Mobil 5W-30 EP High Mileage, a full quart of Marvel Mystery Oil, and a Fram Ultra filter. I hope this guy didn't screw me as he did not mention any problems mechanically or with the oil. To add to the mystery, car also had a CEL a few days after I drove it for an EVAP leak (despite me checking with my own scanner, none current or pending) - but where I bought it from doesn't test for emissions so I let that go. No bubbles under the radiator, no noticeable leaks anywhere, and no white smoke out of the tailpipe. I did a block test (chemical test with liquid that changes colors if exhaust is detected in coolant) and it came back negative. The pictures have me flashing my light on the oil, was doing it later at night so not natural lighting, not sure if that distorts them. I just fear it looks like the dreaded chocolate milkshake.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
It certainly does look like there might be coolant in the oil - it's a bit milky, interesting you don't have any other signs of a leaking head gasket. Have you removed the spark-plugs and preformed a compression test? It also could be very used conventional oil. I would run your new oil for ~500 miles and then send a sample in to a lab for testing.

Last edited:
If you're going to try a sealant try K-seal best product of its kind. Once it works you can flush out the remainder. It is permanent.

From the looks of that oil it could either be very used conventional oil, or a slight leakage of coolant. Save the oil and send it off for analysis. Before clogging your coolant system with stop leaks I'd just fix the gaskets, but I like wrenching and am capable.

The only time I've ever had choco milk oil was a blown head gasket on a Ford Tempo many many moons ago. Curious, are your spark plugs wet? Does your oil smell like fuel? If not, then it's not gas and probably coolant. Personally, i've had dino in an engine for a gazillion miles (that previously mentioned Tempo) and it just keeps getting black as night unless there's a moisture issue.

Have it tested before you do anything. You might use your scan tool to see when the last time DTC's were cleared.

Last edited:
Is your coolant level going down?
How cloudy or puffy is your exhaust, if at all? Any white smoke that smells like coolant?
Driveability. Is the throttle response sometimes muted, or not instantaneous?

If it is a small leak, you have some options. The best fix, if it is that, is of course new gaskets, if that is not cost-prohibitive. But there may be one. I would change the oil and look for a decrease in coolant level first.

First and foremost, Welcome!
welcome2.gif

The oil does look suspect, but I wouldn't add any magic elixir's just yet...…….let that fresh Oil Change play out and monitor your engine...….watch for Coolant loss, Oil in the Coolant, white smoke, overheating, ect and make your evaluation on what is observed.

Could be getting worked up over nothing. Enjoy your new ride!

Originally Posted by atikovi
I'd change the oil and filter in 500 miles (if it makes it that far) just to flush out the system and see how it looks then.

I agree; do a short OCI and see what happens. If it's really dirty it might darken up quickly but nearly so bad. The shot in normal light looks normal to me.

That looks just like the oil in my friends tundra after we changed it. It wasn't coolant it was just super dirty because it wasn't changed that often.

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by atikovi
I'd change the oil and filter in 500 miles (if it makes it that far) just to flush out the system and see how it looks then.

I agree; do a short OCI and see what happens. If it's really dirty it might darken up quickly but nearly so bad. The shot in normal light looks normal to me.

I do agree. Only one of the shots looks like it could be the chocolate milkshake oil, the others look much more normal. And that is the shot you added light to. I do understand that you wanted to get a good shot of the oil, but it might be fine.

We all agree that you should change that oil out A.S.A.P. and check it after the next trip, the end of the day, before starting the car the next time, over the course of three days and a week, really keep an eye on it.

IF you have a coolant problem, the level will be going down and even if the radiator is dirty (does the coolant have gold flakes in it? It is supposed to be green unless that car has a specific color like Toyota Red I could be wrong, they also have Pink) and if you do not see it on the ground then it is going somewhere else, but you are not there yet. Through the exhaust leaves a puffy, sweet smelling, white smoke, that smells like.. antifreeze. Sometimes if there is just water in there it is less or not noticeable. Which is unlikely there is just water in there.

Keep an eye on the coolant level and the temp gauge, if neither of those show a problem I wouldn't worry about it. If it was short-tripped or sat for a while, it could just be condensation.

Originally Posted by Railrust
It could very well be just old fashioned moisture, and not coolant.

Yep....looks like the oil that comes out of my snowblower from sitting. Plus if it was a bad HG you would have idling problems, lost coolant and a number codes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back