Why does Amsoil market the way it does?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Shannow
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
RP have a few Jewels in their lineup of mediocre products...back when they had a comparative data sheet, this was obvious.
I'm not disputing that it's a quality oil but how much better is it than the other name-brand oils or even Supertech ? And even if better, is it just overkill better ? Then there's the higher cost....

Actually, what I meant was that hen they had their comparative data sheet available, the mojority of it looked pretty ho hum...bar a couple of jewels...nothing wrong with supertech...and I wouldn't have paid the RP penalty for (particularly e.g.) the 5W30

Correct me if I am wrong, but, presently, is most or all Royal Purple motor oil API SN now, and their last redeeming motor oil perhaps their API SL 0W-40, containing the words Synerlec? If API SN, I would agree it probably is formulated most the same as everything else to get that API SN rating and nothing special other than the color..

Originally Posted by talest
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
RP have a few Jewels in their lineup of mediocre products...back when they had a comparative data sheet, this was obvious.
I'm not disputing that it's a quality oil but how much better is it than the other name-brand oils or even Supertech ? And even if better, is it just overkill better ? Then there's the higher cost....

Actually, what I meant was that hen they had their comparative data sheet available, the mojority of it looked pretty ho hum...bar a couple of jewels...nothing wrong with supertech...and I wouldn't have paid the RP penalty for (particularly e.g.) the 5W30

Correct me if I am wrong, but, presently, is most or all Royal Purple motor oil API SN now, and their last redeeming motor oil perhaps their API SL 0W-40, containing the words Synerlec? If API SN, I would agree it probably is formulated most the same as everything else to get that API SN rating and nothing special other than the color..

The XPR and HPS still have the Synerlec additive. Those are top notch oils,as were their old Synerlec street oils.

Originally Posted by Redright9
Just as the title states, not trying to argue the quality of the oil, but just why do they market/sell the oil in the way they do? Wouldn't they make more money if they started selling it to big box stores? Why only sell through authorized sellers? I don't understand the reasoning behind this with them... Can someone help me understand why they sell this way?

Thank you

They're an old American company running on an original business model that's stood the test of time.

Unlike Sears, whatever they're doing is working so I doubt they're hurting for money and feel a need to change.

I think originally when AJ started out and no funds to compete with the big boys the dealer approach may have been the only way to go, they have stated that they are committed to that approach in the future and will not change it. However, in today;s internet based world in reality the dealer is almost a useless tool. When I started using Amsoil back in the early 90s the dealer was a needed piece, he provided expertise and also (in my case) actually had an inventory of the product. I was a dealer back then but just to get the price breaks. Now, just order it online, have it shipped etc. really don't need a dealer etc. I no longer use Amsoil as there are too many good synthetics that are significantly better priced with better availability. I feel that the dealer network will become even more useless as time moves on, just my opinion.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Originally Posted by madRiver
A big box store HAS NO MARKETING. It is shelf space for a product that needs a rep to explain its benefits and why you would feel better about using it vs other excellent oils that are less expensive. Amsoil is half direct marketing and half product for people.

Once you loose marketing Amsoil is left with a more expensive price tag on huge shelf with a sea of products.

A lot of times in retail a company has to pay for the shelf space. Or they pay to be a preferred supplier and get their product on an endcap versus down an aisle.

Almost ALL shelf space in stores is paid for...

Having set up a grocery store from the ground up... Having the plan o grams... Everything having to be exactly right... It is bought and paid for.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Almost ALL shelf space in stores is paid for...

Having set up a grocery store from the ground up... Having the plan o grams... Everything having to be exactly right... It is bought and paid for.

That is a term I haven't heard in years.... I hated those at Sears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back