engine air filters...all the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Im looking to replace the engine air filter in my 2017 Hyundai Elantra VE 2.0. Are engine air filters pretty much all the same quality? Is there really one brand far superior than other, or all the same quality? Just go to Wal Mart, pick one and be done with it?

Thanks
Michael

Last edited:
The Fram air filters at WM are a good choice. Great fit and a little heavier than the oem ones. Fit and finish were very good unlike some of the ones I've seen at the auto parts store.
thumbsup2.gif

If the OE filter is oiled, I try to replace with the same.

Otherwise, I use aftermarket. But the filtering efficiency of air filter media does vary. How much it matters is hard to say...

When my '18 needs an air filter, I'm just going to pick up a FRAM from Wally World. FRAM filters have worked fine in my cars over the years.

Those test results are from a 2004 study. While I hope they are still an indication of quality, alas 15 yeas later outsourcing and companies quest to save money may yield different results today.
coffee2.gif

Last edited:
There is a difference in quality. From one brand to the other, it's probably a crap shoot unless efficiency is published somewhere. Generally the higher priced / top tier filters will be better quality than the others.

For example, Carquest Red and Blue are different-- red being a paper element for my application and blue being a woven cotton type element. You'll find that cheaper filters generally are made cheaper, and more expensive ones made better.

I would say they vary. I put a Napa (Wix) air filter in my 1999 Saturn and there was a 1 inch hole in a few thousand miles. Switched to Fram and never had issue for 200k. With my Elantra it will be OEM. If that was not available a Fram.

I am sure they are still good as they still make OE filters. I don't know anything about Fram air filters the does not seem to any sort of test with them. Delco or Mann is what I use mostly.
I have to question how anyone can say Fram or this one or that one works great other than the fit when there is no easily found data to prove it does or doesn't.
I suppose as long as its not a K&N most are all good.

I should add previously I had a K&N on the Ford and the Honda and after reading about these on the forum I quit using the K&N. I never had any problems
with them but everyone on BITOG seem to believe the paper filters are better so I quit using the K&N reusable filters.

I use the microgard from O'Reilly most of the time. It "seems" to be doing its job as I rarely have one that looks dirty. I think a lot of it has to do with where you live. Even living in a mostly rural area like I do, I rarely get on a non-paved road.

Run whichever one fits into your budget and don't try to clean any of them out (i.e. No vacuuming, no compressed air, no tapping on floor of garage) in between installation and replacement.

Doing that will ensure you never have a problem with the engine that is due to poor air filtration.

Also, submitting used oil samples for a UOA periodically will provide feedback on how well your filter is working. High silica means poor filtration or a leak in air intake somewhere. Low or no silica means you're doing good with current filter.

Anything but K&N.. check out Rock. If you're willing to buy multiples, you can get a good deal on a number of name brand filters.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SatinSilver
The Fram air filters at WM are a good choice. Great fit and a little heavier than the oem ones. Fit and finish were very good unlike some of the ones I've seen at the auto parts store.
thumbsup2.gif

Next to OEM, Frams are my favorite too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back