LS Diff gear oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think NO problem. Its just a FM for the clutch pack. Everything else is the same.

But Friends don't let friends use Mobil 1 LS diff fluid.

MAybe we can hear from someone who used LS fluid in an open differential.

Again, I see no problem.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by The_Nuke
Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Any problem if you uae a diff gear lube with LS addative in a non LS diff ?

Thanks , :)

yes

No...!!!

No problems at all. I do it all the time. Not only in the Firebird in my signature(no LS/no Posi) and in my wife's previous Lexus AWD.

No problems.

As far as Mobil 1 with the LS additive?

Well, I ran it exclusively in my old, non LS, Toyota 4 Runner. Which saw off roading, Vermont winters, and is still on the road with 300,000 miles, and its original front and rear differentials, with their original seals.

So, I'm going to say that particular product works just fine in a non LS differential.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Any problem if you uae a diff gear lube with LS addative in a non LS diff ?

Thanks , :)

No issues.

Non-LS meaning an open diff, no no problems (I suspect this is what you mean). I've also run M1 - LS in multiple open diffs with no issues.

If the Non-LS is some sort of locking or torque biasing diff then there could be issues depending on the specifics. (Generally folks use "LS" as a sort of all encompassing terms, but that isn't always technically correct)

No.
Agree that friends don't let friends use M1.
I like Schaeffer.
Schaeffer
" Extreme Performance Full Synthetic can be used in heavy-duty or high performance transmissions, aftermarket 5-speed and 6-speed separate motorcycle transmissions and final drives, including standard and limited-slip differentials and shaft drive transmissions requiring the use of an hypoid type gear oil."

How could there be one??? Same ring & pinion, same seals, same axle seals. The only difference is the ring gear carrier. One has spider gears (open) and the other has clutch packs (posi).
I use RedLine gear oil.

I have used various grades of 80W90 conventional with LS additive in both 240s. (Dana 1031 axle.)

330,000 miles total between the two cars. No issues at all.

Sam

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Why are some of you saying "no"!?

Because the question asked by the OP was "Any problem using LS in a non-LS application?"

The answer is ‘no'

Originally Posted by LotI
Originally Posted by gathermewool
Why are some of you saying "no"!?

Because the question asked by the OP was "Any problem using LS in a non-LS application?"

The answer is ‘no'

I got myself confused. I guess I meant to respond to The Nuke, who replied, "yes"

Sorry about that, guys

I'm impressed. Not a single "why would you want to waste perfectly good additive?" reply to the OP.
shocked.gif

My apologies for underestimating the professionalism with which the BITOG members would respond!
blush.gif

Two things for sure ... you are not and I have used M1 75w90 for 20+ years ... trouble free and perfect shape after 50k runs that includes many times in 4WD

I've also used Mobil 1 75w/90 LS for many years in all kinds of differentials, The ONLY differentials I do not recommend use of LS fluid as a suitable replacement is........Torsen & Eaton TrueTrac torque bias differentials.

I just drained M1 75W90 out of my Tacoma's differential after 8 years/100K miles. It still looked good! Not quite like new, but SORTA like new. Very good--not black. I have no clue why people are not happy with M1. I replaced it with Valvoline SynPower 75W90 because I'd got it on sale but I would've used M1 again in a heartbeat. Both are LS gear oils and my Taco is in good shape. There was very little metal on the magnetic drain plug.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back