What's your avg speed/ OCI in terms of hours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by BlakeB
Originally Posted by TiredTrucker
My work truck is now at 880154 miles with 18712 hours. That would put me at an average of 47 mph. It gets roughly 22,500 mile / 450 hr oil changes.

Is that going by the OLM or is it just a fixed maintenance schedule that you keep the truck on? What kind of vehicle is this, do you do any towing? With a 47 Mph average, you certainly don't sit around and idle much.

No OLM on the vehicle. Just a fixed maintenance schedule. And even then, the schedule it is on is 50% longer than the OEM recommendation. Has been on that schedule from the 1st oil change at 10K miles.

Last edited:
Clearly what you're doing is working. Good work, you're closing in on 1 million miles, that's pretty impressive for any vehicle.

Originally Posted by Shata
I have lml but I dont really have much data for you honestly. I change mine every 6k although mine gets alot of hrs from city traffic 6k takes me half year with daily work total of 30 miles 1 hour run time plus anything else I do with truck on daily. I haven't ran oil analysis cause engine is still so new so I see it pointless. I do run conventional oil and filter mags on everything, def only out of pumps.

I saw in your sig that you have a fuel filter setup? What kind of fuel filter setup do you have? Did you do a lift pump? I've been warned by several people about CP4 failures, it's not super common but it does happen enough on the LML's that people talk about it. A local diesel shop suggested a CP3 swap, but since it's still under warranty I/we aren't not ready to go that route just yet. He suggested that I have the inlet valve changed out with one that has a finer screen to help save the injectors if the injection pump does ever fly apart. It's about a $10,000 failure if it happens outside of warranty. Exergy System Saver

Exergy System saver install (Forum Link)
I need to take it in soon and get the recall done on the dual fuel tanks and the brake pedal recall. I've actually had the fuel tank issue happen a few times, It did run out of fuel in the front tank once. Now if the MIL pops up (and the fuel gauge stops working), I clear the code (P2636) and fill up with fuel and everything resumes working fine until it does it again. GM Brake Pedal Recall

43895824-CE91-4B68-82C1-DC77E07C6A1C.jpeg

82F3A3D2-3BD4-45AA-A5CE-9168797CE064.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by TiredTrucker
My work truck is now at 880154 miles with 18712 hours. That would put me at an average of 47 mph. It gets roughly 22,500 mile / 450 hr oil changes.

You must not idle much. One of the trucks I drive part time is a Cummins isx with over 30,000 hours and 825,000 miles.

‘04 CTD with the triple nickel. Dead stock. Man trans. 2WD.

Passed 200k while back at 5,000-hours.

Rotella T6 & a Baldwin when I get around to it or annually.

Fuel has averaged 19-mpg all miles; annually (50/50 city/country).

One brake job. Recently installed third tire set.

Treat'em right.

Originally Posted by TheTanSedan
‘04 CTD with the triple nickel. Dead stock. Man trans. 2WD.

Passed 200k while back at 5,000-hours.

Rotella T6 & a Baldwin when I get around to it or annually.

Fuel has averaged 19-mpg all miles; annually (50/50 city/country).

One brake job. Recently installed third tire set.

Treat'em right.

I'd be in my glory averaging those speeds.

Some of the 2019 L5P Duramax's have been having issues with the OLM counting down too quickly. GM released this:
7,500 miles, 300 Engine hours, or once per year.

C427B1A1-7159-4BF2-B41B-59CC71473C27.png

As recently posted in the diesel UOA section, my latest run for my ISB6.7. 24,585km, 100 idle hours and 331 drive hours. Oil tested great and wear metals still dropping from break in.

Originally Posted by Shata
I have lml but I dont really have much data for you honestly. I change mine every 6k although mine gets alot of hrs from city traffic 6k takes me half year with daily work total of 30 miles 1 hour run time plus anything else I do with truck on daily. I haven't ran oil analysis cause engine is still so new so I see it pointless. I do run conventional oil and filter mags on everything, def only out of pumps.

I saw in your sig that you have a fuel filter setup? What kind of fuel filter setup do you have? Did you do a lift pump? I've been warned by several people about CP4 failures, it's not super common but it does happen enough on the LML's that people talk about it. A local diesel shop suggested a CP3 swap, but since it's still under warranty I/we aren't not ready to go that route just yet. He suggested that I have the inlet valve changed out with one that has a finer screen to help save the injectors if the injection pump does ever fly apart. It's about a $10,000 failure if it happens outside of warranty. Exergy System Saver

Exergy System saver install (Forum Link)
I need to take it in soon and get the recall done on the dual fuel tanks and the brake pedal recall. I've actually had the fuel tank issue happen a few times, It did run out of fuel in the front tank once. Now if the MIL pops up (and the fuel gauge stops working), I clear the code (P2636) and fill up with fuel and everything resumes working fine until it does it again. GM Brake Pedal Recall

My truck is all stock expect for 50 gallon tank in the bed that gravity feeds the filler neck with electric valve to open and close it while driving. People make cp4 failures seem more common then they really are and most people that have them are tuned or beat on their truck. My opinion its from High rpm operations because if you look at cp4 pump construction and how it works its piston thats spring loaded running on follower bearing on a cam... If that piston and follower spin 180 degrees or the spring pressure weakens and it turns thats where the failure happens. Like you said im not touching thing on my truck even after warranty ill deal with issue should it happen I highly doubt it will because I dont beat on my truck or have tuner on it.

A little update on the 2016 LML, this last oil change was the most hours this truck has gone between oil changes. The OLM was ran down to 0% and then the truck was driven for about a week before I had a chance to change the oil. GM says to change the oil within 600 miles of the "Change Engine Oil Soon" message coming on, the truck wasn't driven much after the OLM hit 0%. I also drained the transmission and changed the spin-on Allison filter and cleaned the magnet. I also changed the transfer case fluid while I was under there.
[Linked Image]

I just changed the transfer case fluid on my dad's 2016 Chevrolet 3500HD Duramax (LML) with 45,922 miles and 3,149.9 engine hours. The 4wd is used off-road regularly and the truck does often tow fairly heavy, sometimes in 4x4 when it's not on pavement. This was the first fluid change, the fluid was starting to get a little dark/brown colored but still looked decent. I refilled the transfer case with Starfire full synthetic Dexron VI ATF. The funnel I used was the funnel that came with a Generac iX2000 generator, it was perfect for refilling the TC. Before I thought of the funnel I tried screwing a gear oil cap onto the ATF bottle and putting a piece of 3/8 ID hose on the end of it, it worked but not great. There are more pics and a couple videos in the linked album: Duramax transfer case fluid change
[Linked Image]

2016 Chevrolet 3500HD LML Duramax w/Allison 1000
45,922 miles and 3,149.9 engine hours

Out: Factory fill Dexron VI
In: 7.4 qts Starfire full synthetic Dexron VI + new Allison spin-on filter (29539579) and cleaned magnet.

The factory fill dex 6 looked great, slightly off color from the new fluid but still looked and smelled great. This was the second filter change/magnet clean of the spin-on Allison filter. The first spin-on filter change was at 31,072 miles with 2,073.9 engine hours on the truck.

Allison 1000 fluid/ spin-on filter change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back