Why such a low temp thermostat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My old diesel with aluminium head, mostly pre-emission, got a 160° from factory, along with an oil cooler, same cars with gas engines got a regular 190°, I always thought it was to keep the oil temperature fairly low (the turbo is oil cooled), because oils of that era didn't like high heat much, but maybe it was a naive thought.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Pre-emissions and less airflow through the rad than an automobile?

Pre-emissions is the key. Has nothing to do with airflow, in fact this is one of those things a lot of people get confused about. Assuming equal airflow a radiator is far more efficient when filled with 200 degree coolant vs. 160 degree coolant. Far more temp differential.

It has a solid mounted fan that blows like a hurricane.

Reason I bring this up is because the top end is pretty dirty. I assume from the oil not getting hot enough to evaporate the moisture. Also. No pcv system, just a vented cap.

I blocked part of the radiator last night and let it run about 185F for about an hour.

First, your radiator is a non-pressurized system and, from the factory, was designed for water only. Back then, the tight-wad farmers didn't add antifreeze. If they did, it was alcohol-based, which had a low boiling point. During the cold winter in all places except California, the water was usually drained every night. Also, your gas tank sits very close to your engine. They didn't want the gas to vaporize because it was so close to the hot block.
A couple of weeks ago, I drove my Oliver 70 about 10 miles in 90° weather. (Google for a photo of an Oliver 70. From the factory, it had enclosed tin around the engine) Now gas is different than it was back in 1938 when it was built, but my tractor did experience vapor lock the final two miles of driving. Your 180° MIGHT work, unless your are plowing the back 40 in high temperatures.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Tman220

Pre-emissions is the key. Has nothing to do with airflow, in fact this is one of those things a lot of people get confused about. Assuming equal airflow a radiator is far more efficient when filled with 200 degree coolant vs. 160 degree coolant. Far more temp differential.

Yes , greater delta T . Assuming constant / consistent ambient temperature .

Your tractor was designed for that temperature thermostat. Going hotter is risky. Car engine operates at 10% load most of the time. When working a tractor engine is over 80% load, it is severe service. I had a old allis, I added a pvc system and oil vapor separator. The oil did stay cleaner. When mowing, it did get the oil hot enough to drive off the water, the catch can had to be drained every day. First day I must have drained a pint. Then it went down to about a ¼ cup.

Rod

Originally Posted by Kruse
First, your radiator is a non-pressurized system and, from the factory, was designed for water only. Back then, the tight-wad farmers didn't add antifreeze. If they did, it was alcohol-based, which had a low boiling point. During the cold winter in all places except California, the water was usually drained every night. Also, your gas tank sits very close to your engine. They didn't want the gas to vaporize because it was so close to the hot block.
A couple of weeks ago, I drove my Oliver 70 about 10 miles in 90° weather. (Google for a photo of an Oliver 70. From the factory, it had enclosed tin around the engine) Now gas is different than it was back in 1938 when it was built, but my tractor did experience vapor lock the final two miles of driving. Your 180° MIGHT work, unless your are plowing the back 40 in high temperatures.

Actually it is pressurized! 4 psi! It is hot. 100+ is common.

Originally Posted by mattwithcats
Thermosiphon cooling system?

No water pump, just physics moving hot water up, cold water down...

My 1949 Farmall "C" is Thermosiphon with a fan.

Later "Super C" engines got a water pump.

Originally Posted by mattwithcats
Thermosiphon cooling system?

No water pump, just physics moving hot water up, cold water down...

Its not that old LOL! It has a belt driven water pump.

My 49 Farmall C doesn't have a water pump at all...but it has a helluva fan on it

My 68 JD 3020D rad was designed for water only or people would add alcohol to the water, alcohol evaporates at 173 degrees...hence the 150 thermo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back