0W20 syn vs 5W20 syn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this question.
Both oils being full synthetic.

Does 0W20 full synthetic use a higher base stock oil(and other unseen additives) compared to a 5W20 full synthetic oil?
I do see differences in same brands(between the 2 grades) but more closeness from brand to brand.

I ask because when I look at many oils on the PQIA and make comparison between the two grades(full syn), I see some that are further apart from one another and others in which are very close. e.g., starting TBN, cST @ 40 degs F & 100 degs F and multiples of other measurements.

In other words, I could use one brand of 5W20 full syn that is close in its measured areas that is right on top of another brands 0W20 full syn.

Last edited:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...-differences-on-same-engines#Post5025586

Originally Posted by Gokhan
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by Gokhan
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I wonder if the M1 EP 0W20 and 5W20 have the same exact chemistries?
No, M1 EP 5W-20 has less than half the PAO M1 EP 0W-20 has according to the MSDSs.
Are you using the regular EP or the high mileage version? This is one of the oils that I have been thinking about trying in my Accord.

I'm using the regular M1 EP 0W-20 SN PLUS.

All or most contain some POE ester (2 - 10%). Most may contain some Group I solvent. All except M1 AFE 0W-16, M1 EP 0W-20, and M1 AP 0W-20 use Group III for the rest of the base oil. M1 AFE 0W-16, M1 EP 0W-20, and M1 AP 0W-20 are unlikely to have any Group III or GTL.

M1 AFE 0W-16: PAO-based

M1 AFE 0W-20: 1/2 PAO-based and some GTL
M1 EP 0W-20: PAO-based
M1 EP HM 0W-20: only a dash of PAO (less than 10%)
M1 HM 0W-20: 1/4 PAO- and 1/4 GTL-based
M1 AP 0W-20: PAO-based

M1 5W-20: 2/3 GTL
M1 EP 5W-20: 1/3 PAO, a dash of GTL
M1 EP HM 5W-20: only a dash of PAO (less than 10%)
M1 HM 5W-20: 1/4 GTL, a dash of PAO
M1 AP 5W-20: 1/4 PAO

even higher performing low viscosity real synthetics are prone to quicker burn off, but surely better than fake group synthetics. oils are blended to a performance + price point + blenders use the most cost effective base oils + additives to get what they want. with typical fake synthetics selling @ lower pricing there must be an overstock of group base oils IMO. just got quaker state "full synthetic" ultimate durability 5 or 10 W 30 @ wallys $17.97 for 5 qt container, rivaling super-tech pricing!!

Group III base oils are used to blend a 0W20 and also a 5W20 oil. Group 3 base oils are produced by Hydro-cracking, Hydro-isomerization, and Hydro-treating, which make these oils pure. API defines group III as base stocks containing greater than or equal to 90 percent saturates and less than or equal to 0.03 percent sulfur and have a viscosity index greater than or equal to 120. This group may be described as Synthetic Technology oils or Hydro-Cracked Synthetic oil. However, some oil companies may call their products under this group as synthetic oil. Others call PAO-based oils as synthetic. PAO is generally 5-6 times as costly as a Group III base oil. But both of them have similar properties. (PAO has a little less volatility than a Group III oil).

A 0W20 can be used at ambient temperature as low as (-) 35 Deg C while a 5W20 oil can be used at ambient temperature as low as (-) 30 Deg C.

In general, Oil companies use the same additive system to blend both these grades and hence their chemistry is similar.

I know a little bit about oils. I am presently working as a VP (Sales & Technology) in a Lubricant Plant and have put in 40+ years of service.

They have to use more VII or better base stock because 0w20 will have higher volatility. The point of not having any 0w20 dino but 5w20 dino / blend tells you something about it being harder to make.

IMO 5w20 synthetic is good enough for 0w20 synthetic substitute. Car companies spec 0w20 to avoid people using 5w20 dino for 10K OCI thinking that it is fine, but you should be fine running 5w20 synthetic for 10K OCI.

Originally Posted by vsssarma
... I know a little bit about oils. I am presently working as a VP (Sales & Technology) in a Lubricant Plant and have put in 40+ years of service.

I hope you hang around the forum more!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PandaBear
They have to use more VII or better base stock because 0w20 will have higher volatility. ...
IMO 5w20 synthetic is good enough for 0w20 synthetic substitute. Car companies spec 0w20 to avoid people using 5w20 dino for 10K OCI thinking that it is fine, but you should be fine running 5w20 synthetic for 10K OCI.
I'm substituting synthetic 5W-20 in an engine for which 0W-20 is specified. I'm hoping (without solid proof) that this might reduce the risk of ring coking, assuming the 5W-20 has lower volatility and lower VII loading than same-brand, same-line 0W-20.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back