Steering Rack Quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hola,

I have a 2006 S60 Volvo turbo that needs a new steering rack. I have the none variable assist version and need some help with choosing a vendor. The OEM Volvo is close to 1,100 way too much for my pocket.

I have the 3 options so far:
1. Jorgen Automotive group, they actually rebuilt the racks in house
2. Napa Premium
3. Other options, not sure!!

Thanks for all replies

Have you browsed the Swedespeed or Matthews Volvo forums? I've found lots of good info there. (believe me, I've done quite a bit of my own wrenching on the s70 in my sig to get it to 267k...)

I had to replace the rack in my 06 TSX back in 2012. I wanted quality, without the Acura pricetag!

I ended up finding carsteering.com and liked what I saw. Their reviews on other forums was good, so I gave them a shot. The car had 125k on it when I made the repair, and now has 260k+, so the new rack has outlasted the original.

Here's the one for your car...
https://www.carsteering.com/buynow/2006/Volvo/S60/Rack_and_Pinion/80-01621_R?crid=2420728

My supplier shows a reman TRW rack with inner tie rods (but w/o outers) for about $850.

If Jorgen is able to get your a steering rack, they are supposed to be excellent. Same with maval, but Maval does not show availability.

Last edited:
I got one for the Buick and one for the WS6 from Rack Doctor. Both were excellent. The Trans Am had a leak from sitting way too much.

I paid $164 for the Trans Am and 200 ish for the Regal.

Thanks for all the great replies, car steering does not have one available. The rack doctor seems very reasonable so it might be this one or Jorgen.

Thanks

I followed Trav's advice last year when replacing the rack in my 93 Toyota Camry that had 220K on it and purchased a rack for Jorgen. Great customer service, quality parts, and shipping the core back was a breeze.

I'd buy local if possible. Beware of places with a large core charge. If 6 months later it takes a dump, they will refund your money once you return the defective rack, but when you want to buy another one or from someone else, you won't have a core to give and will be out another $100+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back