The 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Makes an Insane 760 Horsepower

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read article and seen the videos on YouTube. I'm guessing this Mustang will be no less than $80K.

Crazy amount of performance for the money.

I saw the Grand Tour episode where they had the Mustang GT, the Hellcat, and the Camaro ZL1, and the ZL1 couldn't put the power down at all. It lost all the drag races due to just spinning the rear wheels.

There comes a point of diminishing returns, IMO.

Originally Posted by Treadstone

That is so true. The limit for a typical high performance street car is about or around 600HP. Of course, lighter cars are less. Also heavy cars like the Tesla Model S can put down more HP with no problem.

There is a reason most of the everyday exotics hover around 600HP.

I've had my fun with some really powerful road race cars and exotics. 1000HP and AWD was always a dream of mine. However, going sideways in an overpowered Corvette with an inept driver at 80 mph is not my idea of fun. I never rode with the guy again. All that power was absolutely useless on the street. Even when ya spend time warming up the tires....

I grew up with vivid memories of the 70's when new vehicles could barely muster about 1/3 HP per cubic inch....
..and memories of fast-vanishing Chevelle 396 and 454 SS cars, Hemi and 440-6 pack Mopars, and 429 Boss Mustangs were now all going into collections...

I never thought I would see the day - when 700 HP (not gross - NET) was now common to all those who could afford it.

Now just imagine (IF you can), this very same car with 1000 lbs. or so of fat pared from it's mass, and 100 tread wear (or less) gumballs on it's wheels!!
crazy2.gif

SO much want.....

I was seriously considering a new Mustang GT with the Performance Pack level 2 but then I looked at how much replacement tires would cost
crazy2.gif

I saw the Grand Tour episode where they had the Mustang GT, the Hellcat, and the Camaro ZL1, and the ZL1 couldn't put the power down at all. It lost all the drag races due to just spinning the rear wheels.

Agreed. My Z06 with 505hp and 325's was comfortable, but add 50% to that and up the weight and shrink the tires? Definitely spin city.

I'm not a Nissan fan, but they figured it out with the GT-R. Make it AWD.

Last edited:
Funny thing about power is I am content where my 14 is. I constantly have, mostly sales people, asking me when I am going to put a supercharger on it. I tell them that it already gets 14mpg. Plus until I take it to a road course and get totally comfortable with it on an open track, I have no need for upping the power. Plus I have my money pit 95 Mustang to build into a track car anyway.

Originally Posted by Cujet

That is so true. The limit for a typical high performance street car is about or around 600HP. Of course, lighter cars are less. Also heavy cars like the Tesla Model S can put down more HP with no problem.

There is a reason most of the everyday exotics hover around 600HP.

I've had my fun with some really powerful road race cars and exotics. 1000HP and AWD was always a dream of mine. However, going sideways in an overpowered Corvette with an inept driver at 80 mph is not my idea of fun. I never rode with the guy again. All that power was absolutely useless on the street. Even when ya spend time warming up the tires....

It really depends on the design, weight distribution, and tires. With soft, sticky tires I can effectively use the 930 rwhp and similar torque, my forced induction Viper puts to the ground. As fast as it is, it can't keep up with my Sportbikes in acceleration.

Crazy insane amounts of power -and it's among the coolest embodiment of mechanical achievement that humans can muster-up. It's got everything a human being existing in this physical world can put into one place. All forms of mechanical motion, metallurgy, classical mechanics and physics, chemistry, fire, thermodynamics, electronics, manufacturing techniques... the whole enchilada! Cave man would be proud of us.

Now, if only we had more dedicated road courses to drive them on. I would love to get me a road rocket -until I think about how useless it would be on the street. It would stress me out to have all that power and not be able to use it (legally). ... Instead, I settle for a Mazda 3 with 187 HP that I can safely zing around in and pull off a few cheap thrills once in a while -and still average 35 MPG.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Cujet
Also heavy cars like the Tesla Model S can put down more HP with no problem.

Well yea. AWD.

Right, did you see the endurance race where Tesla came in 1-2-3 ?

My 13 GT500 has 662, it is the only car I have EVER owned (I'm 50) that I have left completely stock, it even has the FoMoCo paper air filter in it still (changed but went back with factory filter). There was a time in my life when I never imagined that I would say a vehicle has enough power...but I have never put my foot in it an washed for 20 more horses. New one makes 6 less LbFt of torque than the 13/14s did in case you were wondering.

My Wife drives her as much as me, amazing engineering that Ford can make that car to be either literally a grocery getter or a race car. Defeating the nanny features annoys me sometimes but I understand why they are active by default.

With the CF package and dealer adjusted market value added on, these will initially be 100K cars. Window sticker from my 13 is 67,500. It could have cost 3K more if it had the track pack, but it is a convertible so that wasn't an option for them. It was possible to sticker one out back in 13 to almost 72K, then add whatever the dealer wanted and you could have been at 85K 6 years ago...so yeah, an optioned out one of these will be 100K, at least to start with.

She gets 27MPG at 75 on the interstate.

Originally Posted by thastinger
My 13 GT500 has 662, it is the only car I have EVER owned (I'm 50) that I have left completely stock, it even has the FoMoCo paper air filter in it still (changed but went back with factory filter). There was a time in my life when I never imagined that I would say a vehicle has enough power...but I have never put my foot in it an washed for 20 more horses. New one makes 6 less LbFt of torque than the 13/14s did in case you were wondering.

My Wife drives her as much as me, amazing engineering that Ford can make that car to be either literally a grocery getter or a race car. Defeating the nanny features annoys me sometimes but I understand why they are active by default.

With the CF package and dealer adjusted market value added on, these will initially be 100K cars. Window sticker from my 13 is 67,500. It could have cost 3K more if it had the track pack, but it is a convertible so that wasn't an option for them. It was possible to sticker one out back in 13 to almost 72K, then add whatever the dealer wanted and you could have been at 85K 6 years ago...so yeah, an optioned out one of these will be 100K, at least to start with.

She gets 27MPG at 75 on the interstate.

If you want to add more power, you should have sacked up and just bought a faster vehicle. My .02. You're doing it right.

My 2014 Mustang GT has plenty of power for me and I have no desire to have any more. It has more than enough to get you in trouble quick.

Looks like the prices are out now and you can option one out to 105K....if you can find an SVT dealer with a "golden ticket"..which is what it takes to order the CF package. Seems 25K ADM is the going rate, some have found better, at least one report of someone paying 100K above sticker for the golden ticket cars.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
As awesome of a car as I think this is, the new C8 announcement sure took a lot of wind out of Ford's sails.

Pony up … Company man would look good in this color

2FE82E98-6AC4-4C9E-B158-362CDB9897F4.jpeg

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
As awesome of a car as I think this is, the new C8 announcement sure took a lot of wind out of Ford's sails.

Pony up … Company man would look good in this color

Haha, the '14 is paid off and I have a money pit of a 95 Mustang to finish into a track car. Although I am in the market for a Super Duty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back