Did QSUD new 2016 bottle style come with black caps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I was doing my daily admiration of my glorious & magnificent stockpile of automotive lubricants, I noticed I have a 5 qt jug of QSUD bottled in Nov-2016. I have other QS oils made around the same time and same container style with QSAD line having black caps, HM line with red caps, and the QSUD line with gold caps. This bottle is labeled as QSUD 5W-30 but it has a sealed black cap. Is this more likely to be a miscapped QSUD oil or a mislabeled QSAD oil? I emailed the batch number and Shell's reply told me to look at the part number printed on the back label - which wouldn't help if it's a mislabeled QSAD product. Or was the container supposed to be like this? Should I worry that it's a returned container?

[Linked Image]

I once worked in a hot sauce bottling plant and I would trust the labels. On a normal day those lids are the right size and weight for employees to spend the day throwing at each other and it would be easy for a few to end up in the wrong box or hopper. Or they could have received a huge order they were contractually required to fill in a certain time and didn't have enough "correct" caps on hand and received permission for a substitution. Labels on the other hand came in rolls of 200 - 500 and applied by machine. They would be check by the material handler, line supervisor, machine operator, quality control, shipping department, and finally the retail shop who would accept delivery.

I have some QSUD with black caps, but new enough to be Dexos 1 Gen 2. Newer bottles are gold caps. There still are some at my local Menards with black caps.

Last edited:
In my QS stash the only bottles with gold caps are the full synthetic. The semi-syn and conventional have black caps. If there's no sign of tampering then I wouldn't worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back