Top 5 reliable, affordable car makers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious what brands people associate with reliable yet also affordable cars. I'm talking about pedestrian cars and trucks that sell for $30k and under with real world pricing.

I have no idea how accurate my own biases on the issue are except to say that I have never owned a bad Toyota and I have never owned a modern GM that didn't have issues. When I think "dependable" I think of these:

Toyota
Honda
Mazda
Volvo (pre Ford)
Nissan (pre Renault)

Am I wrong? Two of my five don't even exist anymore. Who am I overlooking? Who are the go-to brands for a dependable and durable vehicle?

Toyota
Honda
(This is where it gets iffy...)
Subaru (head gaskets aside)
Ford (yes Ford, among domestics the Fusion and
F150's can compete with the foreign competition
Mazda

GM and Chrysler have always treated my family well.

The worst cars we've had were a 2001 TL and 2005 Maxima, the only vehicles to have major powertrain failure (transmissions with each resulting in a $4k repair tab). No other GM or Chrysler has had a repair tab near that amount. Both vehicles also had nagging repairs as well that wouldn't have listed them on any list of reliable car makers to that point.

Buy what you like and roll the dice.

VW
Dodge
Chrysler
Fiat
Mitsubishi
crackmeup2.gif

All jokes aside I'd say Toyota, Honda, and Hyundai. All others, while they might be pretty good, I wouldn't put them in the same list.

The Kia Soul was rated one of the 10 most reliable cars and starts under 17K (2020's just over 17k). Hyundai/Kia has come a long way since hitting our shores in the '90's, and remain some of the lowest priced offering with one of the best warranties, 10 yr/100k miles.

Originally Posted by dishdude
Buy what you like and roll the dice.

This.

Other than my Durango, Dodge's and Chrysler's have always treated my family and I very well. Bought into the "Toyota's are indestructible" hype once and it left us stranded. Immediately replaced it with a Caliber that served me great till we need something bigger. Now it's serving my brother in law as faithfully as it did me.

Originally Posted by csandste
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Something I've noticed. I've never seen a broken down Hyundai or Kia on the side of the road.

Had four Kia's and a Hyundai. Never any trouble. However pics of burning engines can be disconcerting. When they blow they do so spectacularly.

Yeah … they are trying to get out in front with 500k recalls … but that means owners need to do their part and get them checked ...

Originally Posted by LubeFiner
... Hyundai/Kia has come a long way since hitting our shores in the '90's, ...
Hyundai hit US shores in the 1980s.

Originally Posted by CR94
... Hyundai/Kia has come a long way since hitting our shores in the '90's, ...
Hyundai hit US shores in the 1980s.

One of their airlines did that in 2013 … famous report of the pilots names followed.

about all I can add is when I go to the local u pull it yard I see very few Hondas, even less Toyotas but plenty of the others

Whew, asking for 5? I can only come up with 2 when I consider "reliable" in the long term.

Toyota and Honda. Probably, the older the better.

You could throw in a Japan made Mazda and Lexus in the older category.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Just Toyota and Hyundai as blanket statement.

Otherwise it seems like other makers have stars and losers in lineup.

Toyota sludgers and oil burners.

Honda diluters and bum transmissions.

EVERY maker has turds.

The Kia Soul was rated one of the 10 most reliable cars and starts under 17K (2020's just over 17k). Hyundai/Kia has come a long way since hitting our shores in the '90's, and remain some of the lowest priced offering with one of the best warranties, 10 yr/100k miles.

Love my 17 but HyunKia may have traded engine troubles for transmission with their new CVT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back