New frontier 4.0 V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked it up today. I plan on letting the dealer do the first 3 oil changes at 5k miles increments.I may just stay with them
or do it myself. I need to find out what oil they use. They say after my free one oil changes are $32.99. I will stay with the 5/30 under warranty
but will switch over to a 10/30 after. Looks like the specs are pretty easy at SN. As a side note I just hate no auto trans. check stick.

Sounds good.
My dealer used bulk 5W30 conventional for the free-bees. I use ST or QSUD 5W30 for the summer & ST or QSUD 0W20 in winter.

Last edited:
Had an old friend of mine who ran his 2010 Frontier exclusively on Mag1 Conventional 5w30 and a Wix filter for 5k ocis. He still drives it, when I left the Army in 2016, he was approaching the 150,000mi mark with no ill effects and he made regular trips in it from Texas to home in Maine and back during both summer and winter time leave.

Those trucks are pretty bulletproof from what I hear talking with people who own and drive them.

I say, reach for the best cheap conventional SN (PYB, QSGB, Castrol, Chevron, etc) 5w30 oil you can find and put on whatever filter brand suits your flavor. That truck is going to go for a long time for you.

If you truly think you need a synthetic or a blend? well then go for it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by passgas55
Picked it up today. I plan on letting the dealer do the first 3 oil changes at 5k miles increments.I may just stay with them
or do it myself. I need to find out what oil they use. They say after my free one oil changes are $32.99. I will stay with the 5/30 under warranty
but will switch over to a 10/30 after. Looks like the specs are pretty easy at SN. As a side note I just hate no auto trans. check stick.

They got rid of the tranny dip stick?
crazy2.gif
mad.gif

Our Frontier gets nothing but SuperTech 10w30 every 5k now.

Those are great trucks. My neighbor runs a side business doing landscaping. Uses the Frontier to pull trailer. I did the first oil change for him....22K on the odometer. So, he literally beats it to death (2017 Frontier.) Now he changes around the 10K mark when I bug him about it. Has 70K on it now. Still runs fine.

I posted a thread about that first oil change.

I will stay with the 5/30 under warranty
but will switch over to a 10/30 after.

Why? Do you see some advantage in switching from 5/ to 10/ ?

I traded in my 2010 late last year. Great engine that really didn't care what oil I ran in it. Mine always had a 5W-30 either conventional or synthetic. Mine seemed to be pickier about the oil filter (startup noise) than anything else. The OEM Nissan filter or a Fram TG7317 seemed to be the quietest startup. Had over 130,000 miles and didn't burn a drop of oil between changes.

Originally Posted by RTexasF
I will stay with the 5/30 under warranty
but will switch over to a 10/30 after.

Why? Do you see some advantage in switching from 5/ to 10/ ?

He can also use 0/

I've wondered if 5W-30 is the best choice for warm climates? If it never gets much below freezing your engine won't see the benefit of better flow and maybe there is more viscosity stability over time with a narrower range.

I'm glad that you, presumably, are happy with your new vehicle. And please realize that I'm about to be somewhat critical of your post, so I will take the time to offer my apology up front for all to see; I am sorry if this comes off as rude. It is not my intention to attack you personally, but these kinds of posts struggle to gain meaningful traction. Did you actually have a question or comment about oil that would manifest into intelligent conversation about PCMO?
21.gif

Let's recap ...
You may or may not choose to do your own maintenance.
You need to find out what oil the dealer is going to use; you admit you'll have to ask them.
You will have to pay for OFCIs after the three free rides are over.
You'll risk it all by eschewing a 5w-30 for a 10w-30, several years down the road after warranty expires, in a southern climate (South Los Angeles? South Louisiana? doesn't matter ...)

Truly, I'm glad that you are in a position to be able to afford a new vehicle; good for you. I presume you didn't steal the money, and therefore earned the right to make a choice that satiates your desires; capitalism at work!
thumbsup2.gif

But sir, do you really need help with these minor life decisions? Isn't this why the world has FB and/or IG?

Last edited:
great truck at a decent price IMO as i have an 11 with a 6 spd manual! best value out there with no issues with direct injection because its still port injected. yes i feel 10-30 is better in warmer climates + thats my choice in PA, its good to zero + even being fake synthetic group III as most are may be be even ok below that! 4.0 is a great torquey engine delivering decent mpg's, i average 19 after changing to all redline drivetrain lubes, with a lot of shorter trips + live in a hilly-mountainous area

Originally Posted by dnewton3

But sir, do you really need help with these minor life decisions? Isn't this why the world has FB and/or IG?

Being a bro I mean no disrespect. But I cannot stand all the bro-information passed around on FB and IG. I belong to a few specific tuning groups for the ecoboost and some of the stuff said makes me want to delete everything.

At least on BITOG, you get some run around, but mostly really sound knowledge and opinions who actually have information on said topic and know what they are saying *mileage may vary* lol

Originally Posted by Env1ous
Originally Posted by dnewton3

Being a bro I mean no disrespect. But I cannot stand all the bro-information passed around on FB and IG. I belong to a few specific tuning groups for the ecoboost and some of the stuff said makes me want to delete everything.

At least on BITOG, you get some run around, but mostly really sound knowledge and opinions who actually have information on said topic and know what they are saying *mileage may vary* lol

This is the PCMO forum; passenger car motor oil. Thread conversations should focus on actual motor oil topics; not thinly veiled ruses about life swirling around oneself. This ins't the "hey I got a new vehicle and want to blabber about it" forum. In fact, we don't have a specific forum for that. Stuff that belongs on (what I like to call) FarceBook and InstaGarbage should stay there, not here.

I have two Nissans with the VQ40 V6 engine in them. First two oil changes at the dealer then I started doing them with Mobil 1 10w-30 Synthetic every 5-6k miles. Used a Nissan or Fram TG filter.

On m Pathfinder, I had to change leaky valve cover gaskets at 185k and the engine looked spotless.

Glad someone decided to mention what "IG" stood for. I was beginning to wonder what the Inspector General had to do with oil?...‚

Fwiw, I don't see the need to chastise anyone for what was probably an honest mistake.. Just move the thread to one of the "general" groups stating the reason.

Last edited:

There is a trans dipstick on the passenger side. It's bolted down with a 10mm bolt.

I am on my third Frontier. As you may or may not be aware, they have a rattle when starting from an overnight sit. My 2002, 2015, and current 2016 all have it. I have found that OEM filters and Castrol Magnatec or Havoline Pro DS produce the quietest start up.
Enjoy the truck, it will serve you well for a long time!

Great little trucks. I have a 2018 Pro-4X. At the moment it has Rotella Gas Truck & SUV 5w-30 in it but any oil will do the job. These engines don't seem to be real particular. I use a synthetic because I do haul a small travel trailer at times and spend a lot of time off road. Earlier I posted a UOA for mine using PP 5w-30.

Interestingly enough, the Mexican version of the maintenance manual viscosity chart recommends any oil viscosity from 5w-30 to 20w-50 and everything in between.

As mentioned earlier there is a tranny dip stick, just not real obvious and held down with a 10mm bolt.

Enjoy your truck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tojo1968
I am on my third Frontier. As you may or may not be aware, they have a rattle when starting from an overnight sit. My 2002, 2015, and current 2016 all have it. I have found that OEM filters and Castrol Magnatec or Havoline Pro DS produce the quietest start up.
Enjoy the truck, it will serve you well for a long time!

Premium Guard XL Oil Filter link

Quiet cold-start oil filter for your Nissan...... $3.68 @ Rock Auto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back