2019 4Runner TRD PRO 2036mi Rotella T4 10w30 2571mi on vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
First run on Rotella T4 10w30 in my new 4Runner with the 1GR-FE 4.0 first 534 miles were run on FF and dumped. This sample is running the Rotella with a TG10058 filter, the filter remains in place and I just dumped the oil. Will run this fill out to 5k which will be about 2,500 on the oil.

At the time of the change this oil had 50 hours on it.

Enjoy.

[Linked Image]

That's nice oil, good qty of moly as well as extra calcium, zinc, and phosphorous compared to SN+ oils.

I ran up 30ppm Si, 23 Fe, 17 Cu just replacing the timing chains and whatnot as shown in my previous UOA. Your numbers on a new engine are favorable in comparison. Lots of FIPG sealant on the timing cover washing Si into the oil.

Originally Posted by K20FA5
Looks good. Out of curiosity, why are you running a diesel oil in your 4 liter?

Engine originally specified 5w30 when released, owners manual has verbiage allowing/recommending thicker oil for towing, hauling, off road use, 15w40 accepted for Australia and Puerto Rico markets. Those are the CYA reasons why I feel that I have the latitude to run this oil.

Not a lot to dislike about Rotella T4 either, solid add pack with Magnesium 450+ Calcium nearly 2000, Phosphorus over 1000, Zinc over 1200 and a nice slug of Moly and Boron to round it out. Not to mention HTHS 3.5 and a really solid starting TBN.

Besides all that I had a bunch of it that I bought cheap and didn't feel bad running for a short OCI to flush out the break in metals. Once I'm out of T4 I have lots of M1 10w30 EP that I bought cheap as well.

Originally Posted by crainholio
That's nice oil, good qty of moly as well as extra calcium, zinc, and phosphorous compared to SN+ oils.

I ran up 30ppm Si, 23 Fe, 17 Cu just replacing the timing chains and whatnot as shown in my previous UOA. Your numbers on a new engine are favorable in comparison. Lots of FIPG sealant on the timing cover washing Si into the oil.

Si is way down from my first sample posted above, seems to be washing out nicely over time, it was 174 after 534 miles on the first sample.

Originally Posted by ChemLabNL
T4 10w30 is an excellent oil...Maybe try the Rotella T1 30 in Florida
smile.gif

If the add pack in the T1 SAE 30 Rotella I'd probably consider it, but the add pack isn't nearly as good as the T4 due to the SA limit of the T1.

I'd absolutely run Delo 400 SD 15w30 if I could find it at a reasonable price again.

Originally Posted by PlzRepond
My dream car right there! Thanks for sharing bro

No problem, so far I'm enjoying everything about it but the fuel economy, which is worse than my already low expectations.

I keep thinking I should get a new 4Runner, but I barely drive the 22 year old one I have now, and a new one wouldn't get anymore use. But I do like that new vehicle smell...

I take it you won't be using the 2 years of free maintenance (basically oil changes) Toyota offers. Or maybe they've stopped offering that, I haven't kept up with their promotions.

Anyway congrats. What color is your TRD Pro?

Originally Posted by 02SE
I keep thinking I should get a new 4Runner, but I barely drive the 22 year old one I have now, and a new one wouldn't get anymore use. But I do like that new vehicle smell...

I take it you won't be using the 2 years of free maintenance (basically oil changes) Toyota offers. Or maybe they've stopped offering that, I haven't kept up with their promotions.

I bought mine in Super White. Didn't want black for a vehicle I take off road, didn't like the Voodoo blue as the special 2019 PRO color.

I will entertain the dealership oil changes if they'll use a 5w30 oil, or I may let them dump in 0w20 and then top off with some Schaeffers 271 Moly EP addative to bump it into the 30 range. Haven't made it anywhere near the first service mileage yet so that's a future battle.

Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3
Originally Posted by 02SE

I bought mine in Super White. Didn't want black for a vehicle I take off road, didn't like the Voodoo blue as the special 2019 PRO color.

I will entertain the dealership oil changes if they'll use a 5w30 oil, or I may let them dump in 0w20 and then top off with some Schaeffers 271 Moly EP addative to bump it into the 30 range. Haven't made it anywhere near the first service mileage yet so that's a future battle.

Super White is a good color on these (ours is Super White too). I let the dealer do one change on ours. I would just rather do it myself and know it's done correctly. They also give free changes on my truck and keep calling me to tell me to bring it in
smile.gif

My moms 2016 4Runner went 12k on the factory fill. Those were almost all highway/interstate miles though. It was taken out of state several times and she let it miss it's 10k service. I changed it at ~22k with Napa 0w20 Full Synthetic, I'll probably change it at 5k intervals from here on out. I have enough 0w20 to change it one more time and then I might bump it up to 5w30. I intend to change the filter every other oil change.

Originally Posted by BlakeB
My moms 2016 4Runner went 12k on the factory fill. Those were almost all highway/interstate miles though. It was taken out of state several times and she let it miss it's 10k service. I changed it at ~22k with Napa 0w20 Full Synthetic, I'll probably change it at 5k intervals from here on out. I have enough 0w20 to change it one more time and then I might bump it up to 5w30. I intend to change the filter every other oil change.

The filter on the PRO is a real pain to change, have to pull the 1/4" thick skid plate to gain access to it, unlike the Tacoma PRO which has a trap door to access the filter, the 4Runner has no such access. Skid plate must come off. I plan to run 10k on a filter and likely 5k on the oil.

Originally Posted by BlakeB

The filter on the PRO is a real pain to change, have to pull the 1/4" thick skid plate to gain access to it, unlike the Tacoma PRO which has a trap door to access the filter, the 4Runner has no such access. Skid plate must come off. I plan to run 10k on a filter and likely 5k on the oil.

She has a Trail Premium and it's a pain to change the filter on it too. I have a lift so that makes it easier, but you'd think they could have gave us an access panel/door or something for the filter housing. There's a skid plate and a plastic panel to remove, plus the little cover for the drain plug.

DE5B7B2D-7BF1-404C-BC42-94D4A55F3471.jpeg

Originally Posted by ChemLabNL
T4 10w30 is an excellent oil...Maybe try the Rotella T1 30 in Florida
smile.gif

If the add pack in the T1 SAE 30 Rotella I'd probably consider it, but the add pack isn't nearly as good as the T4 due to the SA limit of the T1.

I'd absolutely run Delo 400 SD 15w30 if I could find it at a reasonable price again.

Delo 15w30 is ideal...If you don't want to go Amsoil ACD 30.
Otherwise, T4 10w30 is hard to beat.

Latest T1 30 spec sheet:

https://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en/9e0808b9-e2f7-4915-9442-61c8ed98bdc8.pdf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back