Mobil 1 sold at Walmart vs Summit Racing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at Summit Racing's retail store last night and I figured while I was there, I should pick up some oil. Why go to Walmart when you can buy from Summit (and they have the price match guarantee), right?

So I went to the counter and asked the guy to price match Walmart's Mobil 1 price. The guy proceeds to tell me they can't price match oil because their Mobil 1 contains higher quality additives than Walmart's Mobil 1. I thought oh, you must be referring to different grades of Mobil 1 (like the high mileage, extended performance, etc) but I just wanted the regular Mobil 1, where the jug pictured on Walmart's website matched their jug exactly. He still swore up and down it was different because of the "ingredients". LOL.

Someone explain to me that Mobil 1 sold in the exact same packaging is different from Walmart and other vendors. Make me feel dumb.

It's the same.

Mobil wouldn't stake their name on selling different oil in the same package. If the UPC is the same, guess what? It's the same!

Think about it.

It's been discussed here and many other places
18.gif

Guy just didn't want to price match. Mobil wouldn't put different oil in the same bottle. If they advertise the price match then I'd contact the BBB. Sounds like shady business practices to me.

The secret is that Summit racing buys it from Walmart then puts it in their shelf. Even after the Walmart markup, its probably still cheaper than Summit can buy it direct from Exxon.
smile.gif

Volume = pricing power.

I've found that many more or less independent store will exclude price matching with big box stores. Seem reasonable to me since the big outfits purchase in major bulk sizes. Ed

From Mobil 1 FAQ:
The formulation and quality level of our motor oils are the same wherever the product name is the same, regardless of the package size in which it is sold.

Summit Racing is just looking for an excuse to not price match.

Considering that his response to you was not just idiocy but outright lying and making things up, I don't think I would ever shop there again. If he makes up stuff like that, what else is he making up?

Most people that want to price match another physical store do so because the store with the better price is further away or they don't want to shop there.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Considering that his response to you was not just idiocy but outright lying and making things up, I don't think I would ever shop there again. If he makes up stuff like that, what else is he making up?

Great, great points here ^^^^^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back