PL14612 cut open, ~5100 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in January saw topic filter on slickdeals FP, $2.75 with coupon on Amazon and free shipping. The shorty the spec size for most Nissans including 17 Rogue I now help maintain. For the price and this application has a decent post use anecdotal record grabbed one. It replaced the Gonher oem with adbv defect I posted here. This one run three months.

Overall satisfied with results and ROI, no media tears. Adbv is very high quality and pliable on removal. After draining base down for awhile, substantial extra oil drain with opening a couple inlet holes. Unlike the Gonher no start up tick with this filter. Lots of media area tight pleating, and trying to cut media from potting with utility knife, media substantial in strength. If I had one minor complaint, don't like the spacing on the second from metal seam pleat on one side. It's not because there's a lack of media, plenty of that. Like to see some of it used to make the seam area a tad tighter on one side on this one. Louvers are fine. I'd add, I would not purchase the topic P1 at regular price ~$8.50

Replaced with a Napa Gold 1356 which I've had for quite awhile and Havoline Pro DS 5w20 I got at O'R on closeout awhile back, ~$10/jug. The 1356 used to be the spec filter for Honda before the changed the baseplate for the newer 7356. As an aside, oddly Nissan doesn't spec 5w20, only 0w20 or 5w30. Obviously, not concerned about it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Looks good Jack
smile.gif

We use 5w30 in the few nissans that spec' it
And Service Pro 0w20 in everything spec'ing 0w20 except GM stuff that get AC DELCO DEXOS 1 GEN 2 stuff

Yep, wicked with used shop towel. Makes seeing pleat potting area clearer as well as dissection process cleaner. I'd post media pleat close up but nothing to see inside pleats.

As for 5w20, there's no logical reason it's not in the OM. To be specific, OM says 0w20 or 5w30 conventional.
crazy2.gif
The Rogue has seen, 0w20, 5w30 (dealer) and now 5w20, all synthetic. Normally let synthetic go to ~6k miles, under warranty 5k miles a reasonable oci.

Looks pretty good, but the wide pleats look a bit stresses/deformed from oil flow - overall, did the job. Thanks for the C&P.

It looks great actually. The media is a soft synthetic material so it's fine to be wavy. Pleats look solidly potted into the endcaps.

The PureOne doesn't use synthetic media. In the tearing media hay days, the media in the PureOne was pretty brittle, and one contributing factor to its ease of tearing with side pressure on the pleats.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Looks good Jack
smile.gif

We use 5w30 in the few nissans that spec' it
And Service Pro 0w20 in everything spec'ing 0w20 except GM stuff that get AC DELCO DEXOS 1 GEN 2 stuff

I agree it looks good....

And I agree that it strange Nissan now specs a conventional 5w30 along with a 0w20... Odd indeed.

To clarify, the old yellow PureOne didn't use any synthetic material in the media. But the new line shows the Purolator One to have "re-engineered" media that is a synthetic blend. Maybe that was a change Purolator made to help prevent media failures.

Originally Posted by bbhero
….I agree it looks good....

And I agree that it strange Nissan now specs a conventional 5w30 along with a 0w20... Odd indeed.
Yeah, it doesn't make much sense. Link shows the exact wording for the recommendation. If like Honda it said 0w20 with no listed alternative, then I could at least understand no 5w20 being OM listed. Going from 0w20 to 5w30 with no 5w20 being OM listed....using "odd" to describe it fits.
http://www.nirogue.com/recommended_fluids_lubricants_and_capacities-268.html

As for topic pleating appearance, ime looking back at the PL14160 and BD+3323 previous anecdotes posted, with exception of noted second pleat formation (second pic, left side metal crimp), result appearance consistent with those no issues results. Imo, after dissection I don't think oil pressure changed the pleat shape, if so not much. I'd just prefer to see consecutive pleats like those on the right of the metal crimp in second pic.

Posted pic of louvers with light because looking down centertube alone, these not the most open appearance ever posted here. However closer inspection shows plenty of opening. Below another louver pic without light.

[Linked Image]

Yeah I have a Carquest blue on my Nissan Altima VQ right now.... The 84356 one...

Amazingly it is only $8.09 vs $12.99 for the Carquest blue 85358.... I got the 84356 one with the Carquest high mileage full synthetic oil deal at $26.99. I figured it kinda saves the store a bit of money on their bottom line. And I have zero clearance issues with the one inch longer filter.

^^^I don't think I've seen or read here of a Nissan vehicle that can't easily fit the longer 7317 application where the shorty 6607 is spec. Normally always go with the longer filter, price here was incentive to run the shorty this time.

Sayjac,

Very good C&P. The filter did it's job without failure.

I especially liked how you dried out the media so we could see if there was a tear or not and how you preserved the evidence.

Thanks for the C&P!!!
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back