Evinrude oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those have special injection. If Evinrude specifies TCW3 as OK, then you can run it. However, if you have a warranty expect problems. That motor cost how much?. And you want to cheap out on the oil? False economy in my book.

Rod

Snowmobile and marine/watercraft 2-strokes are two engine class/areas I would never deviate than from what is recommended by the manufacturer.

It's a cheap "insurance policy" that you buy to keep internals operating properly.

I don't want to cheap out. Just wanting to see what people are using. It is expensive oil. I think we have burnt 4-5 gallons of oil this month alone.....

I have a 1965 Evinrude 6 HP I've always used Evinrude oil in. I can't tell you how good that motor still runs and it trolls better than some of the guys on BITOG!

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I have a 1965 Evinrude 6 HP I've always used Evinrude oil in. I can't tell you how good that motor still runs and it trolls better than some of the guys on BITOG!

Hey! That was pretty good!

Run the recommended oil...

The Evinrude HO series is one of the most sophisticated and probably one of the last series of large two stroke outboards our there. If it's just a TCW3, and since your are in Canada, I would suggest you use this when it is on sale at Cambodian Tire.

IMG_9607.jpg

Last edited:
I used to have an Evinrude 70 hp 2 stroke and a 6 hp Evinrude kicker on my old Lund Tyee. I would use anything that had TCW3 on the label. I never had any problems at all. I now am running four stroke outboards on my 2007 Lund Tyee Grand Sport. I am not an expert on the newer 2 strokes but I wouldn't pay the big price for the Evinrude branded oil. A fishing buddy of mine has a Mercury 2003 that is a two stroke and he doesn't use the original Mercury oil because it's too expensive.

Newer Evinrude are complex engines. I would use the OEM branded oil they recommend. I have a 1986 Johnson 90 hp that is a relatively simple motor and runs like a top, it has seen OEM oil its whole life. I have had it a year but my parents bought it used when it was a year old.

4 or 5 gallons a month? That is a lot. How much do you ride around? My parents replaced the above mentioned boat with a new fishing boat with a 75 hp Evinrude with EFI and that thing uses about half the oil as the 90 hp.

check in with the Evinrude owners forum, it seems the Gen 1 has two oil settings. at 50:1 you can use any TWC approved oil but at 100:1 you need the XD100. All the Gen2 engines use the XD100 oil.

The owners manual says you can have it programmed to only burn XD100. I might do that.

The boat is getting used lots. My wife burnt $180 in gas in one day.

I looked at the E-tecs a few years back and am sure you will like it. At that time I thought the HO engines were to run XD50 and not XD100. At the time I think it was explained to me that 2x volume of XD50 was better for extreme conditions than 1/2 volume of XD100.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back