2017 Silverado Front Bumper & Skid Plate??

I'm out West with my truck & while out on the prairie caught a hidden rock under the engine area. I was going slow & while backing off the front plastic(useless) bumper/air dam came off. I didn't look closely, seems almost undamaged, besides getting torn off.

I was thinking, instead of putting this plastic back on, what is the procedure to track and install a REAL bumper? I'm not even talking a massive ‘cow-catcher' type, just some midlin aftermarket front bumper.

While looking, my plastic skid plate got torn some. I think a metal one would be nice too, lower priority.

Just asking, I'll snoop around the web some, maybe a local SE WI shop does the bumper sort of thing?

My 2015 Silverado 1500 earns a living on rutted logging roads almost daily (forestry work). My air dam was removed and in a dumpster within the first hour I owned the truck... It wouldn't have lasted a week without being mangled. My truck looks completely normal without it (just a couple inches of extra clearance), although yours might be a little different since they changed the bumper shape in 2016 or 17. If/when my bumper ever gets damaged I'll upgrade to a Ranch Hand - I've seen a few up close and they look pretty solid.

A little known fact about this generation of GM is that all the 1/2 tons come with plastic "skid plates" for keeping water out of the engine compartment while splashing around. This includes the Z71's which historically came with true steel plates until 2014. However, steel plates are available as a dealer installed option (I suspect few salespeople know this) and I ordered my kit right at the parts counter for $266 and had them the next day - they replace all the plastic pieces up front and include one for the transfer case. I installed all three plates in about 20 minutes. I don't recall the part number but I believe it's called an "under body shield kit," just make sure you specify V6 or V8 otherwise the oil filter hole might be in the wrong place. Mine is officially battle tested... I've bounced off more than a few stumps and bottomed it out in deep ruts many times. I wouldn't recommend aftermarket unless you can find something cheaper.

Thanks, looking at this bumper currently. I'm home now & will look closer.

4FECD554-EB75-4093-B098-EED702F54AE3.png

Just an update; I could spend more time looking & evaluating. Yes, it's my ‘air dam', not really a bumper problem. The actual bumper is fine, though weak it may be.

I attached my actual license plate holder to the bumper, technically 2 plates required in WI. I removed that lower, center metal bracket, behind the air dam. I also ordered the metal, GM skid plate, eBay seller, about $238 or so shipped.

My plastic skid plate is all buggered up & hanging. I tied off some electrical wires, I should be fine once my new skid plate is on. I didn't want to spend the $630+ on a bumper anyway. Truth be known, my truck spends most of it's time on good roads.

One thing folks need to look at - is aftermarket bumpers can effect collision protection - they alter the crush zone and can impact the SRS trigger sensor

Please send pictures when done - I own a 2018 and don't like that big sand plow in the front ...

Back