Iron Butt Rally 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
"We host several rides, the most notable being the 11-day, 11,000+ mile Iron Butt Rally"

11,000 miles in 11 days on a motorcycle? Not in a year of Sundays.

I bought my '79 Shovelhead off a seller on Ebay in Seattle and drove it back to Waco in 2003.
I took the "scenic route" visiting friends in Idaho, Wyoming, family in Colorado, and a few in Kansas & Oklahoma.
All told was 2,682 miles over 5 days. It's a great memory now - but I wouldn't do it again anytime soon.

My friend IRON MIKE rode in a few Iron Butt runs , he has passed on 3 years ago and i now have is certificates of his accomplishments of the run.

Some of you oldtimers (I'm 73 years young myself) may remember him. Mike rode a 1994 Moto Guzzi 1100i and started his run in Bridgeport Ct.
TOMB

I love to ride, and have done some 1k mile days. But 11 days of that just doesn't appeal much to me. Maybe I just need a more touring oriented bike. The wife and I went out for a little ride today, just under 200 miles of mostly scenic mountain roads. Some of those roads just opened for the season (and a few are still closed), after record snowfall.

I've ridden some 600-700 mile days going cross country over the years, but never even considered an Iron Butt ride. Especially the 11 day rally. Not my thing. But wish the best for those 100 souls who will try.........

Originally Posted by Linctex
"We host several rides, the most notable being the 11-day, 11,000+ mile Iron Butt Rally"

I bought my '79 Shovelhead off a seller on Ebay in Seattle and drove it back to Waco in 2003.
I took the "scenic route" visiting friends in Idaho, Wyoming, family in Colorado, and a few in Kansas & Oklahoma.
All told was 2,682 miles over 5 days. It's a great memory now - but I wouldn't do it again anytime soon.

The "comfort" level a shovelhead is way less than an iron butt motorcycle. Custom seats special riding suits costing several thousand dollars are common.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
Originally Posted by Linctex

The "comfort" level a shovelhead is way less than an iron butt motorcycle. Custom seats special riding suits costing several thousand dollars are common.

Yes, in many cases. But there is also a guy running his third on a Sportster Roadster. Most are sport-tourers, I recall the most common make is BMW.

The 2006 Sportster in the Iron Butt Rally turned over 250,000 miles on the first leg.

He has a blog about his rides- (will probably update for the 2019 IBR after a few good nights sleep
smile.gif
)
https://chrisridingadventures.wordpress.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back