New tire time...225/55/19, all seasons...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ws6

Well, Ive got 9900mi on my cx5, and next oil change it will be new tire time.

I have had:

Wrg3 suv: horrible, Nokian is out.
Firestone destination le2: no wet traction, out.
General altimax rt43: not bad, im considering them.

Tires I am interested in:

Continental TrueContact Tour
Michelin Premier LTX, but I fear the bad tread life rating on tirerack.

What other recommendations or reviews are there from the forum? I value rain, snow, ice traction, handling, and a quiet ride, then treadlife. All in that order, but not much spread.

Last edited:
Get the Continentals. Stay away from the Michelins. Most people are not completely happy with them. I had problems with treadwear and cracking of the Michelin. Went to Continental True Contacts and they are great. Quiet, good traction and last a lot longer. Currently using them on Hyundai SantaFe and Tucson.

I just put Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady tires on my car not that long ago and couldn't be happier.

Originally Posted by JustN89
I just put Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady tires on my car not that long ago and couldn't be happier.

Very lucky. I've seen way to many out of round GY Assurances on my own cars, and customer cars. I don't think I would touch GY for a long time unless they change dramatically. Goodyear and Firestone/Bridgestone are my no buy list.
My vote.
Cooper Discover SRX
Or the General Tire Altimax RT43.

Originally Posted by mclasser
Why do you need new tires at only 10k miles?

Im down to 6/32 all 4. The tires are only 300 treadwear.

Originally Posted by Ws6

That's still a bit of tread. Sounds more like you want to replace just to replace and not out of need.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Originally Posted by Ws6

That's still a bit of tread. Sounds more like you want to replace just to replace and not out of need.

No, by 15k miles (next oil change) they will be around 3/32, unless they begin wearing slower. They went from 11/32 to 6 in 9900mi. So Ill need to change them in 2-3mo. Just gathering data, today.

Last edited:
I'll be getting the Vredestein Quatrac 5's once my house finally sells, if I like them on my 300 I'll get a set for the van as well.

Originally Posted by LubeFiner
Why do you dislike the Nokians? I have them on one of mine vehicles and love those tires. Wear a little quick otherwise they are great tires imo.

Loud, lasted only 20k mi, poor traction, very bad hydroplaning, impossible to balance well.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
I'll be getting the Vredestein Quatrac 5's once my house finally sells, if I like them on my 300 I'll get a set for the van as well.

Not available in 225/55/19

Last edited:
I have a Mazda 3 and have identified these as the next possible replacement. VREDESTEIN QUATRAC 5. They are available in your size at TireRack. Very good ratings.

Ray

Originally Posted by Ws6

Originally Posted by Skippy722

Not available in 225/55/19

Derp, my bad. I would suggest going to a 235/55/19 as that would put your speedometer within 1mph and opens up your tire selection a bit, but I think you have 7" wide wheels and a 235 is starting to push what's safe.

I've heard good things about the Goodyear Assurance from my father in law. Otherwise my brother loved his Continentals.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6

No, by 15k miles (next oil change) they will be around 3/32, unless they begin wearing slower. They went from 11/32 to 6 in 9900mi. So Ill need to change them in 2-3mo. Just gathering data, today.

It is good to be prepared. I like RT43's and have gone through 4 or 5 sets. I don't get close to rated miles, but then again, Michelin couldn't either.

But I suspect your tire wear may slow down as you round the bend towards 4/32's. Shorter tread blocks means less squirm, and tire wear may slow down for you. Not saying it'll magically go past 40k but they may still have enough tread at 15k that you might eek out 20k. Might. As always, keep an eye on it.

Originally Posted by RayCJ

I have a Mazda 3 and have identified these as the next possible replacement. VREDESTEIN QUATRAC 5. They are available in your size at TireRack. Very good ratings.

Ray

Not in 225/55/19.

Originally Posted by supton

It is good to be prepared. I like RT43's and have gone through 4 or 5 sets. I don't get close to rated miles, but then again, Michelin couldn't either.

But I suspect your tire wear may slow down as you round the bend towards 4/32's. Shorter tread blocks means less squirm, and tire wear may slow down for you. Not saying it'll magically go past 40k but they may still have enough tread at 15k that you might eek out 20k. Might. As always, keep an eye on it.

I'd like that, but I know I will need them before thanksgiving/when it could potentially snow.

....I've seen way to many out of round GY Assurances on my own cars, and customer cars...... Goodyear and Firestone/Bridgestone are my no buy list. .
We got GY Assurance Comfortreds 3.5 years ago & they are still smooth. Also have three used GY tires that are smooth & good. Had used Firestone & Bridgestone tires that wore & drove smooth. The Firestone Affinity tires ran at 90MPH, like they were doing 60MPH. Yeah, all my bought used tires have been smooth. I recommend used tires....... AND my mechanic to mount & balance tires & him to align my cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back