rare AWD comparison test of CUVs on same tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Three CUVs (Tiguan vs Tucson vs CRV) normalized to same winter tires. I wish US you tube testers would perform tests like this and not OEM tires to compare them. Impressed by Tucson as winter capable. Very long....ending is better in world conditions.

I guess the climate in the US is just too temperate during the winter for northern states to require snow tires rather than chains.

Originally Posted by madRiver
I wish US you tube testers would perform tests like this and not OEM tires to compare them.

Unfortunately, it's just not economical. Buying identical tires for 3 press vehicles would probably cost around $2,000. It would take a lot of YouTube views just to break even.

Didn't watch. I know where I live while we get snow it's not many feet at a time. AWD with decent A/S seems to work for most; nothing works great once you toss in black ice. Which is all that is left as they plow pretty quickly and salt the bejeepers out the road. So I could see any CUV working "really well" with snow tires in snow, but then again, toss decent snows into the mix and I bet the rear tires aren't doing much as long as you don't hammer down on it (aka "drive like you should be" when in snow).

Could probably recoup much of the cost by selling the other tires.

Or, if they were already in need of replacement, it's a cost that one would face already...

Originally Posted by glock19
I wish US you tube testers would perform tests like this and not OEM tires to compare them.

Unfortunately, it's just not economical. Buying identical tires for 3 press vehicles would probably cost around $2,000. It would take a lot of YouTube views just to break even.

The tires would be comped for sure. The North American automotive media are just a group of shills, they would never hold a shootout because they would have to pick a winner. The brands that lost would never make their vehicles available to the media outlet to test again.

"nothing works great once you toss in black ice"

I guarantee that Blizzaks or X-Ice's will make a very noticeable difference.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by supton
Didn't watch. I know where I live while we get snow it's not many feet at a time. AWD with decent A/S seems to work for most; nothing works great once you toss in black ice. Which is all that is left as they plow pretty quickly and salt the bejeepers out the road. So I could see any CUV working "really well" with snow tires in snow, but then again, toss decent snows into the mix and I bet the rear tires aren't doing much as long as you don't hammer down on it (aka "drive like you should be" when in snow).

How many feet of snow s on the road is irrelevant.
And, your focus is on moving forward, which is OK. Thing is, no one died from not moving forward fast enough. Many people died from not stopping fast enough, and that is where HUGE difference is, distance wise, and control wise.

Colorado tried few years back after huge pile up on I70 Eastbound, on descent to Denver.
Nothing to do with economy:
1. Rental companies lobbied against it.
2. Immediately invoked "freedom" clause and right of people to be stupid.

Originally Posted by edyvw

And, your focus is on moving forward, which is OK. Thing is, no one died from not moving forward fast enough. Many people died from not stopping fast enough, and that is where HUGE difference is, distance wise, and control wise.

Not disagreeing. I run snows on most of my vehicles in winter, at least the ones that will get driven in snow. But. Many people are just fine with a/s in winter where I live. Roads are scraped quickly and salted to an inch of any overpasses's life, and thus AWD is only used a couple times of years. [YMMV if you're essential personal and have to drive during the worst of the storm.]

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
I guess the climate in the US is just too temperate during the winter for northern states to require snow tires rather than chains.
Not when you have to factor in the ice storms we seem to get a couple times a year here, then winter tires are worth their weight in GOLD! Unless you're driving a Class 5 or larger truck at 35 MPH or less! Atlanta seems to have even more ice storm trouble than we do, must be a driving experience issue.

Not disagreeing. I run snows on most of my vehicles in winter, at least the ones that will get driven in snow. But. Many people are just fine with a/s in winter where I live. Roads are scraped quickly and salted to an inch of any overpasses's life, and thus AWD is only used a couple times of years. [YMMV if you're essential personal and have to drive during the worst of the storm.]

Roads are scrapped here too, and we have actually much less snow in the front range than New England as sun gets out fast and just melts stuff. However, I cannot tell you how many times I had to brake on green light bcs people could not stop on red light as they just slid through.
In the end you actually need snow tires only once, that time when things get really, really close. At that point, one foot makes a difference.
This "bombgenesis" we had in March proved that regardless what drivetrain people have, how capable it is, nothing replaces snow tires in winter.

Colorado tried few years back after huge pile up on I70 Eastbound, on descent to Denver.
Nothing to do with economy:
1. Rental companies lobbied against it.
2. Immediately invoked "freedom" clause and right of people to be stupid.

Up in NH where my ski place is, people don't even have to have insurance to drive.
So, somebody with a $100 car and nothing to lose can crash into you, destroy your vehicle, and maybe even injure or kill your family members, and paying for it is all on you and your own insurance.
You could try suing them, but it's pretty likely they have no assets if they don't buy insurance.
Maybe they'll go to jail, but what good does that do you?

Everybody loves freedom until somebody else hurts them by exercising their own freedom.

Three CUVs (Tiguan vs Tucson vs CRV) normalized to same winter tires. I wish US you tube testers would perform tests like this and not OEM tires to compare them. Impressed by Tucson as winter capable. Very long....ending is better in world conditions.

Mazda does.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Mazda does.

LOL. I drove over much worse conditions and steeper grade with Tiguan, and front would never slide like that. Obviosly Mazda CX-5 is not that fast transfering torque between front wheels and rear wheels.
By the way, any of those vehicles in video would do that hill easily.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back