Protecting The Brass Deflector

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted by bubbatime
I have installed BCM extractor upgrade kits to help eject the sca.
Are y'all going to pick me apart now for doing this?

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Extractor-Spring-Uprade-Kit-p/bcm-exspring-1.htm

The rubber donut adds too much pressure on the extractor, which has caused malfunctions for me. I don't really care for the BCM extractor spring and rubber donut. I think the Colt Gold spring is the gold standard. Just the perfect amount of spring pressure, not too much, not too little. I buy them 10 at a time from Brownells...

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...-extractor-spring-assembly-prod4840.aspx

Being I shoot sca, I experimented with the donut on vs off. You're correct, as is BCM, it's not needed.
Do you think I will see an improvement with the Colt over the BCM?

My AR has been 100% reliable with the factory extractor spring, but I appreciate the recommendation, Bubbatime, and will order up some spares.

My DMPS .308 has the donut, and extraction has never been an issue with that gun (short cycling has, but that's another story, I've posted on how it is picky about lube choice).

BOF, if you choose to protect the deflector, go ahead. The occasional brass mark there never bothered me. They always came right off with a little Hoppe's. Steel marks, or finish damage, would bother me. But then, I don't shoot steel cased ammo in my ARs. I just don't see the point.

Originally Posted by Astro14
My AR has been 100% reliable with the factory extractor spring, but I appreciate the recommendation, Bubbatime, and will order up some spares.

My DMPS .308 has the donut, and extraction has never been an issue with that gun (short cycling has, but that's another story, I've posted on how it is picky about lube choice).

BOF, if you choose to protect the deflector, go ahead. The occasional brass mark there never bothered me. They always came right off with a little Hoppe's. Steel marks, or finish damage, would bother me. But then, I don't shoot steel cased ammo in my ARs. I just don't see the point.

It's cheaper in price than brass. And, I ONLY shoot sca when plinking, target practice, etc. When I use brass ammo, it's usually Winchester. Right now, at this moment, my bedside AR has a 30 rd. mag loaded with Winchester White Box 55 gr. FMJ.
(Flamesuit on, because I'm quite sure someone will NOT like my choice in brass ammo)

WWB.jpeg

I gave you accurate information on the correct function of your ar-15. Correct function of any weapon should be paramount to any weapon owner.You are welcome. After reading your sardonic and paranoid scathing statements above,maybe you should relieve yourself of weapons. See a doctor.

1) if you want to be OCD, rock on.
2) ejection pattern is secondary to function...do it do the work? Okay...
3) steel case ammo is typically loaded very light. All of my guns were made to run ammunition pushing milspec pressures, with or without a suppressor. This means my 14.5 is launching 70gr browntip at 2800fps. If it were ported to run cheap Brown Bear or wherever unsuppressed, it would be very overgassed running m855a1 or browntip or mk262 with a can. The whole "if it wont run any fuel I put in it..." line makes no sense to me. I have good ammo. I use good ammo. Im not going to be scavenging Wolf polyformance off "da skreetz", and I dont care to compromise function for that junk.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
I have installed BCM extractor upgrade kits to help eject the sca.
Are y'all going to pick me apart now for doing this?

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Extractor-Spring-Uprade-Kit-p/bcm-exspring-1.htm

The rubber donut adds too much pressure on the extractor, which has caused malfunctions for me. I don't really care for the BCM extractor spring and rubber donut. I think the Colt Gold spring is the gold standard. Just the perfect amount of spring pressure, not too much, not too little. I buy them 10 at a time from Brownells...

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...-extractor-spring-assembly-prod4840.aspx

The "donut" was an interim solution until the spring linked came about. The Colt spring, alone, is currently spec'ed for everything from the mk12 to the mk18, and is what I would recommend.

Originally Posted by NOTEVIL81
Read the information i posted above bubba. Simple deduction "ejected cases are striking the deflector". When Stoner designed the ar upper right here in Costa Mesa Ca. it was to accommodate the various bullet weights and lengths at that time. We all know propellant problems from Vietnam.we are talking about a weapon invented in 1957 and sold to Malaysia in 1959. The year is 2019. The industry has improved the weapon in all aspects. Many of us run slab side uppers "no deflector". Cases striking the deflector is cause of concern for longevity of said weapon. The case deflection beyond 4:30 is an indication of improper dwell timing of the bolt and barrel extension.

Have you observed weapon function via high speed videography? The further forward the cases eject, the harder they are hitting the deflector/rear of the ejection port, typically. Further, casing impact on the deflector has zero bearing on weapon longevity. Overgassing, however, does.

Originally Posted by NOTEVIL81
Wow your are welcome.Ignorance is bliss. definition of short stroking is an ejection of spent cartridge beyond 4:30. Cartridge ejection should occur between 3:00 and 4:30.I gave you the information to solve your ejection problem.Now that you stated your shooting steel cased ammo the majority of that import. This powder burns leaving greater soot too block the gas tube and gasblock . Nothing wrong with steel case ammo in the ar-15. Certified armorer colt 1911 and m4.

The definition of short stroking is a weapon that will a) fail to strip and feed the 1st round from a 30 round magazine when admin reloaded with 1 in the chamber (impulse too weak to overcome friction of round stack against bottom of carrier) -OR- a weapon which will not lock back the bcg fully/correctly when held somewhat loosely, after the last round is fired from the magazine. -OR- a weapon which offers failures traced to ineffective cycling impulse otherwise. Undergassing as diagnosed by ejection angle ignores too many other mechanical variables, although generally the more impulse function a m4/AR weapon has, the more forward it will eject and visa verse. However, a weapon which meets all other criteria, is not undergassed, regardless of ejection angle.

Maybe I'm missing out on why all the criticism, but it makes perfect sense to me.

It's your gun, you protect it and maintain it any way you like (which sounds like you DO know what the heck you're doing). I shoot brass and steel case stuff out of my ARs and don't have any issues. I cheated and used the stick-em on hook part of 'velcro' on mine.

Mine is stoked with Winchester 'white box' 55gr soft points.

Originally Posted by HouseTiger
Maybe I'm missing out on why all the criticism, but it makes perfect sense to me.

It's your gun, you protect it and maintain it any way you like (which sounds like you DO know what the heck you're doing). I shoot brass and steel case stuff out of my ARs and don't have any issues. I cheated and used the stick-em on hook part of 'velcro' on mine.

Mine is stoked with Winchester 'white box' 55gr soft points.

Right on brother!
thumbsup2.gif

A brass deflector protector. I've seen it all now. It's an AR not a Holland & Holland double rifle.

Originally Posted by hatt
A brass deflector protector. I've seen it all now. It's an AR not a Holland & Holland double rifle.

That about sums it up.
36.gif

Originally Posted by hatt

Did you pay for my AR? NO! So, that means if I want to paint it pink, I CAN! If I want to pinstripe it red white and blue, I CAN! Why? Because it's MINE and I paid for it.
It's like a bad dream, you'll get over it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back