what are the chances of getting out of a traffic ticket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No me but my FiL got a sweetheart ending when he went to court. Asked me to drive him to court but never told me for what. So we get there and sitting in a court room and I ask him what the officers name was. I wanted to make sure we were in the right court room. Well he hands me the ticket and its for reckless driving. Reckless driving is VAs golden ticket they love to give out. Up to $2500 fine, 1 year of jail, and/or 6 month suspension of your drivers license.

Judge calls my fathers name and he, my 80+ year old FiL, walks up. After seeing the ticket I told him to plead No Contest in hopes he could get it lowered. So judge ask FiL how do you plead, in a low voice my FiL says, no contest your honor. so judge ask FiL if he like to say anything. I'm thinking a low no or just a quick sorry. Instead my FiL goes full on throw himself at the mercy of the court. Starts off with a "I am so poor, I only get $xxx a month...". The court room goes even more silent than it was before, people leaning forward to get a better glimpse, and my FiL still throwing the longest hail mary that court would probably see that day. After it ended the judge just froze for a second. He then asked the cop about my FiL. Cop said he was quiet and polite. Again the judge just froze. He then looks at my FiL and says, this is probably the lowest I have ever given for a reckless ticket. He then barked out $90 fine plus court cost. The entire court room was looking around to see if they heard the same an anyone else. The judge tells my FiL to slow down and both of them waving their hands as the my FiL trys to mimic the judge.

So we leave the court room, myself in shock like most that saw it, and paid I believe $140 or so total for a reckless driving ticket in VA.

I get being able to plead down a ticket cost amount for a specific violation or have it dismissed entirely due to first time offence or misunderstanding, but to to get caught for speeding and then have the system totally change the violation to an entirely different offence like seat belt or lane violation just shows how crooked the traffic system really is.

Might as well fight a conviction for stealing to plea down to public defecation. It's all about the money I suppose.

I haven't been pulled over much, but I got a 80 in a 65, and decided to just pay it, whatever, my fault. I also got pulled over doing 94 in a 55 because everybody figured the left two lanes were cruising lanes. The Judge saw I was in the military, lowered the offense and it's not even on my records.

Originally Posted by Miller88
He let us know that one of the lights went out but it started working again so we were good to go.

Funny story, my friend had an old 80s woody wagon and got pulled over for having a taillight out. The cop let him out of the car to look at it, my friend proceeded to hit the tail light to turn it on, and the cop laughed and let him go.

I got a speeding ticket thrown out by the judge once; only had to pay the court fees. And this was in VA, which is known for its rather draconian traffic laws.

If the option exists to ELECT to take driving school that promises "adjudication withheld" , do it.

Just about any other option carries risk of increased insurance premiums and significant secondary risk at your next ticket. Including unforeseen expenses such as paying the 3 year "Driver Responsibility Assessment"

Originally Posted by madRiver
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
I always call my lawyer as soon as the officer leaves and I have never had a speeding ticket stick.

Curiosity is how much does that cost per ticket roughly to have a lawyer involved?

Between $120 and $350, depending on the state, county, etc. Each one has been a little different.

The whole orientation of this thread is flawed. If you have to ask "how do I get out of a traffic ticket" then you shouldn't even have a drivers' license. The fact that lots of people have this attitude is hugely unfortunate, but irrelevant.

1. If you don't want a traffic ticket, then don't speed, run red lights or otherwise drive illegally.
2. If you like to speed, run red lights, or otherwise drive illegally, then have the stones to accept responsibility for your actions when you get caught.
3. If you made a simple mistake, own up to it. The officer knows people make mistakes. He may still issue you a ticket, but the judge also knows people make mistakes. If he finds you guilty, then chalk it up to a learning experience and think about how not to make the same mistake in the future.

Honestly, these concepts are basic things that apply to life in general that most of us learned as very small children. If you go through life with the goal of learning how best to avoid responsibility and get away with things you shouldn't be doing, then you're going to have a tough time.

Originally Posted by AlaskaMike
The whole orientation of this thread is flawed. If you have to ask "how do I get out of a traffic ticket" then you shouldn't even have a drivers' license. The fact that lots of people have this attitude is hugely unfortunate, but irrelevant.

1. If you don't want a traffic ticket, then don't speed, run red lights or otherwise drive illegally.
2. If you like to speed, run red lights, or otherwise drive illegally, then have the stones to accept responsibility for your actions when you get caught.
3. If you made a simple mistake, own up to it. The officer knows people make mistakes. He may still issue you a ticket, but the judge also knows people make mistakes. If he finds you guilty, then chalk it up to a learning experience and think about how not to make the same mistake in the future.

Honestly, these concepts are basic things that apply to life in general that most of us learned as very small children. If you go through life with the goal of learning how best to avoid responsibility and get away with things you shouldn't be doing, then you're going to have a tough time.

Well stated.

Originally Posted by Joel_MD
Apparently everyone who hit the car in front of them was cited for careless driving.

Well DUH! That's what happens when you're following too close or not paying attention.

Originally Posted by AlaskaMike

1. Got it. What about the known sections of road (small towns) where the speed limits change arbitrarily? Seems that there is always a cop waiting just behind the sign.

2. Or, have a lawyer and pony up. The letter of the law affords me the right to council - why should I waive this right and "take it on the chin?"

3. Why, oh why, would I admit guilt or bear witness to myself when the burden of proof is on the officer? Thank God it is not up to the officer to decide whether or not you are guilty.

The officer doesn't show up perhaps 15-20% of the time, in which case the entire ticket will be thrown out without any fine or conviction.

When I was an officer, there were times that I had to work 15 hours straight, followed by 9 hours off, followed by another 15 hours straight, followed by 9 hours off, followed by another 15 hours straight. Basically, my entire time off was sleeping and trying to catch up on rest. Sometimes, they would schedule a traffic ticket court date in during my 9 hours of sleep.... and well, I cant sit at the court house all day and get perhaps only 2 hours of sleep while working 30 hours. Cant do it. So there were times that I just didn't show for the court... try to reschedule it with the prosecutor and they just didn't care that I had to work 45 hours in 3 days AND fit some sleep in there too.

Originally Posted by Dave9
Depends on the municipality. Some depend on fines and will fight tooth and nail. Some recognize they're making money by harassing motorists. So, it's the judge. Research that or maybe not worth the bother for a low cost fine?.

All these little Texas municipalities don't have a "judge" in traffic court, they have a "Justice of the Peace"...

You will NEVER get a ticket dismissed.

I think they get paid from the same "income" that the local police officers do.

Law is NOT fair....................... Law is NOT just...........................

Originally Posted by WhyMe
So i went with mom to traffic court today to take care of a speeding ticket. state patrol said she was doing 70 in a 60 on i-90. of course mom says she was not speeding and wants to fight it.

We went and the court room had about 10 people in it. the prosecutor gave the options out like deferral , discussion or see the judge. i know the chances of winning in these small courts are close to zero unless represented by council. So we spoke to the prosecutor and was able to get a no seat belt ticket for $65 fine. does not go on record as moving violation.

what was surprising is 90% of the other folks either took the deferral, traffic class or something lower the prosecutor offered. i guess no one want to see the judge.

So with traffic tickets , how succesfull have you been on fighting it yourself? i told mom what happened was the best thing that could have been done today. am i wrong in thinking this way and should have fought it?

The 90% that took the deal either did not have the coin for excellent and competent legal representation, or had good records, or knew that they could take the hit. Curious, did the fine make the ticket a No Points? They usually do something like that. The courts are fine with the interests of justice being represented by a guilty plea, an increased fine, and if they give you no points then it is viewed as a win all around.

If your Mom wanted to fight it, they would have given her a different date, officer probably would have been there on a next date, would be given the chance to speak to the prosecutor first having pled not guilty the first time, then asked if she wanted to plead guilty to the amended charge etc. If a trial with the officer there, she would have lost, absolutely no question.

The rules seem to change when you get a competent and well-liked professional attorney, hopefully they hook you up with a good rate. Smiles and gladhanding all around and your case even goes first, since the attorney cases are more important than yours and you are virtually guaranteed an even better plea than they would give you if you went in there yourself. Many defense attorneys are former prosecutors also, and even the judge is basically a lawyer. They all went to the same law school.

As to all that about how you ended up in court. There are many reasons or takes on how you can get there. If you are on a docket and appearing in court then the officer has written you a ticket, and your license will be suspended if you do not address the matter.

1. Check third box on ticket, admitting no guilt & requesting a trial (bench trial, judge listens to evidence & decides innocence/guilt)
2. two weeks before your trial date, mail summons to police precinct requesting citing officer at trial date/time.
3. show up with your compelling argument why you are not guilty.

The point to the above process is to force the officer off the road, away from his lucrative citation issuance, and into court for an hour or so.
The sheriff & state patrol really can't be bothered with this demand,so unless you plowed into a mini-bus full of babies, they will be no-show,
which means you have not faced your accuser, which means the ticket is dropped & all fines & points VANISH.
If the judge asks if you would like to reschedule the trial for a future date the officer could appear at, your answer should be No Thanks.
EDIT: It helps to mail your subpoena request Registered Mail so you have physical proof of delivery, judge has never asked me for it but it's
$4-$5 fee to beat a $144-$650 ticket. $ well spent.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jimzz
No me but my FiL got a sweetheart ending when he went to court. Asked me to drive him to court but never told me for what. So we get there and sitting in a court room and I ask him what the officers name was. I wanted to make sure we were in the right court room. Well he hands me the ticket and its for reckless driving. Reckless driving is VAs golden ticket they love to give out. Up to $2500 fine, 1 year of jail, and/or 6 month suspension of your drivers license.

Judge calls my fathers name and he, my 80+ year old FiL, walks up. After seeing the ticket I told him to plead No Contest in hopes he could get it lowered. So judge ask FiL how do you plead, in a low voice my FiL says, no contest your honor. so judge ask FiL if he like to say anything. I'm thinking a low no or just a quick sorry. Instead my FiL goes full on throw himself at the mercy of the court. Starts off with a "I am so poor, I only get $xxx a month...". The court room goes even more silent than it was before, people leaning forward to get a better glimpse, and my FiL still throwing the longest hail mary that court would probably see that day. After it ended the judge just froze for a second. He then asked the cop about my FiL. Cop said he was quiet and polite. Again the judge just froze. He then looks at my FiL and says, this is probably the lowest I have ever given for a reckless ticket. He then barked out $90 fine plus court cost. The entire court room was looking around to see if they heard the same an anyone else. The judge tells my FiL to slow down and both of them waving their hands as the my FiL trys to mimic the judge.

So we leave the court room, myself in shock like most that saw it, and paid I believe $140 or so total for a reckless driving ticket in VA.

You got a sympathetic judge, for sure. Many a judge has figured out that the more money he makes for his employer, which is ultimately the State, the better bonus or prestige he will have. All that impartiality. Yeah, you are in Court defending your innocence just for being there. But, going with that.. I have seen people walk out of court charged with DWI because a lawyer pointed out that there was not some minutiae of law properly executed, a 20 minute uninterrupted period of observation or some such thing, I do not exactly remember. My jaw was on the floor.

The REAL GOTCHA, is if you are far away or out of state resident where you got the ticket. State of Illinois hands out like coin, out of state speeding tickets.

You got to drive back and do the above, which is a total pain the rear. Truck drivers get the shaft for sure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Smokescreen
I get being able to plead down a ticket cost amount for a specific violation or have it dismissed entirely due to first time offence or misunderstanding, but to to get caught for speeding and then have the system totally change the violation to an entirely different offence like seat belt or lane violation...

Yep, never heard of that before!

Last ticket I received (about 10 years ago) I had the option of accepting a 'continuance', which meant I paid the fine, but if I didn't get any more moving violations within 365 days the ticket magically vanishes. Took that route.

Originally Posted by hpb
Originally Posted by Smokescreen
I get being able to plead down a ticket cost amount for a specific violation or have it dismissed entirely due to first time offence or misunderstanding, but to to get caught for speeding and then have the system totally change the violation to an entirely different offence like seat belt or lane violation...

Yep, never heard of that before!

Sure way to take in fine revenue. It's all boils down to a money grab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back