Arteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.emedicinehealth.com/har...ardening_of_the_arteries_atherosclerosis

Take care of your heart like you take care of your car engine, you will not have clogged arteries all over your body...remember those clogged oil passages are like arteries, keep them clean, eat correctly..imho. In the United States, approximately 720,000 heart attacks occur annually. Nearly 380,000 people die annually from coronary heart disease.

Diet and exercise are not a cure-all. Ancient Egyptian mummies had age related atherosclerosis matching our own. Being overweight is a problem, for sure. However, this is an amazingly complex subject and those that claim to have a solution are regularly proven incorrect.

http://imaging.onlinejacc.org/content/4/4/315

ABOUT MUMMIES:

Quote: "had either definite atherosclerosis (defined as calcification within the wall of an identifiable artery, n = 12) or probable atherosclerosis (defined as calcifications along the expected course of an artery, n = 8). Calcifications were found in the aorta as well as the coronary, carotid, iliac, femoral, and peripheral leg arteries. The 20 mummies with definite or probable atherosclerosis were older at time of death (mean age 45.1 ± 9.2 years) than the mummies with CV tissue but no atherosclerosis (mean age 34.5 ± 11.8 years, p < 0.002). "

The list of items that reduce the risk of atherosclerosis can be found at:

[Linked Image]

the following factors increase risk:

Rheumatoid arthritis
Steroid use
Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
Smoking
Kawasaki's disease
Use of Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs e.g. ibuprofen, naproxen and suchlike.
Being a deep coal miner - especially in Russia
Using cocaine
Getting older
Getting up in the morning - especially on Mondays
Type II diabetes
Raised fibrinogen level
Cushing's disease
Air pollution
Acute physical or psychological stress
Chronic kidney disease
Avastin - a cancer drug
Looking at one of these risk factors, System Lupus Erythematosus. Young women with this condition have, in some studies, an increased risk of CVD of 5,500%.

Last edited:
It's interesting to note that high cortisol levels (stress hormone) whether through steroid use, natural causes (Cushing's disease) or high stress levels is very highly correlated with heart disease.

Conversely, low cortisol levels (Addison's) is highly correlated with clear arteries. Unfortunately it's also associated with severe and fatal heart rhythm problems.

Dr. Kendrick has a fantastic blog on heart disease. It's not what you think and we don't have a handle on it. There are at least 60 parts to this blog, it's worth it!

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2016/01/18/what-causes-heart-disease/

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2016/01/21/what-causes-heart-disease-part-ii/

etc.

Quote:

"I have entitled this little series ‘What causes heart disease?' But I have been at pains to point out that you cannot possibly establish potential causes heart disease, until you are clear about the underlying process."

Last edited:
I recently read the obituary of a man who died of a stroke at age 72. It said that his wife probably will no longer follow their vegan diet.

I remember 35 years ago, health researchers funded by corporate America were trying to figure out why the French can eat such fattening foods yet have a low rate of heart problems. They were convinced it was because of the copious amounts of wine they consume. The researchers were working hard trying to isolate the chemical in wine that favorably affects this.

Then someone pointed out that Americans work much harder and were considerably more stressed out than the French. The research into wine quickly went away.

there are many variables to say the least, but lots of incorrect info fueled by big $$$$ sickcare as i call it is poor in the USA as its more about the $$$. check out the many you tubes by DR Ken D Berry a real MD that debunks many of todays beliefs + notes the incorrect-out of date recommendations he was that he was taught in med school!! he just wrote a second edition of "lies my Dr told me" a real eye opener!!!

So is oatmeal still good for you, or is it out now? It's kinda hard keeping up with all the quacks.

Sedentary lifestyle. North Americans probably have the most sedentary lifestyle among the developed world.

That said, I would prefer to die of heart attack than stuff like cancer. A quick death is far better than a slow painful death. My pain threshold is rather on the low side.

Originally Posted by supton
So is oatmeal still good for you, or is it out now? It's kinda hard keeping up with all the quacks.

What has never been out, always in, fruits and vegetables in natural form (no fruit juice) along with minimally refined grains.

Eat an apple a day was right 50 years ago and still today.

Get vitamins and minerals from food not pills and supplements.

Don't add sugar or salt to anything you are eating. It may be needed during the cooking, but don't add any more on your plate.

I like apples but I tend to avoid them, kinda high in sugar. Good in pie though.
wink.gif
I prefer my grapes aged a bit though.

I thought salt was back in? Well, it's no longer evil, that is. I actually no longer care much to eat out, too much salt in most stuff. Homemade stuff is just so much better, even if it's something quick and not that tasty (salad or pasta or similar).

I've been trying to watch my potassium lately, I sweat profusely in summer and have been having palpitations from time to time. I've wondered about taking something for that, as one quack says fructose is bad for you (banana's and raisins) and many of them say carbs are bad in general (potatoes). Hard keeping it straight what I should and shouldn't eat (so I don't pay attention anymore). The recommendations will just change anyhow.

At 54 had a heart attack 95% blockage one arterie. Never smoked, ate good, light drinker ,worked out and never felt bad. Hoofed a 7 story building to the roof three times in less that two hours working a week before. Had a physical every year since 45 never said go to a cardiologist. Bottom line was stress and should of picked different parents.

Originally Posted by Fitter30
Bottom line was stress and should of picked different parents.

That's one thing I gotta thank my parents for, especially my dad.
He always taught me that me as an individual, my thoughts, dreams and ideas are worth far more than any job is willing to pay me or money I could make.
As a result I've valued my health as a far greater asset than anything I could buy.

I take no prescription drugs, but make sure to rest and play a little each day.
About to turn 40 and still getting busted for ID when buying booze.
true story
coffee2.gif

Oatmeal is still in,,it is recommended if you need to lose weight n Plant Based Eating programs.

Important to get eggs, gouda chees, and offal into the diet to get that all important Vitamin K2.

Linus Pauling proved that he could induce artery blockage by irritating any given artery with excess insulin (sound familiar), and the body would lay down a protective layer of cholesterol rich deposits...remove the excess insulin, and it went away...pick another artery and do it over again...he could even induce blockage in a vein (which doesn't happen naturally).

Blaming cholesterol for plaque is like blaming firemen for house fires.

There's a whole body of research emerging about the risks of low cholesterol...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3442317/

In an age- and sex-adjusted analysis, participants with S-TC ⥠6mmol/l had the lowest risk of death (hazard ratio, HR = 0.48, 95% CI 0.33-0.70) compared with those with S-TC < 5 mmol/l. HR of death for a 1 mmol increase in S-TC was 0.78. In multivariate analyses, the HR of death for a 1 mmol increase in S-TC was 0.82 and using S-TC < 5 mmol/l as a reference, the HR of death for S-TC ⥠6 mmol/l was 0.59 (95% CI 0.39-0.89) and for S-TC 5.0-5.9 mmol/l, the HR was 0.62 (95% CI 0.42-0.93). In a PS-adjusted model using S-TC < 5 mmol/l as a reference, the HR of death for S-TC ⥠6 mmol/l was 0.42 (95% CI 0.28-0.62) and for S-TC 5.0-5.9 mmol/l, the HR was 0.57 (95% CI 0.38-0.84). Conclusions. Participants with low serum total cholesterol seem to have a lower survival rate than participants with an elevated cholesterol level, irrespective of concomitant diseases or health status.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5908176/
Changes in cholesterol levels in either direction to low cholesterol or persistently low cholesterol levels were associated with higher risk of mortality. Particularly, spontaneous decline in cholesterol levels may be a marker for worsening health conditions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CourierDriver

Oatmeal is still in,,it is recommended if you need to lose weight n Plant Based Eating programs.

Caveat: flavored instant oatmeal is crammed full of sugar and salt. Cook the plain kind and add a little spices and/or dried fruit to it, it's awesome and much cheaper to boot.

We all have an expiration date. It's cause/manner in each case. Keep the body healthy and treat it like it's your life.....

Originally Posted by MrMoody
Caveat: flavored instant oatmeal is crammed full of sugar and salt. Cook the plain kind and add a little spices and/or dried fruit to it, it's awesome and much cheaper to boot.
Yes. I add 6 dried cherries to my 90g of oats. I was ~20 before I learned it's possible to make and eat oatmeal without raisins, which my mother always added.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back