Amsoil 0W-30, 14,198 MILES, 1993 Civic

Originally Posted by loneryder
Is the trans original??

Yes, it is the un-rebuilt original automatic transmission that's been fed a diet of Amsoil ATF since 120,000 miles.

Originally Posted by JustN89
That is a lot of potassium. Has your coolant level changed at all?

I was just wondering.... do you think that the 5 bottles of Techron I used, counteracted the Barrs anti-leak tablets?

Originally Posted by harry j

I was just wondering.... do you think that the 5 bottles of Techron I used, counteracted the Barrs anti-leak tablets?

You add the Techron to the gas tank and the Bars leak to the coolant, right?
I haven't heard of Techron causing high K in UOAs.

I was thinking that wherever the leak plugged by the Barrs anti-leak tablet, became undone due to the action of the Techron

which was absolutely not used per directions. I wanted to see if the copper level went up and I exaggerated the Techron use.

It had no effect on the copper.

This thread is amazing!
01.gif

I contacted Blackstone Labs and asked them if it was possible all the Techron that was used in the last OCI could have

cleaned out the Barr's anti-leak tablets work. Yes that is a possibility a Blackstone representative said.

BTW, I have 144,400 miles on this head gasket, how long do these things last anyway? Seems to me thay should last a lot longer than that.

My 1st one went at 190k (B18B1, Integra automatic), then it lasted about 80K miles and blew because of a stuck closed radiator cap that only let out coolant into the overflow tank but not back in, it ran the radiator low and therefore warp the head. Not the head gasket's fault though.

Originally Posted by zorobabel

You add the Techron to the gas tank and the Bars leak to the coolant, right?
I haven't heard of Techron causing high K in UOAs.

Yes, the Barr's Anti-leak tablets went into the cooling system and the Techron into the gas tank.

If there was a minor leak in the head gasket that was plugged by the Barr's anti-leak,

the Techron may have eaten it

My 1st one went at 190k (B18B1, Integra automatic), then it lasted about 80K miles and blew because of a stuck closed radiator cap that only let out coolant into the overflow tank but not back in, it ran the radiator low and therefore warp the head. Not the head gasket's fault though.[/quote]

Because of your post PandaBear, I determined that my radiator cap was starting to go bad. For months the anti-freeze in the overflow bottle was relatively

steady. Lately the level in the bottle was going up. So I checked the radiator and the level was a little low. A new radiator cap solved the issue. You may

have saved my engine. 548,000 miles

Last edited:
Miles on Civic-549,314
Miles on oil--5,160
Amsoil AZO 0W-30
Amsoil Eao36 filter
Twin Filtermag CT3.2's
Dimple magnetic oil drain plug
5 ozs Liquimoly
32 ounces makeup oil

Blackstone Labs; It looks like changing the head gasket was the right move, since potassium and sodium
were at their highest yet in this sample. Everything else actually looks pretty steady (even iron, once we factor in
the much shorter interval you used this time), so it might be October before we see signs of the repair in the oil.
Even if we don't, we'll definitely be looking for signs of coolant to start waning. Fuel stayed away this time, and the
viscosity came back in spec. TBN at 4.6 shows additive left, and the PC was 22/21/19. Fingers crossed for good
news next oil change.

Code:
Aluminum--------------------3------------------------------------------------------4 (universal average based on 5,900 mile OCI)
Chromium--------------------1------------------------------------------------------1
Iron-----------------------------19----------------------------------------------------9
Copper-------------------------2-----------------------------------------------------3
Lead----------------------------0-----------------------------------------------------2
Tin-------------------------------0-----------------------------------------------------1
Molybdenum------------------318-------------------------------------------------85
Nickel---------------------------0-----------------------------------------------------0
Manganese-------------------0------------------------------------------------------0
Silver---------------------------0------------------------------------------------------0
Titanium------------------------0-----------------------------------------------------1
Potassium---------------------308--------------------------------------------------4
Boron----------------------------29---------------------------------------------------51
Silicon---------------------------19---------------------------------------------------11
Sodium--------------------------43---------------------------------------------------43
Calcium--------------------------1145-----------------------------------------------2130
Magnesium----------------------884------------------------------------------------154
Phosphorus---------------------674-------------------------------------------------713
Zinc--------------------------------743------------------------------------------------833
Barium----------------------------0---------------------------------------------------0

SUS Viscosity @ 210 F----------62.9--------------------------------------------57-67 (values should be)
cSt Viscosity @ 100 C----------11.04-------------------------------------------9.4-12-4
Flashpoint in F---------------------415--------------------------------------------->385
Fuel %------------------------------- Antifreeze %-----------------------POS--------------------------------------------0.0
Water %-----------------------------0.0---------------------------------------------- Insolubles %-----------------------0.3----------------------------------------------- TBN----------------------------------4.6----------------------------------------------->1.0
TAN-----------------------------------not done
ISO Code----------------------------22/21/19

Particles for ISO Oil Cleanliness Code 22/21/19;

>=2 Microns--------------54,993
>=5--------------------------20,363
>=10-------------------------5,673
>=15--------------------------2,170
>=25--------------------------521
>=50--------------------------46
>=100-------------------------3

IMG_0037.JPG

Does anyone know how long it takes to burp out all the air from the cooling system?

It has been a couple of weeks since the new head gasket was installed and the

level in the overflow reservoir has been slowly going down. I initially filled it to the full mark

right after the change and had to add some blue Honda coolant the next day. The level had gone

from full to the minimum line. Now it is about 5mm below the full mark.

In effect, yes. The cooling system is filled as much as possible at the Honda service dept. The level is usually

down some in the overflow reservoir the next day. This usually goes on for a couple of days, requiring less and less each time,

until the level stabilizes.

ok if you got it done at honda they would have burped it for you already. i ended up having to replace some coolant in my car i just parked on and incline, removed the radiator cap stuck a funnel in it with some coolant and ran the heat on the car on max for awhile, squeezed the hoses and kept filling the funnel minimally until no more bubbles came out, took like 30 mins, waited for both radiator hoses to get hot so i know the coolant circulated. i dont think just driving around gets rid of any of the air.

Not to put a damper on a great thread harry but why are you posting in such a strange format? I keep thinking you're starting a new paragraph yet it's in the middle of a sentence. Never seen that one before. Anyway harry, keep on keepin' on. By the way, I'm also an Amsoil fanboy, great stuff. Cheers!

Originally Posted by loneryder
Is the trans original??

Yes, it is the un-rebuilt original automatic transmission that's been fed a diet of Amsoil ATF since 120,000 miles.

SS I presume....if you don't mind me asking, what interval are you going on the trans fluid?

Back