17 F150 6R80 ATF oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question to owners or mechanics . How much fluid I need to buy to be safe for transmission 6R80 oil change.
In specs is 13.1 qt ( 12.4 L ), at Ford parts store they said that I just need 7 qt.

They will often tell you the "initial fill", this is basically the amount you need to drain and refill the pan. The other larger figure is pretty close to the total capacity of the system, torque converter, pan, cooler, lines, valve body assembly etc.

Most people do 3-4 drain pan and refill if you're at home.

Don't forget to check the TFT for the final check. The level should be in the B zone on the dipstick. Simply search the internet for the 6R80 TFT check pdf. You can check the TFT on some models through the in-cluster MFD. Some people use a IR thermometer, those are sketchy because of the emissivity of the pan. These days I just use a K-Type thermocouple attached to a DMM. Because of where the dipstick is on the 6R80 and how shallow the pan is, you could probably also use a meat thermometer.

Last edited:
Amsoil says 3.5 quarts for "initial fill". Not sure why they use that phrasing but in every other application I've looked at, this also happens to coincide with a typical drain-and-fill amount. They do say the same 13.1 quarts for total fill.

I dropped the pan on mine a couple of weeks ago. 6.5 quarts to refill after. I would suggest adding a pan with a drain plug as below to ease future changes. Just to confirm, you don't have the 3.5 eco as that engine got the 10R80 transmission in 2017?

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tcp71
I would suggest adding a pan with a drain plug as below to ease future changes.

I pop a cooler line loose and run it out the cooler line until I get bubbles, then shut it off.

That way, the pan is mostly empty when you drop it, and no need for a drain plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back