Found a Premium Blue Restore VOA

So I happened to come across this VOA for Valvoline Premium Blue Restore.

Link for those interested.

I searched and I couldn't find any VOAs for this oil yet on BITOG.

Originally Posted by old1
But what is the deal with the viscosity at 100c at only 1.7?

Wondered that as well. Typo I assumed, it may be 11.7.

Audios, Ryder Fleet Products is the only online place I've found it. If someone on the board were to buy a gallon, and send me a sample container's worth, I would be willing to send it to TestOil for a UOA which would include a particle count. Just sayin'....

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Audios, Ryder Fleet Products is the only online place I've found it. If someone on the board were to buy a gallon, and send me a sample container's worth, I would be willing to send it to TestOil for a UOA which would include a particle count. Just sayin'....

I will buy some when the Accord is due for an oil change. Probably sometime this fall.

What's shown looks very good. It is interesting to know the oxidation value because the patent for this oil gives away clues as to which of the multiple recipes they made was chosen for the mass produced product. So we know how much and what type of ester was used. That allows the relationship to be estimated between ester concentration and oxidation value. I would have guessed it to be higher for this oil since it has so much ester and because Red Line's regular street oils have oxidation values of around 90, vs 110 for VPBR. That tells me that those Red Line oils have more ester than I previously would have guessed. I don't doubt that the type of ester, at a given concentration, can affect the oxidation value since the percent mass of oxygen atoms in the ester molecule varies, so an estimation of ester concentration from oxidation values will have some error. Further error is caused by oxygen-containing additives caring from one type of motor oil to another but this tends to fairly consistently result in oxidation values of around 8, as shown by motor oils containing no ester.

If this is the holy grail for detergency.. then why does Redline have much more detergent additives?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5015428/red-line-0w-30-voa

[Linked Image]

krismoria, I think that detergent additives have a quite limited ability to remove deposits from surfaces. It would be interesting to know how the cleaning ability of various esters at various concentrations compares to various detergent additives at typical concentrations. Consider that this Valvoline oil has around 500,000 PPM of POE, so it has a huge concentration advantage over the detergent additives.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
If this is the holy grail for detergency.. then why does Redline have much more detergent additives?

Because detergents don't actually "deterge" like the tiny scrubbing bubbles in a toilet bowl. Detergents are acid neutralizers. Their job is to attack acidic growth in the oil to neutralize it so the acid doesn't become a catalyst for further oxidation, varnish, amd sludge. The job of the detergents is to keep the oil clean, not the engine. In order to mop up deposits, you need solvents. POE is a good solvent and VPBR contains around 50% POE.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR

Because detergents don't actually "deterge" like the tiny scrubbing bubbles in a toilet bowl. Detergents are acid neutralizers. Their job is to attack acidic growth in the oil to neutralize it so the acid doesn't become a catalyst for further oxidation, varnish, amd sludge. The job of the detergents is to keep the oil clean, not the engine. In order to mop up deposits, you need solvents. POE is a good solvent and VPBR contains around 50% POE.

Not sure what you mean by POE..did you mean PAO? if that is the case Why not this? its 100 Percent PAO.

https://www.hotshotsecret.com/shop/blue-diamond-pao-oil/

Not sure what you mean by POE..did you mean PAO? if that is the case Why not this? its 100 Percent PAO.

https://www.hotshotsecret.com/shop/blue-diamond-pao-oil/

POE = Polyol Ester
PAO = Polyalpha olefin

I would also be skeptical of an additive that claims to be 100% PAO. PAO has very poor solubility which is why PAO based engine oils are blended with naphthenics and esters to give it some solvency to solubilize the additive package. If they have any beneficial additives mixed in that 100% PAO, they would have very poor miscibility, almost certainly settling out of suspension just sitting on a shelf at the parts store.

Last edited:

I would also be skeptical of an additive that claims to be 100% PAO..

LOL.... click that link:

"Hot Shot's Secret 5W40 and 15W40 CK4 specification are 100% pure synthetic using only Group IV and Group V base oils"

Since when did PAO become both a Group IV and Group V at the same time?

Originally Posted by Linctex

I would also be skeptical of an additive that claims to be 100% PAO..

LOL.... click that link:

"Hot Shot's Secret 5W40 and 15W40 CK4 specification are 100% pure synthetic using only Group IV and Group V base oils"

Since when did PAO become both a Group IV and Group V at the same time?

I didn't click the link. I was just going off his post. It obviously would have something in it for solvency.

Accidentally found a PDS on Valvoline Premium Blue Restore Gen 2…which I didn’t know existed. Please note: RESTORE and GEN 2. Compare that to “gen 1” voa. Just so im not confusing anyone, the gen 2 is the Data Sheet, and the gen 1 is the amateur screen shot from Dyson VOA/UOA, which had higher viscosity, more zinc, phosphorus, etc., and differed a bit from the OP’s VOA From Speediagnostix. I wonder what the gen2 price is? I wonder why they changed it? is it still virtually all POE & PAO?
1664821771470.jpeg

Attachments

• 460FF9C5-9C2D-4111-9CBC-5212D9A7CCA2.jpg
    460FF9C5-9C2D-4111-9CBC-5212D9A7CCA2.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Accidentally found a PDS on Valvoline Premium Blue Restore Gen 2…which I didn’t know existed. Please note: RESTORE and GEN 2. Compare that to “gen 1” voa. Just so im not confusing anyone, the gen 2 is the Data Sheet, and the gen 1 is the amateur screen shot from Dyson VOA/UOA, which had higher viscosity, more zinc, phosphorus, etc., and differed a bit from the OP’s VOA From Speediagnostix. I wonder what the gen2 price is? I wonder why they changed it? is it still virtually all POE & PAO?View attachment 119644
That oxidation figure clearly shows ester. They used to claim 50% POE. Who knows what it really is.

Back