How do Adjust Your Seat and Mirrors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never given this much thought over the years. I'm almost 5 years into my current car, and always just went by "feel" when adjusting seat height/distance as well as the steering wheel angles. I read a few articles recently, this one from C&D being one of them, and it made a difference. It's more comfortable to drive my car as a result of following these simple steps.

Link

I adjust the side mirrors so I just see the rear corner of the vehicle and ground as well. Rear view mirror is pretty straightforward.

I like my seats adjusted high. I adjust the steering wheel down so the top part is just above the instrument panel.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I adjust the side mirrors so I just see the rear corner of the vehicle and ground as well. Rear view mirror is pretty straightforward.

I like my seats adjusted high. I adjust the steering wheel down so the top part is just above the instrument panel.

As well as what? The article says "Your side mirrors should be adjusted to look into your blind spots without any of your own vehicle visible." Which would not include the rear corner of your vehicle. I do it the article way.

Also I caution shorter people that if the side mirrors block their line of sight, they need to raise their seat. This is surprisingly common, and quite a large and dangerous blind spot.

Back to the article, helmets and modern head restraints are a bad combination. Older seat headrests can work OK with a helmet, they were further back years ago.

Originally Posted by HangFire
Originally Posted by PimTac

As well as what? The article says "Your side mirrors should be adjusted to look into your blind spots without any of your own vehicle visible." Which would not include the rear corner of your vehicle. I do it the article way.

Also I caution shorter people that if the side mirrors block their line of sight, they need to raise their seat. This is surprisingly common, and quite a large and dangerous blind spot.

Back to the article, helmets and modern head restraints are a bad combination. Older seat headrests can work OK with a helmet, they were further back years ago.

I do it that way to give me a reference point. I can only see the very corner of my car. That's enough.

Put my head to the driver's window...move mirror out until the side just disappears. Move my head to the right the same distance... move passenger mirror until that side of the car just disappears. Mirrors set perfectly, hardly a blind spot, super easy to make quick decisions when you need to. Most people don't know this is how your mirrors are supposed to be set. As professional drivers and instructors would say, "why do you need to see the side of your car? To admire the scratch from sideswiping someone because you like to see the side of your car in the mirror?"

So the title of the article is "How to adjust your seat and mirror for track driving" with a citation "This content is part of Dodge Racing School." It goes on to say "The best position for your seatback is usually more upright than the one you use day to day. " Is this advice valid for a daily driver? Could be but the emphasis is definitely on track driving. YMMV.

I tried the side mirrors aimed way out and couldn't get used to it. Need the reference point plus being able to see cars coming up the lanes beside me. Just seeing the back corner is hardly seeing the whole side...

I always give a quick glance before changing lanes in traffic, probably because I don't have the mirrors set right?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AZjeff
So the title of the article is "How to adjust your seat and mirror for track driving" with a citation "This content is part of Dodge Racing School." It goes on to say "The best position for your seatback is usually more upright than the one you use day to day. " Is this advice valid for a daily driver? Could be but the emphasis is definitely on track driving. YMMV.

I tried the side mirrors aimed way out and couldn't get used to it. Need the reference point plus being able to see cars coming up the lanes beside me. Just seeing the back corner is hardly seeing the whole side...

I always give a quick glance before changing lanes in traffic, probably because I don't have the mirrors set right?

You see them in rearview. When they disappear in rearview you see them in side. When they disappear in side they're right out your window next to you. It's the only way to set them. Once you get used to it you'll wonder how you lived safely before. It's in drivers instruction, Click and Clack used to have it on their website, my defensive driving class I took as a teen for reduced insurance rates, etc.

When I drive work cars or other people's cars I always ask, "why do you want to see the SAME CAR in the side mirror AND rearview? It's a waste of mirror angles to know the same car is there by seeing it in two spots at the same time."

My first check on my blind spots is my HUD. Times have changed.

If you drive other peoples cars you have to adjust the mirrors anyway. I doubt they appreciate the lecture if there is one

Some people are open minded and don't realize there's a better way until they try it. Some people are closed minded. It's amazing what a person can learn if they're open minded to hearing ideas and trying things. I mean AAA agrees with me. But I'm probably wrong.

Not sure what track driving has to do with everyday driving?

But my seat is scooted all the way back, and I don't sit much straight up, it's tilted back a little.

Mirrors are adjusted to only see a little bit of my car for reference.

Originally Posted by Nick1994

But my seat is scooted all the way back, and I don't sit much straight up, it's tilted back a little.

Reference for what? The side of your car will always be where it was yesterday. Don't you believe it's still there unless you can see it? Use your mirrors to maximize seeingwhat changes. The side of your car won't change. It'll always be a few feet behind you.

Last edited:
An uncomfortable driver is a far more dangerous driver than someone who is comfortable. If someone is comfortable seeing just the tiniest sliver of their own car in the sideviews, let them be.

Originally Posted by HowAboutThis

Reference for what? The side of your car will always be where it was yesterday. Don't you believe it's still there unless you can see it? Use your mirrors to maximize seeingwhat changes. The side of your car won't change. It'll always be a few feet behind you.

For reference of how close the other cars are next to me. My mirror might as well be pointed completely out.

About 1/2" of my mirror sees my car.

Cameras are game changers, especially backing up.

Mirrors are another reason I prefer trucks. On the Super Duty trucks, I keep the lower convex mirror showing the ground, rear tires, and a good chunk of the pickup box. Ideal for towing trailers and maneuvering in tight spots. Also good for keeping an eye on the trailer and it's tires. I keep the main mirrors adjusted as suggested; way out so I see the lanes next to me. I also keep my seat up as high as it will go. I like a commanding view and I want to see up and over the hood because I often have to park up close to other vehicles or equipment.

Set up like this in such a large truck, I see everything as I go down the road.

Again, there is a learning curve adjusting the mirrors as suggested. I used to keep my mirrors adjusted to just see the side of the vehicle, but if you're honest with yourself on what the mirrors are for and are willing to go through the re-adjustment/learning curve, it is a safe way to keep them adjusted.

I always apply small circular convex spot mirrors to both side view mirrors. Makes lane changes so much easier. No blind spots, no "head turning" . You always know with certainty who is on your side.

Originally Posted by HowAboutThis

For reference of how close the other cars are next to me. My mirror might as well be pointed completely out.

About 1/2" of my mirror sees my car.

Your mirrors aren't aimed properly.

Does the fact that I can't remember the last time we owned a "car" and all our vehicles have side mirrors large enough to have a little convex mirror attached that eliminates the blind spot completely change anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back